Middle of Lidl starts today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish lidl's non food stuff was available for longer, and was restocked, especially at the moment, the idea of a thursday scrum for the last pack of drill bits seems a little bit 'non essential'

343A9597-3E45-4210-A361-089678DA8094.jpeg
92B6CF4D-E318-4159-A816-3C1B268AAA7C.jpeg
01721BC8-8CBE-4C0F-A492-1BBB6C976515.jpeg
92B6CF4D-E318-4159-A816-3C1B268AAA7C.jpeg
01721BC8-8CBE-4C0F-A492-1BBB6C976515.jpeg

There was no bandsaw in the middle aisle here in Ireland when those tools were in!!! Can't wait for the bandsaw, I have a project set aside which is crying out for bandsaw work.

There was no bandsaw in the middle aisle here in Ireland when those tools were in!!! Can't wait for the bandsaw, I have a project set aside which is crying out for bandsaw work.
I'm the same ,waiting for a bandsaw, but with the restrictions I think and big stuff is not aloud being non-essential.

I bought the rotary tool with accessories, belt sander, soldering iron and a few other little bits. The Lidl I went to in Coventry had several bandsaws, they are tiny ones, but at £79.99 do not have high expectations.

No idea what the fuss is about all this Lidl stuff. Variable quality, prices no longer as smart as they used to be. Stuff like the drills bits often a total waste of time. Really unsure about the obsession.

No idea what the fuss is about all this Lidl stuff. Variable quality, prices no longer as smart as they used to be. Stuff like the drills bits often a total waste of time. Really unsure about the obsession.
Perhaps they’re trying to claw back some of their report £25,000,000 lose in the uk last year

Personally, I don't suffer from an obsession about these tools. And the quality CAN be variable.

But in general both Parkside and Aldi tools are good value for money IMO - I now own several tools which would have cost me at least 50% more - often double-ish - and there is always the no quibble 3 year money back guarantee for the odd duffer you can get. Good buy e.g. my Parkside temperature-controlled soldering station.

I wouldn't say good for tradesmen (though I do often see blokes in overalls looking like tradesmen buying tools there) so overall I'm glad to see the advent of these tools here.

So have you bought any tools there JoeS?

P.S, In general though, I agree if you mean "just" buying accessories like drill bits, though one of my first Workzone buys (a set of HSS Metric taps and dies) is still going strong, AND they get used quite a bit.

I like the look of the drill case, is that a slide out drawer underneath the main compartment?

I agree, a few stand out tools (like the fabled plasma cutter!) but mostly not amazing value, getting too expensive to justify the gamble

Perhaps they’re trying to claw back some of their report £25,000,000 lose in the uk last year
hadn't heard about a big loss from lidl, I guess a significant amount of people were turning to deliveries from the other supermarkets. I actually find it somewhat surreal how many companies keep on going year after year whilst reporting million pound losses

...there is always the no quibble 3 year money back guarantee for the odd duffer you can get....

I wouldn't say good for tradesmen (though I do often see blokes in overalls looking like tradesmen buying tools there) so overall I'm glad to see the advent of these tools here.

You definately do get tradesmen that use them reguarly, which always strikes me as a bit of a head scratcher, after all if I get out a parkside drill for a bit of DIY and it fails, I return it, I'm a bit inconvenienced but no more. If a tradesman is using it, and it fails, your income is effected, and your reputation dented

My local lidi was out of the bandsaws, so went to the next closest and they had two, speaking to staff they said they had three bandsaws delivered. Used it on a project and worked well on the rounding off corners on 18mm ply

hadn't heard about a big loss from lidl, I guess a significant amount of people were turning to deliveries from the other supermarkets. I actually find it somewhat surreal how many companies keep on going year after year whilst reporting million pound losses
it was mainly to do with their big expansion in the uk they were in profit the previous year, but still they will want to get that money back one way or another & price increases are the main option

The bandsaw looks like a rebadged Sheppach hs20, Same one as Aldi had in. Suffers from not having a miter slot on the pressed steel table. But it works, and is cheap enough

The bandsaw looks like a rebadged Sheppach hs20, Same one as Aldi had in. Suffers from not having a miter slot on the pressed steel table. But it works, and is cheap enough
I find there is a lot of similarities between the product set both sell, and I would suspect they are rebadged from another suppiler. However I do find you have to look at the cost as there look the same but are not priced the same.

A joiner I know raves about the Lidl stuff, I saw him yesterday morning, he was showing off the sander and grinder he had just bought. He already owned the sander and grinder but was buying a second as he says they are so good, think he owns at least one of every tool they make.

My only purchase from them was a pack of forstner bits about a year ago, absolute rubbish.

The Lidl I went to in Coventry had several bandsaws, they are tiny ones, but at £79.99 do not have high expectations.

I have low expectations!

It's all about the cost vs. benefit!

For example, there's good evidence that the recent Performance impact driver and combo drill are rebadged Milwaukee devices - or at least made in the same contract-factory in China. A Milwaukee impact driver with similar specs, 2 batteries and a charger, is currently €280 at Screwfix. I think I paid €80 for all this at Lidl.

Now, do I expected Milwaukee-level quality at €80? No. Do I rely on my tools to make a living? No. Therefore the risk of buying Lidl tools rather than Milwaukee tools (which is cost of failure x likelhood of failure) is acceptable to me, especially as my current Lidl power tools have never let me down despite heavy use over the last 2 years especially.

Add to that my new cordless jigsaw, to replace an ancient and dodgy B&D one I inherited, and a cordless Mitre saw to augment the great big heavy Lidl one I have, all running off the same batteries. I have re-equipped my main power tools at very reasonable prices for very reasonable quality and a 3-year guarantee.

I want the bandsaw because I have work for a bandsaw, but I don't want to buy a 'proper' one as it will most sit in a corner. There's the cost-benefit ratio again.

That said, my go-to bits for the impact-driver and drill are currently an Erbenaur set I picked up on sale, and shortly to be replaced by a Bosch set. I find the Lidl bits are a bit too soft for my liking.

Last edited:
Back