Mottled Ash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks managed to get these two small Ash bowls finished today which have this lovely mottling effect on them,think its some sort of spalting,but whatever it is it does look nice :D
These are only 5-1/2" and 4-1/2" dia both 2-1/2" high finished in sanding sealer for now.

ash bowls ukw.jpg

Attachments

• ash bowls ukw.jpg
    ash bowls ukw.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,177
That does look nice, I would say it is spalting, Seri Robinson says that bracket fungus like Turkey Tail (that's the US name for it) I think the Latin is Coriolus Versicolor, The many zoned polypore. This is the type of fungus responsible for the white areas of spalted timbers.

that's stunning Paul never seen a grain pattern like that before its well turned and nicely finished amazing
Regards
Bill

Very nice looking bowls Paul and the grain pattern is stunning.
Like all of your work, very well turned and finished

=D> Vic =D>

Can confirm that the bowls are up to Pauls usual standard, they are remarkably light in the hand which is even more pronounced than the thickness would indicate.

Away from the spalting the unaffected wood has a marvellous fine figuring that I have never seen in Ash before, almost like strips of Lacewood so am baffled as to which sub species this is.

Thanks Paul for the sample, despite it causing quite a severe histamine reaction within about 20 mins of me handling it. Caused a few minutes careful consideration on the way to the motorway for homeward journey before it was safe for me to proceed.
Definitely one for the dust mask and a careful handling when I've rattled the old brain cells as to what to produce from it.

Thanks Chas :D
Sorry it had a bad affect on you Chas which seemed to be pretty quick as you were sneezing before you left :shock: was it because of the spalting or just the wood itself?

Paul.J":3q7svo2x said:
Sorry it had a bad affect on you Chas which seemed to be pretty quick as you were sneezing before you left :shock: was it because of the spalting or just the wood itself?

Suspect the spalting, but it may be totally unrelated and something transferred from your shop from another source. (Iroko for instance)
Will be fine now I know, just will have to be careful and control my handling and direct contact until it's in a sealed and finished form.

It is beautiful figuring, at a loss at the moment how to get the most out of the unspalted but character rich sapwood area without making dozens of pens.

They're gorgeous! That figuring has a similar effect to clouds in that you can't help looking for something within the patterns.

CHJ":1r1bjjbj said:
Paul.J":1r1bjjbj said:

Suspect the spalting, but it may be totally unrelated and something transferred from your shop from another source. (Iroko for instance)
Will be fine now I know, just will have to be careful and control my handling and direct contact until it's in a sealed and finished form.

It is beautiful figuring, at a loss at the moment how to get the most out of the unspalted but character rich sapwood area without making dozens of pens.
Not Iroko Chas or any other red wood which i know you are sensitive to.

CHJ":g82pm239 said:
Away from the spalting the unaffected wood has a marvellous fine figuring that I have never seen in Ash before, almost like strips of Lacewood so am baffled as to which sub species this is.

Have solved the mystery, too me anyway, have quarter sawn some of my own Ash this morning and sure enough the fleck figuring (nothing to do with spalting) shows up as per Pauls sample.
Had not noticed it before as my Ash stocks have all had tighter growth rings than Pauls, his are double or treble the width of my samples, up to 8-9mm wide, obviously faster growth wood.

Guess who made the mistake of automatically picking up Paul's sample to compare :roll:

Back