Newcomer from Ireland

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, another new member from Ireland.
Former architect turned software manager. Love woodworking and solving problems. Living in the middle of Ireland and working from home with family so the shed is my switch off space.
Only found this forum the other day looking for advice on lathe threads.
Recently got a shed built and filled it with tools I’ve been collecting and using from the middle aisle in Lidl.
I know they’re cheap, but I’m a hobbyist and that 3 year warranty takes a lot of pressure off buying tools.
Currently fitting out my shed with benches and starting into a French cleat wall, but timber supplies are running out and raw material is my biggest expense.
Looking forward to chats and advice and inspiration.
IMG_1578.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1610.jpeg
    IMG_1610.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1627.jpeg
    IMG_1627.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Shop is 9x5m insulated steel shed from steeltech here in Ireland.
I costed up a blockwork shed with a cut roof, almost double the cost of this.
I costed up a timber built shed, which would have been a little cheaper, but my time is tight, this was ordered and 10 weeks later, was erected in one day.
New slab was poured inside and polished to anchor the whole thing down. a few days later, I started building out benches.

Last edited:
Welcome to UKW, I'm from Ireland also, midlands and I went a similar route to yours in 2015. I went with a 20 x 12 from Shanette, which has rapidly filled up! You'll find plenty of great advice from the members here.

Is condensation a problem? That and insulation are the two issues I have with metal buildings.
And maybe the appearance is a bit of a negative. Wood and brick are easier on the eye.
Mine is insulated 50mm, there was a lot of condensation while the slab cured, but I towelled it every day for an about a week, and then only occasionally. There is sometimes a drop or two where the clear roof panels are, but I keep tools and material away from that. Yeah they can look a bit industrial, but I’ve a big garden and plan to plant around it to mask it off

Attachments

• 2EB1F727-F5C4-4E3E-A1B2-410AD9572034.jpeg
    2EB1F727-F5C4-4E3E-A1B2-410AD9572034.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Also welcome, I as well from Ireland, north of Ashbourne, still on a very steep learning curve!!
The advice here is great, shed looks great.
Enjoy and learn (most of mine is by doing it the wrong way, many, many different ways!’.

Welcome to the UK . Such a sensible choice of construction for your shed/workshop. :) Living in a mid terrace cottage in a Rural Village and Conservation area, I had little choice but to build my workshop in timber, however wood was very cheap back in 2012 . I would have loved to have seen the local Planner's face had I have built a steel workshop in my garden .:) Like you, I love the challenge of solving problems and probably spend more time troubleshooting, exploring options, designing and planning stuff than actually constructing anything these days . 🙄

Hello, another new member from Ireland.
Former architect turned software manager. Love woodworking and solving problems. Living in the middle of Ireland and working from home with family so the shed is my switch off space.
Only found this forum the other day looking for advice on lathe threads.
Recently got a shed built and filled it with tools I’ve been collecting and using from the middle aisle in Lidl.
I know they’re cheap, but I’m a hobbyist and that 3 year warranty takes a lot of pressure off buying tools.
Currently fitting out my shed with benches and starting into a French cleat wall, but timber supplies are running out and raw material is my biggest expense.
Looking forward to chats and advice and inspiration.View attachment 173625
That's a nice shed, I am in Mayo.

Latest posts

Back