Mottled Ash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHJ":2m17brx0 said:
CHJ":2m17brx0 said:
Away from the spalting the unaffected wood has a marvellous fine figuring that I have never seen in Ash before, almost like strips of Lacewood so am baffled as to which sub species this is.

Have solved the mystery, too me anyway, have quarter sawn some of my own Ash this morning and sure enough the fleck figuring (nothing to do with spalting) shows up as per Pauls sample.
Had not noticed it before as my Ash stocks have all had tighter growth rings than Pauls, his are double or treble the width of my samples, up to 8-9mm wide, obviously faster growth wood.

Guess who made the mistake of automatically picking up Paul's sample to compare :roll:
Chas- I think it is some form of spalt as i have it patches on another bowl i had and is softer??

Not referring to the white/pale spalting Paul but the fine figuring in the unaffected wood (similar to flecking in beech)

I'll try and get an image if I can focus close enough.

Argh gotcha now,yes i looked at that after you left Chas and as you said looks like Lacewood with the swirly parts and Beech with the straight flecks. :D
Did it have the same adverse affect with you?

Paul.J":3e5poq7s said:
Did it have the same adverse affect with you?
Only to the level you saw Paul, immediately washed hands and face, then out in fresh air, will seal it asap while in stock.

No Paul, spalted wood can hit me during turning or shortly after sanding, rarely so quickly, but old thatched properties or disturbed household dust during building work can be almost as rapid.

I was turning some small items using Holly the other day without a mask/resporater on and it started to affect me so soon put the dustmaster back on.

Back