Auger bit - is it any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluegillUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Evenin' all. Have been looking for a decent size bit for the brace I'm borrowing to bore some holes for legs on a stool I am making. I found this at a car boot last week for the grand total of 50p as it was the perfect size. However, having got it home and done a little reading, I don't think it's going to cut it (ha!). It lacks spurs, so it's just the flat cutting edges hitting the wood and although they're moving the material, it's tearing lots out and it's very difficult to penetrate through the stock (7/8"ish)

Any idea if it's just a non-suitable bit or if I'm just doing something wrong? Have attached pics of the bit which I filed after watching a few vids.

As usual, all help appreciated!

Nick

IMG_3961.JPG
IMG_3964.JPG
IMG_3962.JPG
IMG_3963.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_3961.JPG
    IMG_3961.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 1,603
  • IMG_3964.JPG
    IMG_3964.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,603
  • IMG_3962.JPG
    IMG_3962.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,603
  • IMG_3963.JPG
    IMG_3963.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,603
just buy a new one, they aren't even expensive ;) 3-4pounds for that size from a decent brand.

It's a Scotch or square nosed auger. Used for rough work, I think. I'll try to look it up later.

Even Paul Sellers doesn't know appear to know about them.

He thought the spurs had either been broken or filed off!!

Above the spurs are broken off or filed away as you can see.

Edit; looking in old catalogues, Buck and Hickman list them in 1935, Tyzack and Melhuish don't, and the 1897 Strelinger Catalog (USA) only has scotch patten in large, hand operated, T-augers.

So - certainly a minority pattern.

BugBear

Thanks for the info chaps, most helpful and as I thought, worth a pop for 50p!

Bod- the size is 1", measured this morning :)

MrDavidRoberts":36yp4jbg said:
just buy a new one, they aren't even expensive ;) 3-4pounds for that size from a decent brand.

Hi David,

I was sent a link not too long ago but I couldn't find any suitable for an old brace at 1" diameter. Any pointers?

Just file the middle of each side down leaving a lump on the outer edges, file the lumps diagonally on the inside only to form a sharp edge. As long as the worm is OK the rest can be made to work.

bugbear":g1vi46u0 said:
It's a Scotch or square nosed auger. Used for rough work, I think. I'll try to look it up later

Edit; looking in old catalogues, Buck and Hickman list them in 1935, Tyzack and Melhuish don't, and the 1897 Strelinger Catalog (USA) only has scotch patten in large, hand operated, T-augers.

So - certainly a minority pattern.

BugBear

Agreed!

R.A.Salaman in the 'Dictionary of Woodworking Tools' lists it as Scotch pattern, used for hardwoods and rough constructional work. (Note - I think there's also a type called 'Scotch Eyed', which refers to the transverse tube-like top fitting through which the operator can pass a thick dowel to turn the auger. Easy to confuse the two, though I suppose you could have a Scotch Eyed Scotch Auger.)

Salaman also writes, "The first Twist Auger of modern type known to us is illustrated in William Bailey's 'The Advancement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce' (London, 1772) and is described as 'Mr Phineas Cooke's New constructed Spiral Auger. It has a screw lead. A Twist Auger of the Scotch pattern appears in Smith's 'Key to the Various Manufactories of Sheffield' (1816). William Bailey also writes that these tools 'require no picking with a gouge' to start them' and 'they do not want to be drawn out of the wood to discharge the chip which is also the occasion of much labour and loss of time in boring with a common auger'."

So there you go - the twist auger has been around since at least 1772 - much earlier than I would have guessed! One thought is that since they need more torque to turn them than centre bits and shell bits, they didn't catch on in the age of the wooden brace, but only really became popular once the metal brace became more widely available. That's a bit of speculation, though.

Thanks guys- for the info and for the tip on how to file. Going to try that today!

BluegillUK":23o8kpra said:

I'll have a look, see if I've a spare.
No promises.

Bod

Bod":3dmmbqgd said:
BluegillUK":3dmmbqgd said:

No promises.

Bod

Very kind of you for looking Bod- let me know if so and how much and we'll sort it out :)

BluegillUK":1gg52x2t said:
Bod":1gg52x2t said:
BluegillUK":1gg52x2t said:

No promises.

Bod

Very kind of you for looking Bod- let me know if so and how much and we'll sort it out :)

PM me your address, I've got a working spare.

Bod

Got lucky at a market – found a ten inch Matheson 1” auger, paid about GBP 2.50. Lovely bit of steel, cleaned up well – the snail in really great nick; but no spurs. Someone had filed them off, (looked similar to BG's) - probably after one was broken. You only need 1/16th of spur to scribe; used a square file, flat, first to remove the ‘bulk’ then a fine triangular (saw) file to ‘shape’ the spiral, that ‘profiled the spurs nicely - you need to be careful though. An auger file is best (if you can find one). Anyway – took about 40 minutes to ‘draw’ the spurs, shape to the twist and put a sharp edge on the cutters; should have worked. Fail: stopped about 3mm into the hole; why? Well, I’d left a ‘square lip’ protruding at the end of the snail thread, maybe 1.5 mm, if that. Dressed that out very carefully and bingo; lovely clean holes. I like the ‘control’ you get with a bit ‘n brace, most satisfactory. No pix I’m afraid, sorry - must learn how to do that one day.

Back