New workshop build, with a difference!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Andy,
Glad that you like it. We spent ages agonising over the design, and still wish it could have been taller and therefore more proportionate, but we weren’t prepared to spar with PP.

I bet you don’t feel as tired as I do :wink: And because it was windy we couldn’t get the tarp back on, and now it’s snowing...ho hum.

Hi Kirk,
I couldn’t believe how easy and safe it was; because of the friction, it wasn’t a ‘dead lift.’
As to the window holes, at first I just wasn’t sure which way to go, but having put the boards up so easily, we will probably put them up, mark, and lower to cut in safety. If I were to do it by measurement, it would end up as a dog’s breakfast. I rarely have luck doing things that way...just a lack of ‘eptness I suppose.

Regards....Dick.

In the end we're all going to thoroughly hate you for having such a nice home to do your work in. Please don't tell me you're going to completely insulate it and fit in a quaint wood burner so we can imagine you toasting yourself contentedly next to it, faithful hound at your feet and the smell of freshly cut wood shavings and hot buttered scones in the air. Bah! I'm off to my cold, tiny, SHED. :roll:

Hello Babber, (not sure of the correct spelling)
Ok, so that gives the game away. My daughter in law lives in Frome too, so we go regularly.

May I remind you of the envy exclusion clause on page 1 :wink:

I hate to say it, but yes, it will be well insulated, and not in the usual way. But that is for the future. However, you can rest assured that it won’t have a wood burner, quaint or otherwise :shock: just plain old electric rads........lots of them :wink:

Having just swept the snow off the roof, which melted as we did it, and then person handled a 7m x9m new green tarp over it (in the rain), your missive was just what we needed to give us a boost.

So xy mosian, how do you feel about a giant green turtle?

Cold and snow we can handle, but rain, ](*,) If anyone is tempted to use WISA ply - don’t. Before we found the really good WBP ply for the roof, we were recommended WISA WBP, it’s rubbish. One drop of damp on it was soaked up like a sponge which then froze and burst....not impressed. And to add insult to injury, it was £4 per sheet more expensive. And this on one of the gussets, that which imparts the strength to the system.
The galling thing is that we knew it was going to rain, so we vainly tried to cover the roof, but try handling a large tarp in the wind (that had been absent for the last week) :(
So, until it stops raining, and we get a small amount of 'non grey glow' ( don't mention the s--) to dry things up a bit, the roofing will have to wait. I'm sure I will be found something to do in the meantime, like chopping wood and cutting logs so that we can sit in front of the 'quaint woodburner eating hot buttered scones, sans the 'faithful hound.' :wink:
That's all for now, TTFN.

Regards....Dick.

Hi folks,
Luckily, the rain was for one day only, so today, we clamped the tarp in the middle at both sides and tied a rope across the roof. Then we rolled the tarp up to and just over the middle, so that we could work, but quickly pull it down again, without it turning into a spinnaker. So far it has been successful. The wet boards dried out in the sun and I was able to get them lined up, gapped and fixed by the end of the day.

We had a lovely sunset which we just managed to record in time. So I thought that I would share it with you. It also gives a gratuitous shot of the fixed panels....... :roll:

roofwithaview.jpg

Tomorrow we will cut the finishing thin sheets to complete one top side, and with luck some whole sheets on the back side :shock:

TTFN for now.

Regards....Dick.

PS. Thanks xy, but if you knew how I felt at the end of the day, you might not be quite so envious :wink:

kirkpoore1":298kph6t said:
Dibs-h":298kph6t said:
kirkpoore1":298kph6t said:
Making windows from scratch? Now that is going whole hog....

Kirk

I made the ones for my 'shop. Being rather particular about what I wanted - the quotes were rather high, so I made my own and the saving more than paid for a Domino. :D

Dibs

Maybe I'm just touchy on that subject. My house has had a number of leaks due to poor attention to detail while under construction. Most of these were roof related, but some were due to poor flashing around windows or vents. In my case, going with a commercially built window would be my choice because there would be one less thing to go wrong. I've been looking at various websites, though, and I think the key is the right flashing and right installation. It's certainly worth doing some research, though, not just "winging it".

As for Flanders & Swann, since my grandmother's maiden name was Swann, maybe I come by my attitudes natually.:)

Kirk
(hammer)

Kirk as woodworkers we have to have and make our shops in wood, and making our own windows is part of the look. this does not mean that they need be drafty. i made the windows in my shop weather tight. its cold in Canada.
some times you just can't get the detail from modern windows. like old glass. i thought you guys would like to see a shop in Ottawa.

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0120-1.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

tool613

tool613":2xtcueim said:
[Kirk as woodworkers we have to have and make our shops in wood, and making our own windows is part of the look. this does not mean that they need be drafty. i made the windows in my shop weather tight. its cold in Canada.
some times you just can't get the detail from modern windows. like old glass. i thought you guys would like to see a shop in Ottawa.

tool613

There you go, Jack, with the stealth shop gloat. You shouldn't be hijacking Dick's thread just for vicarious thrills.:)

I realize that you may be hard pressed, particularly on a tight budget, with getting exactly the window look you want. And I'm not saying that home-made windows can't be tight. My concern, however, with them is that most woodworkers would be very hard pressed to match the performance of modern double or triple pane windows with a homebuilt product. Now, you've actually got storm windows over your regular windows, which will give you pretty much the same effect. But it does double the amount of work. It is up to Dick, of course, to decide whether he wants to go that way.

Kirk
who figures that Dick is typing up the next installment right now...

Hello tool613/Jack?
Welcome to the madness, I see that you are a professional, whereas I am just an old hasbeen....has been lord knows what. (The older members here might remember this as a line from a Clinton Ford song - Fanlight Fanny).

That’s an elegant design, and there’s nothing like a ‘drive by gloat,’ feel free.

Hi Kirk,
Got that right. Even we had to admit defeat after the last entry. The temp. wasn’t any lower than -5, but with the higher humidity, it felt far worse; so I went in and ‘sketchupt’ a round window design to get some idea of how to construct it. See below.

roundwindow.jpg

Please note that the seals are not drawn yet. I intend to put them on the inside faces of the stop frames and one in the centre all round the inside of the frame, probably a brush type.

Up on the roof, the upper chord is now fully sheeted, and tomorrow we will do the lower back section. Progress is slow because of the short days, and our unwillingness to start too early - before morning coffee.........give us a break, we’re pensioners after all. I’ve done my fair share of early shifts :wink:
TTFN .......Dick.

kirkpoore1":3c3vnr03 said:
There you go, Jack, with the stealth shop gloat.

Yep that's certainly got to be one of the stealthier gloats I've seen in a while! :lol:

kirkpoore1":3c3vnr03 said:
My concern, however, with them is that most woodworkers would be very hard pressed to match the performance of modern double or triple pane windows with a homebuilt product.

You may be right - but here in the UK most homeowners have the choice of Vinyl (uPVC to us) or timber windows. The timber windows are made to spec (unless you get one from a big shed - but then again that too will have been made somewhere) - but with a little thought and patience a home woodworker can make windows of a comparable performance. With most things - there's loads on the internet, with windows, if you've never made one, there might not be much to guide you.

It took me ages to get to a point where I felt the design and details were at a sufficient level to start and even then a few test cuts\sample pieces. But then again who hasn't done a test piece if they're trying something new?

Dick - coming along very nicely. No - don't ask, I've had a dose of can't be arseditis!

Dibs

Hi Dibs,
If anyone on here deserves a gratis bout of 'can't be arseditis' it's you. You're still my hero for doing it all on your own =D> =D>

Regards....Dick.

Cegidfa":3kqpoh51 said:
Up on the roof, the upper chord is now fully sheeted, and tomorrow we will do the lower back section. Progress is slow because of the short days, and our unwillingness to start too early - before morning coffee.........give us a break, we’re pensioners after all. I’ve done my fair share of early shifts :wink:
TTFN .......Dick.

Dick, I've heard it said that being retired just means a shorter commute.:)

I don't think I'd be doing much construction in subfreezing weather if I had a choice. It was -15C here this morning with -25C wind chill, and on days like this I'm glad I've got a nice warm cubicle to work at.

Kirk

Dibs-h":22um8t7x said:
but with a little thought and patience a home woodworker can make windows of a comparable performance.
Dibs
i would say better than pvc. a highest rated window is only R7 to R11. thats very expensive. the average is R4.5. the placement of widows has more to do with energy lose and gain than R value. when you take in to account repayment of sealed units, what is the point if all your saving are going to replacement cost. now if you want to fill a north wall with glass it pays. but r6 windows are 1.3/4" of batt insulation. not that much of a insulator.

most people are fouled by the % a window is better.i mean having a window %100 better sounds good but it only adds 1" of batt insulation. now look a the cost of high performance widows.

placement of window is key.(fenestration)

Dick great job on the shop . i encourage you to make your own windows,after all what is a shop for. add so sorry for the drive by.

jack

tool613":1dseg8h4 said:
Dibs
i would say better than pvc. a highest rated window is only R7 to R11. thats very expensive. the average is R4.5. the placement of widows has more to do with energy lose and gain than R value. when you take in to account repayment of sealed units, what is the point if all your saving are going to replacement cost. now if you want to fill a north wall with glass it pays. but r6 windows are 1.3/4" of batt insulation. not that much of a insulator.

most people are fouled by the % a window is better.i mean having a window %100 better sounds good but it only adds 1" of batt insulation. now look a the cost of high performance widows.

placement of window is key.(fenestration)

Dick great job on the shop . i encourage you to make your own windows,after all what is a shop for. add so sorry for the drive by.

jack

Jack

It's a trading game - whether it's a shop or a home, folk want natural light and that's costs. Both from a cost of fitting the windows and the heat loss associated with them. Here in the UK - Building Regulations now stipulate the (min) thermal efficiency required. It could be a lot better, but better than nothing.

As for efficiency - I'd say fit the best you can afford. Fuel prices are going nowhere except up, certainly in the UK, and at some point these increases will filter thru to insulations - bit of a vicious cycle. The only part that isn't increasing similarly (here) is one's disposable income!

Dibs

Morning Kirk,
I do like, ‘being retired means a shorter commute.’ Over here, people say, after they have retired, that they don’t know how they found time to go to work. It’s so true :smile:
I am aware that ‘everything in America is bigger and better,’ but I think that you are welcome to -15°C....brrrr. And then in summer, you dissolve into your constituent parts :wink:

Morning Jack,
I have every intention of making the windows, firstly, for the experience, and secondly, the cost would be horrendous. Now, if only I had a nice warm workshop to make them in :smile:
As to the drive by gloat, we would like to build a summer house, and it was going to be another gambrel roof, but your design is tempting.

TTFN.....Dick.

Cegidfa":940u8sws said:
if only I had a nice warm workshop to make them in

dick

you could alway use newfoundland glazing until your window are done.

imagesqtbnANd9GcSupEcN6cv2QUT5PHCxBdOxaDiN5z4XlIlEKjQgLATI6cNai5JoAA.jpg

good to here your making your own windows. if you are looking for details on how to make windows one of the best resources is architectural graphic standard.this book is the bible on how to build. the older addition will have many great detail for windows and weathering.try your library.

jack

Hi Jack,
I’’ll keep a lookout for the book, thanks. Do I take it that Newfies are the butt of jokes about Canukistan? Rather like the poor Irish over here, as in ‘there was an Englishman, Irishman and a Scot.........

My daughter, Helen, has just come back from living in St Johns for a year, and is ‘officially ‘ a Newfoundlander having ‘kissed the cod.’ Only in Newfoundland could they have a town called pointything, so what do they call a d****?

I could use the Newfie glazing, but I still need solid walls and doors as well.....ho hum.

:ho2
kirkpoore1":3tip240u said:
Wow, Jack, I didn't know the Newfies had Missouri River floodplain foundations

they don't Kirk. it so ya don't have to shovel snow to get in the door . you got to like the Missourian for making sure there trailer don't get washed away. kind of like the you know your a red neck if jokes.

Cegidfa":3tip240u said:
Do I take it that Newfies are the butt of jokes about Canukistan?

really a great people and the friendliest i have every meet. a very beautifully place and some of the best trout fishing in the world. a very unselfish people that do happen to be the blunt of most jokes. you might find that book on goggle.

jack

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

However, we have had a visit from a very fussy ‘Building Inspector.’

Checking the threshold.

theinspectorcalls.jpg

Inspecting the studwork.

inspectingthestudwork.jpg

Checking for the DPC.

checkingthedpm.jpg

Ladder Health and Safety.

ladderhs.jpg

We have, however, managed to finish the sheathing on the rear roof, but it got too cold, even for us :shock:

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas, and all the best for the new year. :ho2 :deer :eek:ccasion5:

Regards.....Dick and Diane.

Back