Magswitch Bandsaw Featherboard DIY Kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeK

Established Member
Reaction score
1. Introduction:

This thread is in response to a request by @clogs for more information on the featherboard in this post.

Luddite Warning!!!

Comments about how useless this featherboard kit is, or how in their day they managed with two willow sticks wedged against the wall, will be removed without warning.

A while back, I wanted to buy four Magswitch MagJig 150 clamps for a project unrelated to woodworking. The price of each MagJig 150 from the European distributor was about €62 (including VAT), so I was looking at over €250 for the four with shipping.

As I browsed through the online catalog, I found this Bandsaw Featherboard Kit for about €88. The Magswitch part number for the kit is 8800946 and contains two MagJig 150 clamps, bearings, and other hardware to make a two-piece featherboard. I don't understand the Magswitch pricing strategy, but two clamps and a bunch of extra hardware was priced much less than the two clamps separately. I bought three of the featherboard kits, two for my other project and one to try out the featherboard. The savings from buying two kits versus four separate clamps paid for most of the third kit.

Here is a video by Andrew Klein, the designer of the featherboard kit, showing how he built one using 19mm plywood. An acquaintance in southern Germany agreed to 3D print the components for me.

Here are some photos of the finished product. One side has six roller bearings and the other side has flexible fingers.

8800946-1a.jpg

Figure 1.1: Fully assembled featherboard showing bearing side

8800946-2a.jpg

Figure 1.2: Fully assembled featherboard showing finger side

8800946-3a.jpg

Figure 1.3: Top section removed for a low profile featherboard and hardware

8800946-4a.jpg

Figure 1.4: Bottom of featherboard showing Magswitch bases and bolt head recesses

8800946-5a.jpg

Figure 1.5: Lower section showing the joining bolts in place for the top section

2. Kit Components

The Magswitch Bandsaw Featherboard Kit consists of the components below, as well as detailed instructions and drawings to make the featherboard from plywood or 3D printing.

8800946-6a.jpg

Figure 2.1: Component layout

8800946-7a.jpg

Figure 2.2: Summary page of the documentation with technical information

8800946-8a.jpg

Figure 2.3: Overall dimensions of assembled featherboard

8800946-9a.jpg

Figure 2.4: Detailed dimensions for bottom half

8800946-10a.jpg

Figure 2.5: Detailed dimensions for top half

8800946-11a.jpg

Figure 2.6: Assembly instructions

8800946-12a.jpg

Figure 2.7: Assembly instructions (continued)

3. Conclusion

Overall, I am very happy with the Magswitch Featherboard Kit...with one exception described below. The clamping force with the two MagJig 150 clamps is strong enough that I can't move the featherboard with normal sawing forces. I can make the featherboard move when clamped, but the force required is unrealistic.

The connection between the top and bottom halves of the fixture could use some improvement. On my 3D printed version, the top half will move if enough force is applied to it, regardless of how tight my beefy fingers tighten the knurled knobs. A simple fix would be to incorporate two sockets in the bottom half and two pins in the upper half, as shown below. This would lock the two halves together and prevent them from twisting.

When I have time, I will drill two 5mm holes in the bottom half to accept two M5 grub screws that will be in the top half. I'll update this post when I make the changes.

8800946-13a.jpg

Figure 3.1: Proposed location of locking pins and sockets

Great post, very detailed and informative! On your last point (fig. 3.1) it would be really easy for the 3d printer file to be modified to accommodate locking pins/sockets. Were the 3d printer files supplied with the kit, or did your friend model the whole thing from scratch?

Great post, very detailed and informative!

Thank you!

On your last point (fig. 3.1) it would be really easy for the 3d printer file to be modified to accommodate locking pins/sockets. Were the 3d printer files supplied with the kit, or did your friend model the whole thing from scratch?

There weren't any digital files available when I bought the kits, so my friend worked from the included drawings. The STL files for the top and bottom are now available on the European site in a ZIP file.

Thanks for such a detailed post. May I be so bold as to suggest rather than 3D printed pins and sockets a Vee groove along the bottom of the top section and a corresponding Vee 'mountain' along the top of the bottom section. That would be really strong.

Thanks for such a detailed post. May I be so bold as to suggest rather than 3D printed pins and sockets a Vee groove along the bottom of the top section and a corresponding Vee 'mountain' along the top of the bottom section. That would be really strong.
Thank you! A V-groove between the bearing pin and edge of the feathers would also work.

Great source of information, thanks.
(Just wish my table wasn't a cast aluminium alloy😫😫😫)

Looks like a really saleable product (entire).

Given all of the other fixtures Magswitch sells, I'm surprised they aren't making this.

I don't think I would have one if it hadn't been for the kit with the two MagJig clamps I wanted. However, now that I have it, I use it for all of my resawing and it hasn't let me down.

Back