Parkside flat bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throbscottle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoping this is useful to somebody.
Bought a set of flat bits from Lidl last year, got round to to using one today.

Gave it quite a hammering counter-boring bolt holes in soggy sleepers, 16x 25mm holes 33mm(ish) deep.

So, the tips of the spurs are gone, the edges weren't great and are now worse. I think it started getting noticeably worn during the 3rd set of 4 holes. It did go through a couple of knots though.

However, it did the job and I can always sharpen it.

I have other cheap flat bits that are better. These ones do give a nice level bottom though.

Hmm, Lidl & ALDI drill bits of any variety tend to be "single use" . . . .

BUT if you're drilling sleepers an auger bit would probably be more effective as it clears as it drills

Hmm, Lidl & ALDI drill bits of any variety tend to be "single use" . . . .

BUT if you're drilling sleepers an auger bit would probably be more effective as it clears as it drills
for rough work like that I found irwin speedbore bits (tri auger I think) in an impact driver to be bang on, plus always a good idea to move the bit in and out reguarly to clear swarf, the same would be true whatever bit you are using

We bore impregnated, ancient oak and greenheart sleepers at our heritage railway. . Nothing, but nothing, lasts long under such punishment. Remarkably, the older 'brace' bits do an effective, if slow (and energetic!) job. Especially if their spurs have had a tiny touch up with a file and are shiny sharp.

The hex-shafted modern equivelants are not bad, as mentioned above, but an impact driver? The bloomin' thing would be glowing red hot! Normal cordless, low speed, back out often, blow out the hole, or better, vacuum it out.

Flat bits are probably the worst bits ever invented.
Used to feel similar until I got a set of the De Walt Extreme bits, really do work nicely, cut cleanly and with a nice flat bottom. When I got those I stopped thinking about it. Problem solved and end of consideration.

Use them all the time for thinning the rear of ply panels such that they're locally thin enough to fit panel mount switches, connectors and so on.

We bore impregnated, ancient oak and greenheart sleepers at our heritage railway. . Nothing, but nothing, lasts long under such punishment. Remarkably, the older 'brace' bits do an effective, if slow (and energetic!) job. Especially if their spurs have had a tiny touch up with a file and are shiny sharp.

The hex-shafted modern equivelants are not bad, as mentioned above, but an impact driver? The bloomin' thing would be glowing red hot! Normal cordless, low speed, back out often, blow out the hole, or better, vacuum it out.

I was dubious about using 'tri tipped' auger bits with an impact driver when I first tried them a few years ago but it is now my default method - try it. Don't forget, impact drivers are not spinning that quickly and contact with the cutting edge is intermittent. Every day is a school day.

I bought an aldi spade bit set, almost 20 years ago, they sat in my garage unused until about a month back. Now they've proved to be really good. I've gone through 100 year old 7x2 joists, 20mm holes, about 15 times and it's still sharp and capable for more use.
I also had a random cheap set that i picked up from a market, and those bits each lastedano more than 2 holes before bending out of shape or worse, shattering. I think it's just a luck thing with cheaper sets.

Back