callipers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
Now that I have finally taken the plunge and got myself a decent lathe I am looking for some callipers.
Mrs G is buying them for me along with this book Woodturning: A Foundation Course (With DVD): Amazon.co.uk: Keith Rowley: 9781784940638: Books The good news is that I will get one less pair of socks this year 😜
My question is this, Do I get a set of 3 from the likes of Silverline Silverline 155026 Spring Calipers - Set of 3: Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science or should I look for something better? if that is the case can anyone recommend a decent set to buy.

They're not going to be Mitutoyo levels of quality, but that doesn't really matter for turning dead tree. Just be careful with sharp pointed ends and spinning wood!

I find it useful to have a couple of pairs of each type that you use so you dont have to change them mid job. I only really use them on pens and things that are fairly precise. I can set the callipers to fairly near on the safe side, then pay a bit more attention to getting the exact fit I need using the fitting object itself. I dont do bowls often, so wall thickness isnt my concern.

I would probably buy some vintage good ones from ebay, but the silverline will work. going rate is about a tenner each for used good ones. The silverline wont be as nice to use but they are only a couple of quid a set. probably better than spending £30 on alternatives only to realise that you only use 2 of them. You may also realise that a bigger or smaller pair would be useful, so this isnt a forever purchase, just a starting point. I say go for it!

If you have a cheap digital calliper, you can lock that and use it similarly. I wouldn't do it on a £100 version, but the lidl ones are ok for it.

It really depends on why you are getting calipers i.e. to ensure the correct size of spigots for chuck jaws, getting the right diameter on a piece of work or checking the wall thickness of a bowl/vessel. For the first 2 tasks the Silverline ones in your link will do you and the ones I always recommend for wall thickness are these Thickness Calipers which IMHO are the best for that job.

The main difference I find between the cheap calipers/dividers and the quality ones is that often, the better ones have a split nut so they can be quickly slid to near the size you want and then fine tuned by turning the nut with thread closed. They do save a bit of time and are nicer to use but I guess it depends how much you plan to use them.

Gary I have a couple you can have. They are good old ones, probably Moore and Wright etc. I have them as surplus from joblots I've bought in the past for other tools. I won't EVER use them as I don't turn so no protests please! I'm going to the post office this week anyway so will pop them in the post. Hold off buying anything till they turn up and see if they do you ok.
Your sock / present ratio just jumped by one.
Unless you ask her for some Gun Stock Oil instead.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Birchwoo...=Birchwood+Casey&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1You won't regret it. ;)

Gary I have a couple you can have. They are good old ones, probably Moore and Wright etc. I have them as surplus from joblots I've bought in the past for other tools. I won't EVER use them as I don't turn so no protests please! I'm going to the post office this week anyway so will pop them in the post. Hold off buying anything till they turn up and see if they do you ok.
Your sock / present ratio just jumped by one.
Unless you ask her for some Gun Stock Oil instead.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Birchwoo...=Birchwood+Casey&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1You won't regret it. ;)

I am happy for that Chris but only on the condition we buy the slab of beef when we visit, so as they say "Deal or no deal" :giggle:

Garno
I have a copy of Keith Rowley’s book, and can tell you that it contains lots of great information. Having said that, I think there’s almost too much information. At least I found it so when I started turning. It’s a book i’ve used to dip in and out of. If you are an absolute beginner in woodturning, I don’t think you can go far wrong by getting the late , and much lamented, Mark Baker’s book, ‘Woodturning - A Craftsman’s Guide’. Although quite slim, It covers all the basic information you need, and finishes by guiding you through three basic projects. I think it’s out of print now, but you can get good used copies for a reasonable price.
Good luck and enjoy the craft.
D

Last edited:
Went in the post today Gary, should be with you in a couple of days. Hope they are ok.
Oh BTW!
There's also a 15 kilo barrel of talcum powder wrapped in plastic packets in with the callipers. Strangely it appears to be marked 'Olive Oil'. Just a good deal I found on EBay. Nothing to worry about. Probably best not to open that. Definitely don't sprinkle it between your toes. If you could just look after it for me for a week or two I will get my associate Carlos to come and pick it up soon.

No worries Chris it will be stored under the floorboards in the shed and I shall keep my respirator on as well (health and safety)

Garno
I have a copy of Keith Rowley’s book, and can tell you that it contains lots of great information. Having said that, I think there’s almost too much information. At least I found it so when I started turning. It’s a book i’ve used to dip in and out of. If you are an absolute beginner in woodturning, I don’t think you can go far wrong by getting the late , and much lamented, Mark Baker’s book, ‘Woodturning - A Craftsman’s Guide’. Although quite slim, It covers all the basic information you need, and finishes by guiding you through three basic projects. I think it’s out of print now, but you can get good used copies for a reasonable price.
Good luck and enjoy the craft.
D

Mrs G has ordered me
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1784940631/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1561585084/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1861089228/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1For Christmas, she wont let me see them until then

Went in the post today Gary, should be with you in a couple of days. Hope they are ok.
Oh BTW!
There's also a 15 kilo barrel of talcum powder wrapped in plastic packets in with the callipers. Strangely it appears to be marked 'Olive Oil'. Just a good deal I found on EBay. Nothing to worry about. Probably best not to open that. Definitely don't sprinkle it between your toes. If you could just look after it for me for a week or two I will get my associate Carlos to come and pick it up soon.

callipers arrived today Chris thank you ever so much but with a problem.
The talcum powder never arrived :eek:, you will have to let Carlos know, I will refill the hole I made in my shed that I was going to store it in. I tried asking the postman if he had seen the talcum powder anywhere but I could not get a word in with him. 3 whole hours of non stop yapping by him, I was too scared in the end to ask him in case it was another 3 hour answer o_O

Its fine Gary, I was made aware of a logistical situation early this morning. I'm glad the calipers arrived mate and hope you find them useful.
Carlos has already been made aware of the situation. So has his family. His dog. His neigbours. His favourite teacher from his school days. They are all very much aware.

Latest posts

Back