Mitre saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorset_stupot

Reaction score
Hello

Apologies if this has been asked before, I did look back over few pages of previous threads but couldn’t see anything.

I need to upgrade my mitre saw, based on my criteria I’ve narrowed it down to two both of similar price. (Have a few others as possibles, but not sure I can warrant the hike in price)

I install fitted furniture, mainly bedrooms, but also home offices and the occasional kitchen. The main criteria I require is a mitre saw that has a double bevel, can cut at least 90mm deep on the 0°, has decent build quality.

I’ve narrowed it down to:

Makita LS1018L (My concern with this choice, lots of reviews saying poor build, issues with blade not being parallel to fence and not very accurate . Lots of positive reviews also tho)

Bosch 350-254 (This ticks all the boxes, has really good dust extraction, but is heavy. I predominately have to lug this up stairs when I need to mitre infills and mouldings etc.. 4kg heavier than the makita. On paper doesn’t seem much but when you lugging it about day after day might start to regret the purchase)

Has anyone had experience of either? Would like to know whether the build of the makita is as bad as some of the reviews. Does anyone have the Bosch? Is it as heavy as I’m thinking?

I could always scrap both choices and look at others, but most that fit into my criteria jump out of the £350-£450 price bracket.

Any thoughts greatly received.
Stu

I’ve had the Makita for about three years and it’s bob on. Took about an hour I think to set up properly (adjust the fence, pointer, etc.) but since then it has been very good. I think some of the negative reviews are down to people not doing this step correctly which is baffling really. The only thing I don’t like is the laser but then again I think they are a poxy waste of time on all mitre saws :)

Hi, I was looking for a mitre saw a few years ago and weighing up all the pros and cons I decided Bosch too expensive (for the saw I wanted), DeWalt, just too expensive, Makita, poor quality reviews, so ended up with a Metabo as this seemed to offer the best value for money. (I am only a "casual" user). So far i have been really pleased. My model does not have a double mitre but for my usage I am happy to compromise and just turn the wood over. Just thought I would mention this make as an option if it was not on your radar...

I'v had a Makita LS1013 for about 10 years I think, took a good couple of hours to set it up if I remember and it has not needed any fettling since, cuts perfectly, I would never sell it or swap it for even a Festool, I improved the dust extraction on it with a simple shroud replacement and it takes nearly all the dust away.

Mitre saw shroud.jpg

Attachments

• Mitre saw shroud.jpg
    Mitre saw shroud.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 879
That looks like a bit of DPC - very ingenious! I may nick your idea and do something similar myself :)

That's exactly what it is, the base is hot glued onto the side's, take out the existing and use the fitting holes as a patten, still works after cutting 100's of M.

=D>

By the way another positive for Makita saws is that the blades are normally much better than the standard ones that come with most machines.

Dorset_stupot":6zawclh3 said:
Makita LS1018L (My concern with this choice, lots of reviews saying poor build, issues with blade not being parallel to fence and not very accurate . Lots of positive reviews also tho)

I have the Makita LS1018L. The blade brake failed (intermittently) after a few months. Been back to Makita service centre Milton Keynes twice now and it's still not working right. I had a LS1040 before this with the same problem.

Cuts are accurate and build quality is good. In use daily and happy with it but the intermittent brake problem drives you round the bent. For 400 + you'd think you get something decent.

I'm just in the same quandary at present, I looked at the Makita at a local tool shop and thought the ergonomics with the handle were a little awkward. The tool shop guy reckoned the only mitre saws worth buying are the Dewalts (DW717XPS) and the Kapex (!) (both much more expensive) - these being the only ones were returns are very rare.

Unfortunately I was unable to see the Bosch and can;t find a tool shop locally with any on display, so interested if anyone has one on here as it looks a nice bit of kit for the money and £100 less than the Dewalt.

Cheers all, I’m still undecided.

grafter":2a6wiaa7 said:
The tool shop guy reckoned the only mitre saws worth buying are the Dewalts (DW717XPS) and the Kapex (!) (both much more expensive) .

Interesting as the majority of my tools are Dewalt and have been looking at the DW717xps. But about 150 more than the Makita. One of the reasons I’m reluctant to go with the Makita is bought a Makita corded jigsaw earlier in the year and lasted about 6 weeks. My Dewalt tools just keep going with lots of hard use.

My only sticking point with the Bosch is the size (from what I can tell from pictures and videos) and weight. Am I going to get ****** off lugging it up and down stairs into customers bedrooms (where the vast majority of my work is)? The reviews for it are pretty much universally positive.

I’m currently using an Cheapy Evolution chopsaw from screwfix, with a finer tooth blade and just about manage with it so any new mitre saw, Makita, Bosch or Dewalt will be an massive upgrade.

Shame there isn’t many (well none in my area) local independent tools stores any more to go and have a look and feel, to pick them up and look at the quality etc... buying a bit blind these days online.

I’d love to go down the Kapex route but my family are looking forward to turkey with all the trimmings for Xmas and some nice presents haha

Be really interested to hear from anyone with the Bosch..

Thanks for feedback though :)

The dewalt (23kg) and the bosch (24.2kg) are about the same weight,

Just a couple of further thoughts -
I'm not sure how the commission works in this particular tool shop and whether there is a particular drive on specific brands but Makita had a big display (same size as Festool and Dewalt) and he was amendment they were a poorer purchase from his experience of returns.

The Makita's I looked at were at the low to mid range ones - the clever one on the rail (Festool style) may be much better but I didn't see it. I did take a look at the Bosch GCM 12 GDL 305mm Axial-Glide one (£749 - over budget!), if the build quality is as good on the 350-254 I would be very happy, slick and looked really good.

There is a new updated Kapex coming out soon so there might be some good deals coming up on the current model in the near future.

Doug

Dorset_stupot":1pf8a9w9 said:
Cheers all, I’m still undecided.

My only sticking point with the Bosch is the size (from what I can tell from pictures and videos) and weight. Am I going to get ****** off lugging it up and down stairs into customers bedrooms (where the vast majority of my work is)? The reviews for it are pretty much universally positive.
Be really interested to hear from anyone with the Bosch..

Thanks for feedback though :)

I have what I think is the previous version, the GCM 10SD and very happy with it. Very accurate and well built and yes it's heavy but, not too heavy to hump around - and I'm in my 70s.

I don't have either but I do have a 28kg Bosch 300mm saw and although it is a great saw I hate with a passion lugging it about a site and if I ever changed with definitely go with something smaller and lighter

I have the Bosch gravity stand, makes it easy to move it around when its folded up and easy to unfold, due to the clever design.

Gravity stand.jpg

Attachments

• Gravity stand.jpg
    Gravity stand.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 472
Back