• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sold Swiss Pear

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a load of superb quality Swiss Pear that's left over from a couple of commissions. There's at least 6.5 cubic feet here, so plenty for a few significant projects. I've hung on to it in the hope another job in Pear would come along, but I really need to free up some space so I'll be having a bit of a timber clear out in the coming weeks.

I'd say about half this lot is highly figured, but it's all first quality timber without the large bark inclusions and worm cavities that plague so much Swiss Pear. It's a gorgeous timber to work, with ultra fine grain that means it finishes like a dream. This is genuinely musical instrument grade (the recorders we all played at school are normally Swiss Pear) and it's beloved of designer craftsmen for its clean and elegant appearance, stability, and sweet working characteristics.

You get a good sense of it all from these photos. The dimensions of the lettered boards (A to H) are as follows, these dimensions exclude wane and end splits.

A. 60" x 10" x 2"
B 57" x 6.5" x 2"
C 62" x 12" x 2"
D 58" x 13" x 2"
E 44" x 13" x 2"
F 59" x 12" x 2"
G 50" x 12" x 1"
H 67" x 13" x 1"

This totals 5.2 cubic feet. In addition these's about another 1.5 cubic feet or more in part machined boards (everything in the photos that doesn't carry an A to H chalk letter).

Swiss Pear, isn't an easy timber to source, and first quality boards like this are really difficult to find. If you can locate it you'll pay at least £110 per cube for regular Pear, and at least £130 per cube for figured stuff. So the replacement cost for this is at least £775. I'm offering the lot at £550 collected from my workshop in the New Forest (although I'll deliver to an address in Hampshire, Dorset, or Surrey for 30p a mile for the round trip). If you're stuck I'll even re-saw one or two of the 2" boards into 3/4" boards within the price.

This is a fantastic bargain, if you've read my sticky thread on buying hardwoods you'll know I'm reasonably proficient at sourcing timber, and this lot reflects that.

Incidentally, if anyone's interested I might offer packages of highly figured American Cherry or American Black Walnut. Sorry, but I'm not geared up to ship timber so this will again be "collect only", however if you're looking for a couple of cubic feet or more of truly exceptional timber, and can collect from the New Forest/Solent area, then drop me a message.

IMG_6289.jpg

IMG_6294.jpg

IMG_6295.jpg
IMG_6296.jpg
Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah! you are the man with the goods.

I've been looking over the last few years for "Elsberry," without much luck. I'm in need of some thicker stock - 2" would be ideal - to make the pegbox of a Hurdy Gurdy I'm building. I bought the thinner tonewood from Germany a few years back, but .the thicker stock is proving harder to find.

I appreciate that you wish to shift the lot with the minimum of fuss but if you have no takers or a change of heart re posting. I would be interested in purchasing one of the smaller pieces .of 2"

Niall

Thanks for your interest Niall, but I think someone will probably be taking the lot, they're just double checking some details. However, I'll bring your message to their attention, maybe they'd sell you the piece you require?

Cheers,

Custard

Ah! you are the man with the goods.

I've been looking over the last few years for "Elsberry," without much luck. I'm in need of some thicker stock - 2" would be ideal - to make the pegbox of a Hurdy Gurdy I'm building. I bought the thinner tonewood from Germany a few years back, but .the thicker stock is proving harder to find.

I appreciate that you wish to shift the lot with the minimum of fuss but if you have no takers or a change of heart re posting. I would be interested in purchasing one of the smaller pieces .of 2"

Niall
Well, today I met Custard - and a lovelier chap you cannot imagine. To be honest I was a bit star-struck - me a bodger in the presence of a true craftsman.
So:
1. Custard is just lovely
2. Niall, if you would like a piece, get in touch - my main project will have some over. Although you might have to wait a little longer so that I know I don't have to remake any bits! I've messaged you

Thanks again Custard - I will send you pictures

Well, today I met Custard - and a lovelier chap you cannot imagine. To be honest I was a bit star-struck - me a bodger in the presence of a true craftsman.
So:
1. Custard is just lovely
2. Niall, if you would like a piece, get in touch - my main project will have some over. Although you might have to wait a little longer so that I know I don't have to remake any bits! I've messaged you

Thanks again Custard - I will send you pictures
Great news, I've sent a PM, I'm in no rush, so whenever you have sorted out the table will be fine. I can't say exactly when I will be at the stage of needing the wood, as I have plenty of other things to be getting on with that are higher up my 'to do' list, and are more acceptable to the 'management' :giggle:

Back