New workshop build, with a difference!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re having enough sockets in the workshop, how about one of these at just above head height near the bench
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Bren ... -19836.htm

and as for the wall sockets I would definetly recommend metal clad with wiring in conduit, again metal if you can afford it.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electri ... 088/p55722

Also how about running conduit or trunking (easy to alter when you change your mind about the layout)round the shop at just below ceiling level and dropping down to the sockets as and where you need them with 16A blue sockets for machinery

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electri ... 430/p20698

Hello xy,

:oops: Thanks for your kind words. I think that that much sand would bankrupt us :smile:
We will use the same principle again for the boards, but I will fit retaining lugs at the top of the lower chord to hold the sheets in place until we fix them.

Hello Jimmy,
Welcome to our build, thanks for the comments, and I’m glad that you are enjoying it. Luckily, we had a dry, fairly sunny day today. This enabled us to cut and assemble all the parts for another truss and get two more fixed in position....Result.

Hello Kirk,
Six more trusses to go now, but heavy rain forecast for tomorrow, so we will concentrate on batch producing parts in readiness for friday and saturday, which are supposed to be warm..ish and dry.
As to the multi- socket, I’m not a lover of them in a shop situation. “A couple of routers, palm sander”, all at once! I only have one pair of hands :wink: Over the years of wood mangling, I only have out that which I need for the job in hand. This isn’t due to my tidy nature, more to do with working in a very small room for the last thirty years.
So what was it about the difference between our wiring codes and practice that you found unable to comment on.....spill the beans.

Hi McLuma,
Thanks for that. Regarding the overhang, may I refer you to the skeleton drawing on page one. The final design may not have the horizontal soffit bar, just the ‘kickouts’ as our American cousins call them. This would reduce the bulkiness of the finished look, and still allow for a gutter.

Regards to all....Dick.

Hi fh,
Thanks for the links. The Energy cube looks to be a good idea, certainly worth considering.
Unfortunately, I don’t have access to all the pipe strangling gear any more, so it will have to be plastic. But, a) it’s quite tough, and b) I don’t tend to chuck wood about, mostly because I’m not strong enough :shock:
As to your suggestion about running pipe/trunking at high level and blue sockets, that is exactly what I have in mind. Thanks for the ideas though.

Regards...Dick.

Cegidfa":1ls99aet said:
Hello Kirk,
...So what was it about the difference between our wiring codes and practice that you found unable to comment on.....spill the beans.

Regards to all....Dick.

Two words--Ring mains.:)

I certainly get the 50 hz thing, and I think I understand the 240V hot to neutral. I'm still trying to get a feel for size of motors that can run on your 13 amp and 16 amp circuits compared to our 15 amp/120v circuits and 20 amp/240v circuits. There's that kw to hp conversion in there too--not hard, but one more mental step to keep track of.

As far as multiple tools plugged in at one time, I have two hand-held belt sanders and will go back and forth between them--clamp down the piece, sand with 80 grit, then 120 grit, then flip the work over and do the other side, etc. Saves a lot of repositioning and belt changing.

Anyway, it's been warm and dry here--maybe we can send it your way.:)

Kirk

Hi folks,
At last, the roof skeleton is finished. I thought that we were never going to get there.
And just in time as it is due to rain and blow tomorrow.
The pic below was taken before the purlins were fitted, as the light was about to turn contre jour, not ideal for seeing detail.

p1000575i.jpg

So we had to have a topping out ceremony.

p1000576e.jpg

Now for Fun with a small f; order and fit the roof sheeting at 44kg a board. Perhaps we can have a day off tomorrow to recover? We seem to have lost the concept of ‘Le Weekend’, having worked every day since July - weather permitting.

Regards...Dick.

Time for an update, at last. The kickouts have finally been finished and fitted, and being able to peg the tarp further out has really helped with the drying out. Before, the water was being held in all the timber joints, now, with more air flow, they are better able to dry.

The first roof window cross noggings have been fitted, but it was getting a bit dark, not to mention, 0°C. It dawned on my, by now, permafrosted cell that it could be made deeper, so that’s tomorrows first job. I can gain a whole 50mm extra of light.

We were originally going for three roof lights, but it meant cutting one of the the newly fitted trusses to get it central.
So we have elected to fit four units. This has been compounded by the fact that with the tarp over, it gave some impression of how dark it could be, so only we could decide to fit another four the other side :shock: :shock:
Not a bad decision for someone who has never made a window in his life.....And then there’s all the sealing and probable leaks...ho hum.

The 18mm WBP roof ply arrived yesterday, so as soon as the noggings are done we have the dubious joy of hoisting them up. We now have two pheasants that come every day to inspect the workshop, and I was wondering if I could harness them to the sheets to help with the lifting :smile: We all understand horsepower (depending on the size of the horse that is) so how many pheasants would it take to lift between 30 and 40kg? This could be a suitable thesis for an engineering undergraduate; or should we just convert them into dinner? :shock:
Well, that’s it for now, see below the current state of the build. The next pic will probably be of me frost welded to the roof board.

Regards...Dick.

gableendsfinished.jpg

Cegidfa":14874eb5 said:
We were originally going for three roof lights, but it meant cutting one of the the newly fitted trusses to get it central.
So we have elected to fit four units. This has been compounded by the fact that with the tarp over, it gave some impression of how dark it could be, so only we could decide to fit another four the other side :shock: :shock:
Not a bad decision for someone who has never made a window in his life.....And then there’s all the sealing and probable leaks...ho hum.

The 18mm WBP roof ply arrived yesterday, so as soon as the noggings are done we have the dubious joy of hoisting them up. We now have two pheasants that come every day to inspect the workshop, and I was wondering if I could harness them to the sheets to help with the lifting :smile: We all understand horsepower (depending on the size of the horse that is) so how many pheasants would it take to lift between 30 and 40kg? This could be a suitable thesis for an engineering undergraduate; or should we just convert them into dinner? :shock:
Well, that’s it for now, see below the current state of the build. The next pic will probably be of me frost welded to the roof board.

Regards...Dick.

gableendsfinished.jpg

Maybe you could trade the pheasants for some peasants. They're much handier with sheets of plywood.:)

So are you adding just the one extra light, or are you adding four more to the other side too?

I don't think you need to worry about leaks too much. Those happen because workmen get in a hurry and cut corners. You'll be following the directions and not rushing, so they should go in just fine.

Kirk

Hi Mick,
Thanks for the encouragement; unfortunately, cold and quick tend not to co-exist. I can just see me doing star jumps on the top of the ladder (I can’t do them on the ground) :shock:

Hi Kirk,
I am afraid that peasants are in short supply these days, not to mention that they are ‘revolting’ (historically). I was going to make reference to a sudden shortage around 1776 :wink: but Diane suggested that you might take umbrage and leave, and we don’t want that. I felt that you were made of sterner stuff, what is your view? I assume that banter is de rigueur in the US, as it is here.

As to the windows, unless I wimp out, there will be a total of eight windows. It will make for a light filled shop.
Errr, following directions?? I will be designing, making, and fitting the pesky things. Now, if only I had a nice warm workshop...............

Regards...Dick.

Cegidfa":sizhhtm0 said:
Hi Kirk,
I am afraid that peasants are in short supply these days, not to mention that they are ‘revolting’ (historically). I was going to make reference to a sudden shortage around 1776 :wink: but Diane suggested that you might take umbrage and leave, and we don’t want that. I felt that you were made of sterner stuff, what is your view? I assume that banter is de rigueur in the US, as it is here.
Now Dick, surely you realize we've never had any peasants over here? As soon as they stepped off the boat they were all "Voters". Well, except for the slaves, but we got over that part. The family tree is of course packed with peasants, but I don't think you want them--the Russians are surly, the Germans belligerent, the Irish ones are drunk, the Scots are drunk and belligerent, the English really are revolting, and as for the Welsh, well, after they get back from their cattle raid they have their spelling lessons to attend.:)

Cegidfa":sizhhtm0 said:
As to the windows, unless I wimp out, there will be a total of eight windows. It will make for a light filled shop.
Errr, following directions?? I will be designing, making, and fitting the pesky things. Now, if only I had a nice warm workshop...............

Regards...Dick.

Making windows from scratch? Now that is going whole hog. I've never heard of anyone do that. At least anyone not living in a log cabin, anyway. Especially not windows like yours that won't be vertical. Do you have a book or plans or something? When you get to it, I'd like to see details. I think you're going to have to really take care around the lower edges to prevent the water pooling and soaking through.

Kirk

kirkpoore1":2n93yj6g said:
Making windows from scratch? Now that is going whole hog. I've never heard of anyone do that. At least anyone not living in a log cabin, anyway. Especially not windows like yours that won't be vertical. Do you have a book or plans or something? When you get to it, I'd like to see details. I think you're going to have to really take care around the lower edges to prevent the water pooling and soaking through.

Kirk

I made the ones for my 'shop. Being rather particular about what I wanted - the quotes were rather high, so I made my own and the saving more than paid for a Domino. :D

Dibs

Hi Kirk,
Now then, don’t hold back.......
May I refer you to the following, It’s from the ‘60s, and is the humour that Diane and I grew up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vh-wEXvdW8
Just in case you find it hard to decipher, the lyrics are on the lower link.
http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiTHENGLSH.html

They were called Flanders and Swann, both now deceased, but we have all their CDs. One could say that they are our equivalent of your Tom Lehrer.

We Welsh peasants always do things the hard way (ok, we are only proto Welsh, but trying hard. The unkind just remove the ‘hard’).

There are no plans or books, it will be a case of wing it, I have looked ‘very closely’ at some Fakro roof lights (Polish, I think) and thus have some idea of how to proceed.
As it happens, I have no choice in the matter, as the gussets required on a gambrel truss make the openings less than 600mm on centre/center, which all the 'off the shelf' roof lights are made to fit. Getting the geometry right is the only problem that I foresee, but good old Sketchup will come to the rescue. Essentially, it is only a big box on top of a smaller one........all the rest is detail...........now stand back and watch me make a total 'raised male chicken' of it.

Regards...Dick.

I always called these type of roofs a Mansard, a Gambrel is a double pitched roof with gablet at the top and a hip below it.
Merlin.

Cegidfa":27t1nc0l said:
There are no plans or books, it will be a case of wing it, I have looked ‘very closely’ at some Fakro roof lights (Polish, I think) and thus have some idea of how to proceed.
As it happens, I have no choice in the matter, as the gussets required on a gambrel truss make the openings less than 600mm on centre/center, which all the 'off the shelf' roof lights are made to fit. Getting the geometry right is the only problem that I foresee, but good old Sketchup will come to the rescue. Essentially, it is only a big box on top of a smaller one........all the rest is detail...........now stand back and watch me make a total 'raised male chicken' of it.

Regards...Dick.

Do you need all eight to open? I only ask as the less opening ones the quicker it will be, as you had originally only wanted four would you consider four opening and four fixed to save on the time and money?

I really like your build and cannot wait to see the finished article. The workshop builds always hold my attention.

Mick

Hi Merlin,
The Mansard roof was named after François Mansart, the originator of the style. Gambrel is from French and refers to the hind leg or hock of a horse.

Mansard roof
A roof that has two slopes to each side, the lower slope being much steeper. To better accommodate rooms inside the roof. A mansard has the slopes on each side, it could be related to a hip roof in this respect.

Gambrel roof.
The gambrel has two slopes to each long side, the lower slope being much steeper. To better accommodate rooms inside the roof. A gambrel has gable walls on the shorter side.

Gablet roof.

A gablet is a small gable at the top of a hipped roof.
gambrel.jpg

I hope that helps.

Regards...Dick.

Hi Mick,
I hadn’t mentioned it, but I have every intention of having the rear lights fixed. The thought of manufacturing eight openers would be my idea of hell. I suppose that the wise thing to do would be to wait until the roof is boarded (with the front four lights openings), clad the sides and see how much light is present, and then make a decision. But that means that I have to plunge cut the openings up on the roof. Not my idea of fun......decision,decisions.
Logic dictates that one can’t have enough light in a workshop, but the reality is that I will always want some artificial lighting; can someone make my mind up for me :smile:

I’m glad that you are enjoying the build, I get a lot of pleasure from all the interactions with other members, both encouragement and helpful ideas.

Regards...Dick.

PS. I always think of your strap line when teetering on the roof :wink:

Cegidfa":hp9tqxpq said:
PS. I always think of your strap line when teetering on the roof :wink:

I am a very keen motorcyclist riding for pleasure and work so my strap line is intended for that, but, it works for woodworking too. Rushing a job a few years ago I managed to catch my finger on the almost stationary blade of my table saw. Still did enough damage to need stitches but I am now so much more careful and try never to rush.

Mick

Back