Nature of the game WARNING this post contains graphic images of a hand injury

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That end of day / end of shift thing gets so many of us.
I dropped a half ton lathe last week being tired, after a hard 12 hour day, in the dark at 10pm I just didn't pay enough attention.
I've been taught and have taught others that there was an accident just waiting to happen.

Whenever you think to yourself "nearly done, just push on a bit and then I can stop", STOP.
Statistically, so many accidents happen like that.

Changing the subject ( briefly) I was recently installing a imported sink recently and only had instructions via a Chinese website in Chinese- losing the will to live I could only get the main hot and cold to work not the glass washer or connect the various overflows with the cheap plastic bits of tube that came with the sink so feeling the ( im going to smash this Chinese carp and fit a normal sink ) rage and red mist descending I packed up and walked away. Next day went back and it was all so simple I could have kicked myself. Someone told me years ago when the red mist starts to build walk away.. 3 overflows and a dish washer outlet …

Attachments

• IMG_2619.jpeg
    IMG_2619.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2622.jpeg
    IMG_2622.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2621.jpeg
    IMG_2621.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Changing the subject ( briefly) I was recently installing a imported sink recently and only had instructions via a Chinese website in Chinese- losing the will to live I could only get the main hot and cold to work not the glass washer or connect the various overflows with the cheap plastic bits of tube that came with the sink so feeling the ( im going to smash this Chinese carp and fit a normal sink ) rage and red mist descending I packed up and walked away. Next day went back and it was all so simple I could have kicked myself. Someone told me years ago when the red mist starts to build walk away.. 3 overflows and a dish washer outlet …
I had similar with shower unit in our new (old) house. Sliding door kept coming off its trunnions and seemed totally out of alignment. I convinced myself it was a load of badly installed garbage, until I twigged that there were little allen key adjusters just out of sight. Perfect now. I think previous residents had put up with it for years!

Having fitted & plumbed in hundreds of sinks over 40 years, I can understand the Dishwasher waste spigot,....but 3 "overflows"....??... from what...?

<Mod Edit : Graphic Image attached>

The guy lost that arm from Elbow down.
He failed to fit the safety pins to a CO2 gas suppression system, it went off, dumping liquid CO2 on to his arm.

Attachments

• .oops.jpg
    .oops.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Having fitted & plumbed in hundreds of sinks over 40 years, I can understand the Dishwasher waste spigot,....but 3 "overflows"....??... from what...?
Ok 1 is normal o/f 2 is the glass rinse and 3 is I think just an very small 8 “ x 8 “ sink to leave the glasses to drain with the d/w had to create 4 outlets + the actual sink waste . I thinks it designed for an additional filtered water supply as a smaller tap just behind the main tap allows cold water to be drawn . But without any instructions it hard to confirm.
Edit

Attachments

• IMG_2677.png
    IMG_2677.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2678.jpeg
    IMG_2678.jpeg
    894.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2676.png
    IMG_2676.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2674.png
    IMG_2674.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2675.jpeg
    IMG_2675.jpeg
    720.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
View attachment 176142

The guy lost that arm from Elbow down.
He failed to fit the safety pins to a CO2 gas suppression system, it went off, dumping liquid CO2 on to his arm.
No idea what a co2 suppression system is for but that looks horrendous. I’m assuming the pressure and temperature of the c/o 2 did the damage .. or was there machinery involved..

Co2 gas suppression systems are a gas discharge set up to extinguish fires in a confined high risk area.
Approx. 1000Kg of liquid CO2 in gas bottles.
It comes out of the bottles as a liquid, as it reaches the outlets it boils to its gas state.

Hardest part is not earning owning my own joinery company with no income and bigger overheads is the only thing nerving me at the minute
You have my full sympathy, I ran a joinery business for 20 years employing 5 or so people, the overheads were always a stress, I closed before covid and have been doing a bit of site carpentry since, it’s a much simpler life.

I sympathise too, am only a DIY'er but I do hope you make a good recovery and can get back to work soon.

I had a near miss with a spindle molder and a wobble saw, was making some stopped cuts to create a slot in some hard American maple and offered the workpiece to the saw blade a little too aggressively, the teeth dug into the wood and launched it left to right with some force, the square end of the timber punched a neat square sectioned plug in the 6mm ply lining my 'shop .
I guess I was lucky as whilst I am more or less ambidextrous I am otherwise predominantly left handed and I just let go and didn't follow through....
I was though using my other hand to guide the timber onto the blade to commence the stopped cut however the direction of launch was more or less parallel to the fence so my right hand survived uninjured too.
Of course it would have been a different story if I was holding the righthand end of the ~750mm length workpiece I imagine both a severing and crushing force would have made for a messy injury....

Ever noticed that when a set of traffic lights are out of action there are no accidents but when they are working they are !!
A good example of where intervention can make maters worse, with working lights everyone assumes green is go and red is stop so they go into auto mode without being cautious, no lights changes everything and now you are forced into thinking and taking more care because the rules no longer apply.

There was a bike injury pic from years ago where the rider got the brake lever blade embedded in his wrist so the end of it was sticking out his palm.
Its not really a squeamish pic, but for bike riders its one of those WTF :eek:
The thread is pun laden.
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71715
Screenshot (101).png

Last edited:
Co2 gas suppression systems are a gas discharge set up to extinguish fires in a confined high risk area.
Approx. 1000Kg of liquid CO2 in gas bottles.
It comes out of the bottles as a liquid, as it reaches the outlets it boils to its gas state.
Co2 and suppression- makes sense-
Sounds like scary stuff and as dangerous as the fires it’s designed to prevent.

What is even more amazing are those injuries caused by nothing more than utter stupidity and being dumb, anyone see that one where a bloke has part of a 9 inch grinding disk embedded in his head, he had fitted it to his 5 inch angle grinder to cut I believe some old drainage covers.

An accident waiting to happen. I reckon you need to train yourself to react fast when things are starting to go wrong. I see it like feeding a dangerous animal - OK at first but if it growls etc it might be about to go for your hand, so just let go and back off!
Or feed wild animals with meat on the end of a stick, not in your hand. Or two sticks for preference.:unsure:
Answers like this though honestly

See attachments bearing in mind thread warning.
Thank you for posting. I'm only a (very) amateur wood worker, and I know I have taken short cuts I shouldn't. Posts like this may just make me think that one time that matters.

I also found out what a wobble saw is and if not the villain in this incident I now have a strong desire never to own one

Hope your recovery goes as well as it can and doesn't cause to much financial difficulty on the way.

Although I own one, a wobble saw in a spindle is not something I would want to be running. A groover will do the exact same job far safer.

Latest posts

Back