• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Now is the time to buy 150 mm metric Starrett Combination Square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I have never contributed to this forum by my knowledge, just asked questions as I am an inexperienced hobby woodworker. Now it is time to help others.

I just want to share that amazon.co.uk now sells Starrett metric combination square (full version, not the student one) for only 27 pounds.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003XU78LI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There is no discount shown and I have checked on another UK site, where the cost is 71 pounds. Somebody has probably swapped the numbers when entering the price and it should have been 72 pounds.

I think that Amazon has an elaborate system that would warn them when the selling price is lower than the purchasing price. Or maybe they buy these squares in bulk from Starrett for less than 27 GBP per piece.

Anyway, you can buy it now and save some money.

They have been that price since August 2019, so not a mistake.

EDIT: Correction, aside from a brief jump in Aug 2019, they have been £27 since mid 2016.

They have been that price since August 2019, so not a mistake.

EDIT: Correction, aside from a brief jump in Aug 2019, they have been £27 since mid 2016.

Maybe that is the mistake that has not been corrected since 2016. I doubt that those guys that process millions of items know the common market price of Starrett combination square ;) So it does not come strange to them.

It almost looks to good to be true, I wonder if its a genuine Starrett. I almost bought an "Apple" charger a few weeks ago but it turned out to be a fake.

I have bought it and I will receive it within a week. I will not find out if it is a genuine Starrett, but I may find out if it is indeed square. All other Starretts out there have regular prices, and this square is sold directly by amazon, so I don't think that they would sell all but one genuine Starretts.

I bought one, will arrive today by 10pm, bless Amazon. I'll check its credentials. The last Starrett thing I got was marketed by their Brazilian subsidiary and made in China.

I took a punt on one at the price. It certainly won't be US made now but I hope it will be made to the normal starrett standards.

Edit: on the starrett site it does claim to be USA made. That may only be those supplied to the US market though. Who knows.

Last edited:
Let us know if it comes in a nice red box please, or some ordinary cheap packaging :)

I bought one, will arrive today by 10pm, bless Amazon. I'll check its credentials. The last Starrett thing I got was marketed by their Brazilian subsidiary and made in China.

Please let us know if it is a real deal and US made. if it is made in China, please let us know if it is at least square.

Please let us know if it is a real deal and US made. if it is made in China, please let us know if it is at least square.

The Chinese made one is absolutely fine in all honesty. It's my current go-to square.

Something to consider given the price, are all the other sellers using Amazon to buy their stock? If you double the Amazon price and add VAT you get very close to the retail price in most places.

Something to consider given the price, are all the other sellers using Amazon to buy their stock? If you double the Amazon price and add VAT you get very close to the retail price in most places.

I do not think so, because all other types have regular prices on Amazon as well. e.g. 300 mm square of the same type
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Starrett-1...rett+combination+square&qid=1607939041&sr=8-3
The price might be incorrect for a long period of time. I also do not think that all other Starrett squares are made in U.S. and only this one is made in China. But we will know for sure once someone receives his square and let us know.

This Starrett try square is probably made in China
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Starrett-K...rds=starrett+try+square&qid=1607939222&sr=8-3

https://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/11MH-150
But it is either square or it isn't. (well square enough, let's not get into a discussion on whether it is possible to be absolutely square). If it isn't, it will go back. I don't care which country it was made in, I do care more that it isn't supplied in a box made from a non sustainable hardwood or in a factory with questionable working conditions. I am prepared to trust a major brand that they consider the latter more so than a random seller from bang good or Aliexpresss until proven otherwise.

I took a punt as have been looking on eBay. If it’s genuine it’s less than half the price of any other retailer for starrett quality.

Nothing wrong with Chinese made per se; they make stuff exactly to spec/price, whether high or low

Nothing wrong with Chinese made per se; they make stuff exactly to spec/price, whether high or low

I have nothing against the Chinese products as long as they maintain the QA required by the manufacturer and are comissioned by the manufacturer to produce the product. But I am against fake products that try imitate the original and are of low quality and are sold either as genuine products or the name of the product is only slightly changed to confuse the buyer .

Back