New workshop build, with a difference!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cegidfa":1781xmwn said:
Hi folks,
At last, the roof skeleton is finished. I thought that we were never going to get there.
And just in time as it is due to rain and blow tomorrow.
The pic below was taken before the purlins were fitted, as the light was about to turn contre jour, not ideal for seeing detail.

p1000575i.jpg

So we had to have a topping out ceremony.

p1000576e.jpg

Now for Fun with a small f; order and fit the roof sheeting at 44kg a board. Perhaps we can have a day off tomorrow to recover? We seem to have lost the concept of ‘Le Weekend’, having worked every day since July - weather permitting.

Regards...Dick.

Just a thought, but could you pull the roofing sheets up from the opposite side using a rope over the ridge. If you put two ladders for them to slide up them on to the roof, even if the rope was tied round the sheets once you have a couple of fixings in them you can then untie the rope

Hello FH,
This is interesting. Earlier, Mick Cheese suggested an idea which I already had in mind, and you have done the same. That is exactly what we intend to do; with the friction at the top, and a steep angle, Diane should be able to hold the weight whilst I get ready for the next ‘big push,’ failing that Diane will ascend heavenwards at a fair rate of knots, and I could end up wearing a very fashionable piece of WBP ply.

This has happened to me when giving a friend a hand to lop a rather too tall willow. He cut off more than I could counterbalance, and up I went, about six feet. He nearly fell out of the tree laughing whilst I had to drop and practice the parachute landing roll that I had been taught as a lad in the ATC. But thanks for the suggestion, keep them coming.

Regards...Dick.

I can attest to the fact that you don't want to be wearing a piece of WBP that has slipped off a roof. I was re-roofing a small shed with my accident prone dad many years ago. I pushed the 4x4 piece of ply up onto the roof and he band a nail through to hold it in place. Unfortunately he missed the rafter so the board was just hanging there. As he went to get the next nail the board jumped the rafter and slide down the roof. Being young I managed to jump out the way and avoid decapitation but the board caught me in the back of the leg - wow, it hurt.

Dibs-h":lpo941mu said:
kirkpoore1":lpo941mu said:
Making windows from scratch? Now that is going whole hog....

Kirk

I made the ones for my 'shop. Being rather particular about what I wanted - the quotes were rather high, so I made my own and the saving more than paid for a Domino. :D

Dibs

Maybe I'm just touchy on that subject. My house has had a number of leaks due to poor attention to detail while under construction. Most of these were roof related, but some were due to poor flashing around windows or vents. In my case, going with a commercially built window would be my choice because there would be one less thing to go wrong. I've been looking at various websites, though, and I think the key is the right flashing and right installation. It's certainly worth doing some research, though, not just "winging it".

As for Flanders & Swann, since my grandmother's maiden name was Swann, maybe I come by my attitudes natually.:)

Kirk

Sliding the ply panels up a couple of ladders might be less fraught if a person on each ladder had an 'S' hook. One end under the edge of the ply, the other on a ladder rung.

I'm sorry I've forgotten. If you intend putting storage into the roof void, when finished, would it be worth putting the supports in before the roof. To form a sort of permanent work platform?

By the way I'll be sorry to see the end of that giant blue trutle, but I'll bet you won't :) .

Keep up the great work. That good lady of yours deserves a medal.

xy

Hello xy,

So the idea is that if we experience a ‘sudden downward shift’ the hooks will arrest the progress. Sounds a good idea, thanks for that.
I will be putting four collar beams in, thanks for reminding me...I had actually forgotten. As you say, they would make a good platform base.

Now there’s dedication, we were out today making the four end kickouts that have to fit on the end overhanging trusses, as opposed to on the side, like the other 26. ...........It was -6°C in the morning, and a sultry -3°C this afternoon. The only body parts to suffer were the fingers (in the morning); the afternoon was ok.....We even managed five hours on the solar heating, so that’s another day that we don’t have to use LPG to get hot water. :smile:

So what’s wrong with a giant blue turtle then :wink: You should see my neighbour ‘blend into the countryside’ in his bright orange overalls - he is almost invisible :shock:
Diane doesn’t deserve a medal, after nearly forty years of my particular brand of insanity, nothing less than beatification will do.

Regards...Dick...aka Nanook of the North.

Crikey you are determined to get this lot finished, and why not. Good on you.

The 'S' hooks. Actually I was thinking "hoist the ply up about one rung, hook it on, adjust stance, and repeat". A fairly slow progress up to roof level but always working at a comfortable level with time for a breather. Not that it seems that either you or Diane need one :)

xy

Hi Kirk,
So what did you think to the video of Flanders and Swann, or was it not your style of humour? Humour has moved on a lot since then but I think that they still hold up.

So much for getting the 'expert's in to build your house, we have our fair share of bodgers (and I don't mean chair makers) in this country. We had trouble with our conservatory build, it took them a long time to get it right, but I am a fussy ******. I have vowed that 'tradesmen' will never darken our door again. If we can't do it, it won't get done.

Regards...Dick.

Cegidfa":24enueo6 said:
Hi Kirk,
So what did you think to the video of Flanders and Swann, or was it not your style of humour? Humour has moved on a lot since then but I think that they still hold up.

So much for getting the 'expert's in to build your house, we have our fair share of bodgers (and I don't mean chair makers) in this country. We had trouble with our conservatory build, it took them a long time to get it right, but I am a fussy ******. I have vowed that 'tradesmen' will never darken our door again. If we can't do it, it won't get done.

Regards...Dick.

Dick, I actually watched several of their routines on Youtube. Yes, a little dated, but that's because, I think, they weren't angry or really attacking or making a serious target of anybody. Good stuff.

"Bodgers"--I got your gist, but just had to look it up on Wikipedia. As it happens, I was assembling a chair this weekend, though no turned work on it:
dantesca.jpg

My house problems predated my owning it, and weren't turned up by the pre-sale inspection because they only really show up when it's raining with high wind from certain directions. I'll be getting a new roof in the spring which should put an end to most of the problems.. No, I'm not doing it myself--not a big fan of heights. All part of owning a house, I figure.

Yes, good contractors/tradesmen/repairmen/handymen/whatever can be hard to find. I can see that you'd be gun shy if you've been bit before.

Good luck with your plywood. If at any point it seems dangerous or you think you're out of your depth, you should get help. No point in winding up in the hospital just to save a little money. Note that a drywall lift like Dibs is using on his shop will lift plywood up to your roof, too--you'll just have to slide it onto the roof after it's up there. And you can use it inside to do the ceiling.

Kirk

[/url]

Hi Kirk,
Glad that you enjoyed F&S. I must be from the wrong era, why do people have to be angry or attack for comedy? Do you know of “The Two Ronnies” that is Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett? They used situations and clever use of language for comedic effect in a similar way To F&S.

I did wonder when I used ‘bodge‘ (to do something badly) whether it is used over there?
As some wit said ‘Two countries divided by a common language.’
‘Gun shy’ would not translate over here, but the meaning is obvious.

Nice chair by the way, is your chair painting done by Harald’s daughter, or you?

We woke this morning to water dripping out of the boiler, -8 degrees C outside...oh joy.
The condense pipe had frozen up, so it’s out with the hair drier to melt the plug of ice and normal service is resumed. I must remember to clean the leaves out of the drain, or make a cover. I’ll add it to my ‘tuit list (get round to it). Too many ‘things,’ too little life left. Perhaps I should become a Buddhist, but I would probably re incarnate as a stick insect, knowing my luck.....TTFN.

Regards....Dick.

Cegidfa":1a3cl76o said:
so it’s out with the hair drier to melt the plug of ice and normal service is resumed. .

We have a cast iron bath where the over flow is separate to the drain. Someone left the plug in at the end, having almost drained the bath. No air behind water, so some water sat in the pipes. -5 degrees lately, so frozen solid. Guess which muggins has to go outside, up a ladder with a heatgun?

Dibs.

p.s. Coming along nicely. I hate plywood sheets! Although lift does make it easier.

Cegidfa":214yo0vu said:
Hi Kirk,
...Do you know of “The Two Ronnies” that is Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett? They used situations and clever use of language for comedic effect in a similar way To F&S.

I did wonder when I used ‘bodge‘ (to do something badly) whether it is used over there?
As some wit said ‘Two countries divided by a common language.’
‘Gun shy’ would not translate over here, but the meaning is obvious.

Nice chair by the way, is your chair painting done by Harald’s daughter, or you?

We woke this morning to water dripping out of the boiler, -8 degrees C outside...oh joy.
The condense pipe had frozen up, so it’s out with the hair drier to melt the plug of ice and normal service is resumed. I must remember to clean the leaves out of the drain, or make a cover. I’ll add it to my ‘tuit list (get round to it). Too many ‘things,’ too little life left. Perhaps I should become a Buddhist, but I would probably re incarnate as a stick insect, knowing my luck.....TTFN.

Regards....Dick.

Speaking of language, Dick, when you talk about your condense pipe freezing up I have no idea what you're saying.:) Usually when we get pipe freezes around here that means busted plumbing and water everywhere--but it sounds like you've got an issue with either your water heater or your heater for your radiators.

I've heard of but never seen anything from The Two Ronnies--I do need to do some more browsing on Youtube. Clever use of language is only part of the story, though--nobody was better at language than George Carlin, but he was always making a point too, usually an uncomfortable one.

I did the painting on the chairs--my wife limits herself to making seats on the Dantesca chairs. The painted panels were for the medieval re-creation group I belong to, so they were done with egg tempura painting using dry pigments on gesso. I am not a painter--I can't draw for cr*p. They were taken from real characters in 15th century paintings, sized on my computer, and then traced onto the gesso.

Oh, and since you said you needed one, here you go:
RoundTuit.jpg

Good luck with your pipes, and keep warm!

Kirk

Hi Kirk,
Isn’t the use of language fascinating, some things cross the Atlantic, and others don’t.
I didn’t think that tuit would be understood. Mind you, life has never been the same since watching ‘The Wire’. My son said don’t try to understand it, just go with flow, and he was right, a gripping piece of TV.
Allegedly, American TV is supposed to have a pretty low standard, but we have found that if something is made by HBO then we give it a go. We haven’t been disappointed yet. There have been some excellent series.
I have to say that our TV is pretty barren, hence watching HBO. But it could be worse, we could live in Italy.

The plumbing that made no sense, refers to our central heating boiler. I think you would call it a furnace. But I think that you normally use blown hot air. Over here, all central heating boilers/ hot water heaters now have to be condensing boilers, as they are more efficient. But as the name suggests, they have a condense outlet pipe that goes to a drain, and if this is obscured by leaves, it will freeze and the water backs up into the boiler cavity and creates extra pressure which is then detected by a pressure switch to shut the boiler down. Hence my need of a tuit to cover the drain and then all will be well. And no, it’s not fitted by the ‘expert plumber’ as part of the job....Much gnashing of teeth.

I finished fitting the noggings for the four front windows today, so tomorrow will be cutting the collar beams to size and angle. I’m still not sure whether to do the four rear lights, as that side of the roof is shaded by tall trees. Is it worth the effort? :?

I take it that TTFN is understood, so TTFN.

Regards....Dick.

Dibs,

If it makes you feel any better you are not the only one, I was also up the ladder with a heat gun yesterday. The only difference in my case was it was the sink not the bath. A recurring problem that I haven't overcome in 25 years of living in th same house.

Tony Comber

shipbadger":bcq80sfg said:
Dibs,

If it makes you feel any better you are not the only one, I was also up the ladder with a heat gun yesterday. The only difference in my case was it was the sink not the bath. A recurring problem that I haven't overcome in 25 years of living in th same house.

Tony Comber

I left ours alone - bit of an incentive for the kids to start using the shower as opposed to the bath. I want to take the cast iron bath out and sent it for re-enamelling and a colour change (old ivory to white) as we don't have a matching toilet, but I've sourced matching ones in white. It's Edwardian art deco and it would be nice to have a period bathroom.

Checked it yesterday and the water in the bath had gone and the drain clear!

Dibs

Afternoon Dick

The condense pipe had frozen up, so it’s out with the hair drier to melt the plug of ice and normal service is resumed. I must remember to clean the leaves out of the drain, or make a cover. I’ll add it to my ‘tuit list (get round to it).

Have you thought about lagging it?

Google Armaflex

Nice workshop there :D

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,
I didn’t realise that Armaflex was available in 35mm ID. It is worth considering, but I doubt that it will be available where I live. The only time it is a problem is when I forget to keep the drain clear, and the slower run off over the leaves allows Jack Frost to intervene. Although why a tv detective should want to come to our house is beyond me :smile:

Here we can’t even build 600 on centre, as they all only stock 2440 x 1220.

It will be a nice workshop when it’s finished :wink: I drilled and bolted the collar beams today, having cut them to size yesterday. I thought that working in -3 °C would be a problem, but to my surprise, it’s not bad; just the fingers give out occasionally. I tried thick gloves, but they just get in the way, so I went back to the lighter pair. Once I started fitting the timber connectors and tightening up the 10mm nuts, the circulation soon ratcheted up.

The next job is sheeting the roof...oh joy. :-({|=

Regards...Dick.

Hi folks, Time for another update.

Thursday, can I just say that working in -10°C is less than ideal; but by the afternoon it was a sultry -5. And today was a sweltering -0.5° C; I nearly took something off :shock:

The photo below shows the now fitted collar beams,which I did on my own as Diane had gone on a trip with the local WI mafia group.

collarbeams.jpg

The next photo shows the lifting technique, which was the same as for the trusses. Sliding the panels up the ladders and tipping them over onto the upper chord was surprisingly easy, we weren’t looking forward to it at all.

Beforehand we had cut the bottom edge of the ply to 19.5 degrees so that the lower board would match well.It also meant that we could cut small pieces of ply at the same angle and fit them to the top edge of the lower part of the truss to hold the sheet in position and in the right place, once hefted up there. Unsurprisingly, the roof isn’t that perfect and the panels will require some tweaking to be a perfect fit. However, they will each be gapped by 3mm on both axes to allow for expansion and contraction, as per the Trada/manufacturers recommendations. Hardly anyone does this as far as I can see, but I’ve never been lucky so I follow the guidance.
Trying not to end up with a drawer full of rope that is too short, I left it in a coil as can be seen below. It became a right pain in the proverbial, so we cut a piece to length.....damn the expense - give the pirahna another cat....Why should goldfish have all the bad luck?

liftingpanel.jpg

Below: this is how far we have got today, tomorrow, we will have to adjust the bottoms so that all the tops are in line ready for the small top pieces...So much for using a jig, perhaps a reel would have been better?

firstroofpanels.jpg

Well, thats it for now TTFN.

Regards....Dick.

Looking really lovely!

I hope you have some energy left to make good use of it. I feel tired just watching!

I'm glad your lifting system is working well, Dick.

Are you going to cut the window holes before you put the plywood up, or try to cut them in place?

Kirk

Back