• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Now is the time to buy 150 mm metric Starrett Combination Square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one. Not checked for square yet, but very impressed with the heft and finish.

Question: what is the second, more pointed knurled knob for? I feel stupid not knowing...

Question: what is the second, more pointed knurled knob for? I feel stupid not knowing...

No need to be bashful about asking. The knob in the middle of the frame tightens the rule against the frame. The knob at the bottom of the frame is a hardened scribe that pulls out so you can make marks in metal.

Slowly replacing cheap made-in-China bits with nicer not-made-in-China kit, as generic bits start failing, nice replacements are on sale, and I can afford it. Rare enough for all the stars to align as nicely as this time!

I still think it’s dangerous to fall into this “China means poor quality” trap.

Incidentally I have a Bahco one, I rarely use it as it locks up - the only way to persuade the knob to undo is either to use a pliers or give the thing a sharp whack.
I'm using an old no name one, bought in the local, now closed hardware shop.
I've had it many moons and just recently I've had to resort to pliers to loosen the nut.
Is there a cure, or maybe a Starret in my future.

I agree. There is a guy who has a handle or statement or whatever on a cnc forum I go on which says something like "if you didn`t buy it from China the guy you bought it from did" or something to that effect.
They can make anything, to any spec required pretty much, it is more about levels of quality control and the price you are willing to pay.

Ollie

I did say "cheap".

No doubt, one can get great quality stuff from China, but then it's only a small step from great quality stuff from China to great quality stuff from Irish/UK makers (or in this case, US), at least in hand-tools.

It's less of a trap than a generalisation, and generalisations are useful because they're generally true.

I use a Magnetic one bought from and branded up as Travis Perkins the builders merchants, and its very good, its square and surpriseingly doesnt move by accident, the nice thing is not having to fiddle with the clamping screw esp when useing it to measure depths, its very easy to pull off the blade and swop ends and from metric to imp, and you can snap the blade out to use it on its own,,I have also taken to using an American “speed square” which I find very useful.

Having a look at other Starrett squares on Amazon and this seems to be at pretty much eBay prices, imperial though

Starrett C9-12-4R Combination Set, With Cast Iron Heads, Centring, Square And Protractor Heads, Black Wrinkle Finish, Satin Chrome Blade, 12", 4R Grad Starrett C9-12-4R Combination Set, With Cast Iron Heads, Centring, Square And Protractor Heads, Black Wrinkle Finish, Satin Chrome Blade, 12", 4R Grad: Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science
I bought this square from Amazon the other day. Having just received it I noticed the protractor is not accurate at all.
when I set the angle to zero/180 the ruler is few degree off the base. And two zero angles don’t meet the reference lines simultaneously.
I thought to ask for advice here before hitting The return button on Amazon.

Attachments

• CC37A595-719A-4903-9509-47201F36E55C.jpeg
    CC37A595-719A-4903-9509-47201F36E55C.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 16
  • B7F1CF97-4E84-412E-B330-4BD881258EBF.jpeg
    B7F1CF97-4E84-412E-B330-4BD881258EBF.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 16
I've seen Bahco combination squares recommended. I bought at Axminster Precision Square recently as a gift, and it was such rubbish when it came that I sent it straight back. The locking screw would not secure the rule square. :rolleyes:

I use Starrett. Bomb proof. Moore & Wright often come up on eBay and are very good. I think you tend to get what you pay for. Deep graduations help clarity.

I've seen Bahco combination squares recommended. I bought at Axminster Precision Square recently as a gift, and it was such rubbish when it came that I sent it straight back. The locking screw would not secure the rule square. :rolleyes:

I've got the Axminster set, I'm going to test it out tomorrow against the Starrett.

I picked up the cheap 350mm try square mentioned earlier.
It's China made and noticeably a bit rougher finished than my combi square (which is a usa made Starrett) but seems just as square. A quick flick with a small file has eased the edges just fine.

Back