My First Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white_sw

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm very new to this forum and also woodworking as a hobby. This being my first post and have been reading for the past 6 months or so.

After having decided on my first table saw (Woodford TC10RAA) to purchase, I am now looking to purchase my first bandsaw. After setting the money aside for the table saw, I have about £500 left in my budget. The ones I have been looking at so far are :

Axminster SBW3501B
Record BS350
Fox F28-194
Perform CCVBB
SIP 14"

I've read as much as I can find out about these saws and looked at some of them. From this research, I am tending to lean towards either the Fox or Axminster.

Can anyone offer advice on the above models please ?
Are there others in my price range that I should be looking at ?
Does anyone own any these saws and can comment from experiance ?

Many thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam, and welcome.

You've already cracked the most fundamental rule of buying new machinery: talk to people who already have one. In that regard you couldn't have come to a better place!

One important aspect to consider is how you're going to get on if, once you've made your decision and purchased, something goes wrong. Where customer service is concerned Axminster is a hard act to follow, having set the bar rather high in my opinion.

I think you should start by trying to get a handle on what you'll use it for most. Bandsaws are extremely versatile and useful items and it's quite possible you'll be changing blades regularly depending on what function it is to serve next. For this reason alone I (personally) would make a point of choosing one which is easy and quick to set up, particularly with regard to the lower blade guides which on some machines can be an exercise in dexterity bar none.

Overall the best advice I can offer is not to part with the folding unless you can find an example of the machine you decide upon to have a really good look at it in the flesh. When buying unseen it's all too easy to overlook on paper an aspect of the machine that will make it at best annoying, at worst downright infuriating to use.

I'm sure there'll be lots more advice along presently.

Hope I've helped.
Mark

I've had the bs350 for a while now and pleased with it. It's coped with what i've used it for (i am yet to deep rip something to truly test it's worth), but you must take the time to set it up well to get the best from it. this is the same of most machines anyway.
In terms of customer service i am happy with the dealing's i've have had with them. I've only really needed them once after a month or so of using the bsaw i broke the casting which the guides are mounted on. This was due to overtighting things. I rang them up with the part number and was sent a replacement within days.
I was sent something this morning from record power about their 'roadshows' and deals on offer at them. You can pick up the bs350x for £399.99 at one of these shows, which seems a good price considering the normal 'offers'.

For that kind of money, you could do a Jet JWB14 - i'm a huge advocate of this machine and owned one myself, I would definitly buy it again given the chance, it's the higher end trade version of the Axminster 14" floor standing machine - its on the axminster website. It's a superb machine for the money.

hi sam. bb keithley are a good old fashioned company with great service highly rec, and welcome to the forum

I am new to this site and my first question was what bandsaw to buy. Got some excellent help.

I bought the Record 350S in the end with 3 spare blades and a wheel set for £499.

First job was to cut through 2.6m lengths of 200*50 green oak. Went through it like butter!! Excellent. I am sure the other machines recommended are good as well, but I only needed one :)

white_sw":1g198ffe said:
Thanks for the replies so far guys guys. I've just been googling for the Jet mentioned above and came across this site. At that price, sounds a bit too good to be true. Has anyone heard of these guys ?

http://www.dbkeighley.co.uk/masters/jet_jwbs14.htm

There's your link rescued from the spaminator.

:shock: That price is nothing short of amazing considering what Axminster is selling it for http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Jet-JWBS-14-Bandsaw-362288.htm

Even more gobsmacking is the price difference in the 16" model, almost £300 dearer at Axminster! I have to say I don't get how they can do this, since my understanding was that Axminster and Jet(UK) were so closely associated as to be to all extents the same company. :?
Methinks I'll be ringing Keighly on Monday to find out if there are any hidden charges and what the delivery costs are to my neck of the woods, at those prices I may have to give the flexible friend a premature outing before they change their mind.

:)-$ don't tell the mrs)

Mark

I have a Record BS350 I have had it 4 years nearly very please with it and still easy to set up and maintain accurately. Not keen on the SIP 14" saw a couple of friends have one and have had a few minor niggles but I don't like the fence. The others I can't comment on because I haven't seen them.

I've just called D B Keighley and confirmed the prices on their website are correct. Plus only charge £45 for delivery of the Jet JWBS-14.

£485 delivered. Now that to me sounds like a fantastic price for such a machine. Thats over £100 cheaper than Axminster.

Just need to find one near to Bristol to go and have a look at before I part with the cash. Anyone know anywhere close to Bristol where I could see such a machine ?

Should anyone be interested in a Record BS350-X, I have had conformation today that at various Record Shows around the country, there is £100 off their current price. To me this sounds like a bargin I can't refuse. I'm picking one up in a couple of weeks from a show near me for £399 inclusive.

white_sw":3cz855g7 said:
I've just called D B Keighley and confirmed the prices on their website are correct. Plus only charge £45 for delivery of the Jet JWBS-14.

£485 delivered. Now that to me sounds like a fantastic price for such a machine. Thats over £100 cheaper than Axminster.

Just need to find one near to Bristol to go and have a look at before I part with the cash. Anyone know anywhere close to Bristol where I could see such a machine ?

If it is of any interest to you Tewkesbury saw have the bandsaw on display and other Jet machines, you will not be disappointed with the quality :wink:

http://www.tewkesburysaw.co.uk/

Andy

Hi,

I am new to this site and i am just looking for some bandsaw advice. I am looking at buying the Fox F28 194B, does anyone out there either have this machine or knows how it performs? or would anyone recommend a similar priced bandsaw?

Shane

Back