New Compound Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petey83

Established Member
Reaction score
With the other half asking me what i want for Christmas i have been turning my eye towards a new compound mitre saw as an upgrade on my existing metabo k216m.

The metabo has been a great first saw bur it does take a little fettling every few uses to get the accuracy where it needs be. My other reason for wanting an upgrade is with an eye on getting a perm workshop set next summer as am planing on a move to bigger house next year.

budget wise i am looking at around £350ish which put the kapex out. As much as i have become a bit of a festool fan boy it just seems like a lavish expense and maybe their only tool i would say is truly over priced.

The saw that currently has my eye is the Dewalt DWS778 due to it having the ability to be pushed right up against a wall (it will be a small workshop at best :? ) and the xps cross cut light looks to remove the need to think about blade kerf like i have to with the metabos laser.

thanks

I can't comment on the model of saw your looking at but we have the 717xps at work, the shadow system is superb and you can actually see the individual teeth on the blade cast in shadow on the work piece. Makes accurate cutting very easy, wish it was on all mitre saws.

I am very fond of my Bosch GCM 10 SD; the GCM 10 S is in budget and looks decent.

That said, that Dewalt does have that nice rail arrangement.

No skills":2c4ep5ak said:
I can't comment on the model of saw your looking at but we have the 717xps at work, the shadow system is superb and you can actually see the individual teeth on the blade cast in shadow on the work piece. Makes accurate cutting very easy, wish it was on all mitre saws.
e

+1 for the 717XPS

I agree the shadow system is faultless. My only critisim is the dust collection is pretty awful even when connected to the extraction, but think this is probably similar with all but the most expensive saws.

I got me one O them thar Dewalt DWS778 saws a few months back. Mostly for the reason that I had limited bench space and wanted to put it as close to the wall as poss.

I bought it off Amazon for, I think, £359.

It came in a cardboard box with basically no padding at all and the back of the saw burst through the box.

But it was not damaged in any way and has been working flawlessly since.

I have a Kapex and a smaller Dewalt slider (712) - have to say that the Dewalt is built like a tank comparative to the Festool.

That said, dust collection on the Dewalt is non existent to the point that I actually think it is engineered to get as much dust airborne as possible whereas the Kapex is the complete polar opposite.

I have a Bosch GCM 10 S which is very nice but it always tripped the MCB until I fitted a C type MCB.

The saw is about 10 years old though so the newer ones may be less fussy.

in the whirl of 'Black Friday' guff
Mytoolshed have the DWS778 going for £299 inc

cheers guys.

im still torn as the dewalts can back up against the wall which is exactly what i was after but they can't trench cut apparently.....The green and blue monster is starting to look like the only one that ticks all the boxes.... its huts 2 and half times my budget :shock:

trenching isnt great on any mitre saw, i have the kapex, if you are going to buy it then buy it for the accuracy and the dust collection,, you cant put a price on your health

Petey83":2ofybitv said:
cheers guys.

im still torn as the dewalts can back up against the wall which is exactly what i was after but they can't trench cut

The 778 can't but they do have more expensive models that can.

I would have liked that feature, but after a cost benefit analysis I choose the 778

Back