• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Now is the time to buy 150 mm metric Starrett Combination Square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It just arrived - comes in a Starrett brandedbox and plastic insert, made in US, weighs a lot.

Interestingly the quality of the finish is exactly the same as the one from China.

It just arrived - comes in a Starrett brandedbox and plastic insert, made in US, weighs a lot.

Interestingly the quality of the finish is exactly the same as the one from China.

Sorry Bill but, could you clarify that ?
Is the finish good or bad ?
Many thank's,
Daniel

The sides still have machine marks on, I thought this was due to the lower price point and China manufacture and the US ones would be more polished. It wasn't meant in a bad way - I don't think the one from China is shoddy in any way in terms of accuracy etc.

Mine's just arrived. Yup, made in USA.

Incidentally I have a Bahco one, I rarely use it as it locks up - the only way to persuade the knob to undo is either to use a pliers or give the thing a sharp whack.

edit - two minutes with a diamond plate softens the edges. This one is a sound buy as well, though undoubtedly Chinese. I have one.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Starrett-K...rd_wg=j1RfR&psc=1&refRID=07Z3PE3TGXQR1HBY6WQR

Last edited:
Mine arrived.

Sticker says made in USA.
Lighter weight than I was expecting. Nice it’s all metric as that’s what I work in for small stuff. Quick scribing of two lines off a straight edge shows it’s nice and square though.

F6C567EA-78E0-4B3A-9994-2BC6FEFE6D48.jpeg
098B2F0B-74B8-48FD-BC19-A485966F7FAC.jpeg

I also have just received mine. I bought it on the strength of another (larger) starrett that I have and am not disappointed. The price persuaded me to buy it now. It actually looks a very handy size for much of what I do.

I really wish I had bought one but I figured I'd wait to see the general consensus first and now they're all out of stock. Oh well :)

The Amazon stock algorithm has probably suddenly gone nuts, attributed the sudden demand to the status of the Brexit trade talks and there will be thousands now on order!

There were 14 available when I bought mine and at least half of those must have gone to members of this forum.

Has one of these on my Xmas list so hoping someone got me one before they got sold out!

Have has the 300mm for ages and it's very nice.

When in doubt remember it’s easy to send stuff back to Amazon 😉
More importantly, check that it's amazon selling it, not just fulfilling it. The latter is Joe sending a box of product to amazon for them to sell on his behalf.

The former is amazon themselves selling the item and much much less likely to be fake. This is especially important with things like memory cards that can appear to be genuine until you put 4 photos on them and suddenly they are full!

Has one of these on my Xmas list so hoping someone got me one before they got sold out!

More importantly, check that it's amazon selling it, not just fulfilling it. The latter is Joe sending a box of product to amazon for them to sell on his behalf.

The former is amazon themselves selling the item and much much less likely to be fake. This is especially important with things like memory cards that can appear to be genuine until you put 4 photos on them and suddenly they are full!
This Starrett was sold directly by Amazon :)

I checked the square against the other Starrett one I have (the cheap Chinese one) and they’re in absolute agreement. So that’s consistency accounted for.

Less likely but not impossible. I had big trouble with fake memory cards sold directly by Amazon, 2 in a row were fake and they weren't even the same brand each time!
Ended up buying from Argos.

Latest posts

Back