A new Beaver from across the pond

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Beaver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone from N. Ireland. I have just joined the forum. I put my first post in the "Off Topic" section but just want to say hello. I put most of my interests in my profile so you can read that there. For now, I retired in 2017 based on health issues caused by the stresses of being the CEO of a youth & community charity fighting modern government processes, bureaucracy and fund raising. As a person who is used to hard work on a farm, running my carpentry and joinery business I'm one of those people that likes to get things done, rather than spending months and years jumping through hoops and red tape and making sure my "rear end" is covered rather that making a decision. You guys will know what I mean. It wore me down badly. Anyway, sad talk over. I served my time as a carpenter and joiner almost 50yrs ago and I love my trade. When I gave up my own business to work with teenagers at risk, thankfully I kept all my tools and machinery. As well as senior management, I am certified at a high level within the adventure industry; canoeing, kayaking climbing and a lot of other things. Now retired, I work at my hobbies and like to develop my skills further. Woodworking, carving, woodturning, leather work, metalwork, knife making, tools or axe or weapon making, working with horn etc, metal turning, welding, blacksmithing, outdoor living, some hunting, old muzzleloader interests and a keen focus on history of the 17th to 19th century living, mostly the American frontier fur trade and flintlock era. This brings all my interests and skill to one period. I am married almost 30yrs to a fantastic woman from Chicago USA and we have 3 adult kids. Thankfully my youngest son is a joiner, so that mean I can buy more tools as I know they have a future beyond me. Oh, I forgot about a dog Nell, she is my supervisor and I get to do nothing without her nose in the middle of it. At the end of a day I like to sit in my workshop, clear my mind with a smoke from my home made pipes and a beer or a wee single malt.

If you have time and you would like to see some of my projects and interests, you are very welcome to look at my wee website where I now try to put up all my work, I hope you enjoy my creations and maybe get some inspiration for old technology. Hugo Dale

That it from this old Beaver.

" 'Bout ye!" Hugo, from a fellow Norn Iron outdoorsman, now exiled in Northumberland. I miss the webbed feet of Co. Fermanagh and 'ploutering about' in the Mournes and Sperrins.
Your website is interesting, nice carvings.

" 'Bout ye!" Hugo, from a fellow Norn Iron outdoorsman, now exiled in Northumberland. I miss the webbed feet of Co. Fermanagh and 'ploutering about' in the Mournes and Sperrins.
Your website is interesting, nice carvings.

Web feet and gills for Fermanagh for sure. Done loads of canoeing there. The Mournes is more home to me...

Give (Lower) Cove cave a wave for me next time you pass it. Crackin' half hour's nonsense on the way to the top of Lamaghan. Or, better still, the boiler plates ascending from Wee Binnion to the crags of Binnion proper, finishing with that shoughy chinney over-looking Ben Crom.

Give (Lower) Cove cave a wave for me next time you pass it. Crackin' half hour's nonsense on the way to the top of Lamaghan. Or, better still, the boiler plates ascending from Wee Binnion to the crags of Binnion proper, finishing with that shoughy chinney over-looking Ben Crom.
Seems like you know the area. I'm not sure currently, but Cove Cave was close as the big rock at the top where you squeeze through at the top moved.

Shame. I wonder if the side entrance is now completely stuffed too?
Not sure but it think if the top is closed the side will be too. It's been a while since I've been up there myself to check it out. Now it's in my mind I must ask my friend who live close to that area.

Back