Nature of the game WARNING this post contains graphic images of a hand injury

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can’t begin to imagine how much that must’ve hurt and probably still does…hope the recovery is swift as can be and it doesn’t impact too much on his snooker game/violin playing.

Has anyone sent the guy a personal message to see how he is ?? This really would have been very nasty and with quite some lasting pain and shock with a very high risk of infection both in the bones of the hand and soft tissues surrounding it. Its going to take some time to come back from this along with a lot of physiotherapy to get the rest of the hand working again. I speak from experience, not too my hand but 18 operations on my knees over the last 7 years and it takes time when youre left looking like that. I had a terriblñe infection ( not a hospital one but a super bug) leading to full Sepsis and ended up spending an entire year in hospital over here in Spain with a 3 week visit to another one for intensive care from when a plate in my knee collapsed and allowed an infection in through the open wound.

I do hope "thebigt" is ok from this, it really is a devastating injury to sustain and hopefully once healed apart from the missing parts that there is no no long lasting effects or nerve damage. He's bound to be very techy going back on the tools especially the one that did this!

All the best to our fellow member .

Cheers

You're assuming he did it on a machine that required push sticks, whilst it's entirely possible I dont think any of us should be jumping to assumptions, after all, to assume only makes an ass of u and me.
Nope. Assuming nothing, just asking the question.

Hi all hope your well, 5th week since my mishap at work, thanks for the kind words im soldiering on. Hardest part is not earning owning my own joinery company with no income and bigger overheads is the only thing nerving me at the minute. Whilst I wanted to share the accident I'd had prosumptions of should have could have would have are pea's what's done is done. It was one of my spindle moulders

Hi all hope your well, 5th week since my mishap at work, thanks for the kind words im soldiering on. Hardest part is not earning owning my own joinery company with no income and bigger overheads is the only thing nerving me at the minute. Whilst I wanted to share the accident I'd had prosumptions of should have could have would have are pea's what's done is done. It was one of my spindle moulders
Completely understandable chap. Your own business so you''ve probably got enough things to think about upstairs and lapse in concentration is way easier than someone doing this for a company or a hobby in a shed.

Its one of those things and while it is a belter of an accident, it could have been so much worse as with my own which took out use in my index finger, but due to the machine type it could have snipped off 1/2 my hand.

Definitely glad to hear your on the mend , hope your recovery goes without issues and again just pleased your on the mend ❤️‍🩹

As with most accidents involving machinery it can and does happen in a split second, sometimes you get that feeling that what your doing is not very safe and could result in injury .from there on you either stop and rethink what you’re doing or you continue and face the consequences. My injury several years ago was getting the wrong end of a 9 inch mains angle grinder - only the direction of the running disc saved me from losing half my foot as it kicked out of my ( hand ) and fell to ghe floor . Ended up with a nasty gash to my big toe but I was very lucky . Losing part of a finger and severely injuring another is as bad as it goes but I think it could have been his whole hand or even part of his arm.

May I ask exactly what were you doing that created a situation for the spindle to eat your hand? It looks like a wobble saw might have been to blame?

Hope that the OP is recovering as well as possible. Thanks for being brave and admitting your mistake and showing images of the consequences. It is a reminder that we should all take on board the importance of safety whenever using sharp tools, especially electrically powered ones.

May I ask exactly what were you doing that created a situation for the spindle to eat your hand? It looks like a wobble saw might have been to blame?
What makes you say it's a wobble saw with a left hand injury 😳
As with most accidents involving machinery it can and does happen in a split second, sometimes you get that feeling that what your doing is not very safe and could result in injury .from there on you either stop and rethink what you’re doing or you continue and face the consequences. My injury several years ago was getting the wrong end of a 9 inch mains angle grinder - only the direction of the running disc saved me from losing half my foot as it kicked out of my ( hand ) and fell to ghe floor . Ended up with a nasty gash to my big toe but I was very lucky . Losing part of a finger and severely injuring another is as bad as it goes but I think it could have been his whole hand or even part of his arm.
correct, things can always be worse this could have been my whole hand quiet easily.

Dropping on to cut a groove, pullled left hand in? Cut looks like about the width of a dado,…….other than that WAG!

I met a guy who bought a machine off me that had a similar injury from dropping onto a wobble saw. It snatched as he was entering the wood, he tried to grab the stuff with his hands, and the back of his left hand got chewed. No shaw guard or starting stop were the cause he told me.

I met a guy who bought a machine off me that had a similar injury from dropping onto a wobble saw. It snatched as he was entering the wood, he tried to grab the stuff with his hands, and the back of his left hand got chewed. No shaw guard or starting stop were the cause he told me.
An accident waiting to happen. I reckon you need to train yourself to react fast when things are starting to go wrong. I see it like feeding a dangerous animal - OK at first but if it growls etc it might be about to go for your hand, so just let go and back off!
Or feed wild animals with meat on the end of a stick, not in your hand. Or two sticks for preference.:unsure:

It was one of my spindle moulders
Maybe why the router table is more popular in the home workshop even though a spindle does seem far more versatile.

You do indeed bloody knots and a school boy error of rushing last thing at night. I hold my hands up, nobody to blame but yours truly.

Always a major contributor to safety is time, end of a day is when you are most likely to let your guard down because you are tired and often wanting to get home for your dinner and no mater how safety concious you are normally it all falls apart, also maybe being in the trade using these machines on a regular basis complacency can creep in but lets hope you make a good recovery and that your images send a clear message to everyone about machinery safety and what can go wrong in the blink of an eye.

Having followed the thread from @BarbaraT just before Xmas I didn’t expect to be following another thread just after and with even worse injuries but it we can all learn from this and none of us are immune to injury’s . Ever noticed that when a set of traffic lights are out of action there are no accidents but when they are working they are !!

Back