Track and stops for mitre saw station

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallis

Reaction score
I'm due to build a mitre saw station for my Kapex - with around 2m to the left, 1m to the right of the saw. I'd like to incorporate aluminium track along the top of an MDF fence - something that has an incorporated tape measure and track grooves for sliding stop blocks of some form.

Has anyone had success with any of the cheap companies online - or is the best option to pay the cash and go with Kreg, UjK etc?

Any recommendations and links appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Depends how fancy and or strong you want it to be.
I've been getting along just fine for years with a 3.6m length of 50mm angle iron, a self adhesive tape, a 100mm by 50mm right angle stop block and a pair of vise grips.
Very strong and accurate.
Not so fancy.

Last edited:
I made one around 15 years ago using KREG as it was pretty much the only thing available at the time, I brought it from Axminster way before the started their UKJ range made from plywood that by now must have had 10 coats of poly sealer
Its still going strong and is on its 4th mitre saw its has 4m on left and 2m on the right and is portable its used to get taken to site when I built decking with the saw being mounted on a very old Axminster mitre saw stand
The KREG stops have a magnified adjustable sight line and once assembled I can fettle it to around 1 in a few minutes they also used to do a flip up stop so you could set various lengths. I have replaced the tapes several time several of the very common lengths I needed were marked on the track with a engraved line.
When I built a workshop mitre station I didn't want a back fence so I could retain the use of the long benches 3m left 1.5m right I purchase some UKJ T track and routed it into the bench, just behind the track i routed a trench for the stick on tape on to of the tape is some 2mm clear acrylic which is flush with the bench to I made my own stops with adjustable sight line runs along the T track secured by a T bolt and an Axminster over centre clamp.
If I need to use the benches I just slide the stops out. I have drilled a few dog holes on the bench and just push in so UKJ dogs if I feel I need a back fence, again these are removed to use the bench

Hope this helps
D

Thanks for these - good ideas on both ends of the spectrum. I do like Darren's idea of a removable back fence so being able to use the full depth of the worktop area for other purposes... Flip Stop rails look good, but probably more expensive that the UKJ Track & Stop stuff - i need to work out the cost for the total length.

I'm due to build a mitre saw station for my Kapex - with around 2m to the left, 1m to the right of the saw. I'd like to incorporate aluminium track along the top of an MDF fence - something that has an incorporated tape measure and track grooves for sliding stop blocks of some form.

Has anyone had success with any of the cheap companies online - or is the best option to pay the cash and go with Kreg, UjK etc?

I have a 1m Kreg track that I am selling.
I bought it to do what you have in mind, but don't actually have the spade for a chop saw anymore, so never got around to it.
DM if interested.

Have you had a look at Dennis from Hooked on Wood? He's got some great workshop ideas including a digital mitre station stop block thingy for very little money.

https://hookedonwood.online/Miter-Saw-Station/

jeez... that Hooked On Wood site..... that is some fancy workshop gear.. I dread to think how much Valcromat black MDF is a sheet these days. Thanks for sharing - inspirational stuff and good practical ideas.

Latest posts

Back