Mechanical pencil alternative

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep a stock of ordinary HB pencils and a sharpener for rough marking and use an inexpensive bright orange (otherwise I'd lose it!) Rotring Tikki mechanical 0.7mm pencil. The leads snap frequently but I don't care as they can be bought by the hundred for very little money and I keep a good stock in the workshop. I wouldn't be without the mechanical pencil for accurate fine marking work.

Very happy with my 0.5mm graphgear. about £11 I think. I use regular pencils too but a mechanical is nice if using sliding rules with 0.5mm holes in.

I got a Pica Pencil a while ago and love it. Couldn’t quite get used to the little sharpener at the end at first but I’ve got the hang of it now, and I never seem to lose it.

I just have a number of pencils scattered around, so there's usually one or more nearby when I need one. Various sorts, no rigid scheme.

I got a Pica Pencil a while ago and love it. Couldn’t quite get used to the little sharpener at the end at first but I’ve got the hang of it now, and I never seem to lose it.
I've spoken to loads of trades people who have tried the pica/tracer and it seems to divide the crowd. Either they totally love it and convert immediately or they keep losing them and give up.
I've been using mine for 6 months and have never lost it so looks like I'm one of the lucky ones.

Ive got a tracer, a few mechanical pencils ir varying lead thicknesses but i end up back with staedler hb.... i get the multipacks just before the new school term because tesco flog them off cheaper 😅

Most of the mechanical leads break when you drop the pencil, even happens with the tracer sometimes. I like them, but 1st fix can be a bit rough on pencils

I have always used a variety of pencils that lay about everywhere. Also i like ballpoint pens though i know i will be crucified for saying it!
Carpenters pencils i find useless & the last lot went in the stove.
One thing all pencils have in common is their magnetic attraction to a space time anomaly that eats them. Either that or i have leprechauns with a pencil fetish.
They all disapear, When i cleared my old 1500 sq ft workshop i was amazed to not find any of those i had lost.

Hello,

I completely understand your struggle with mechanical pencils and breaking leads. Although I don't personally use them, I've heard great things about pens with fine points, such as the Pilot G2 or the Sakura Micron. These pens are known for their precision and ability to create smooth, consistent lines. Additionally, they come in a range of sizes, so you can choose the one that works best for your needs.

If you're looking for a more unique option, you might consider trying a fountain pen with a fine nib. Fountain pens are known for their versatility and ability to produce a wide range of line widths and styles. Some popular brands include Lamy, Pelikan, and TWSBI. Just keep in mind that fountain pens require a bit more maintenance than other types of pens, as they need to be regularly cleaned and refilled with ink.

On a related note, have you considered taking a taxi to the store to pick up your new pen or pencil? It's often faster and more convenient than driving yourself, especially in heavy traffic. Plus, you can use the time during the ride to brainstorm new ideas or catch up on work emails. Just make sure to check the taxi company's reputation and prices beforehand to ensure a safe and comfortable trip.

I hope this helps, and happy writing!
Thank you very much Gossi for your recommendations,

I will check out those pens with fine points for my woodworking. However, I did not have a good experience with fountain pens from my childhood. Every now and then, it would randomly create a big splash of ink on the paper. I do not want this to happen on the wood.

In my country (and I am living in a village, getting a taxi would cost me 3-4 times more than driving myself, so it is not an option.

Thanks.

On a related note, have you considered taking a taxi to the store to pick up your new pen or pencil? It's often faster and more convenient than driving yourself, especially in heavy traffic. Plus, you can use the time during the ride to brainstorm new ideas or catch up on work emails. Just make sure to check the taxi company's reputation and prices beforehand to ensure a safe and comfortable trip.
How's that for a surreptitious bit of Australian advertising - try the link
Brian

Staedtler 2H traditional range with bonded lead for me....at least 10 knocking around the workshop 2 shorties in my pocket and still can't find one!!

I have gone for quantity, pencil sized holes drilled in sides of shelves and staedtler black and yellow pencils popped back in whenever I find one. I did get a Zebra Delguard 'unbreakable' propelling pencil and this is great, but I keep it indoors because I know it would get lost in a pile of shavings.

Zebra Pen DelGuard Mechanical Pencil, Secure & Reliable Propelling Pencil, Stylish & Unbreakable Mechanical Pencils For Consistent Lines, Innovative & Reliable Retractable Pencils - Black, 0.5 mm https://amzn.eu/d/bPzT3E6

I use only pencils and the best I've found is made by Pentel,
as was mentioned in a previous post, but the Graphgear 1000
series offer sizes .03 to .09 and it is made of all metal. As far as I
know is the only one that has a shield that "completely retracts" into
the body when you press the clip that is used to attach it to a shirt
pocket. The thing that really sets this pencil apart is when you advance the lead
to your desired length it stays at that setting. When you retract the lead
using the clip it stays the same length, when you push it open again.
I get them on Amazon for about $10.00 U.S. and a 4 pack ix around
$35. I use the .05 mostly, however they all come in handy and for the
quality and lack of breaking leads as often I think it is money well spent.

My pencil journey:
1. Pencil
2. Pencil plus sharpener
3. Multiple pencils and multiple sharpeners, dotted around everywhere
4. A box of 200 pencils + a desk mounted helix head sharpener, sharpen 100 pencils in one sitting every month, keep about 30 pencils in each location and just pick up a sharp one when needed and stash the blunt one in the sharpening queue / zone.

So option 4 was working really well for me, the 200 pencils were under £10 from Amazon, as was the sharpener which is amazingly efficient. And I never ever need to look for a pencil because they are basically everywhere. Sharpening is done in bulk and takes no time.

Then I discovered option 5..... Tried it just for fun, not through need...

5. Tracer pencil. Game changer. Never going back, and I still have option 4 running in parallel as a backup.

Martin
I nearly bought a Tracer pencil at Screwfix live last weekend, the Mrs was with me and I couldn't justify paying £30 though, (it was the kit mind), I ended up buying an Ox mechanical pencil and am very happy with it, I still have 100s of carpenters pencils and screwfix pencils all over the workshop

I'm right handed so always stick my pencil behind my right ear - then its always at hand and I never need to go looking for it.

The other day I went to fetch it from behind my ear and it wasn't there! - I spent ten minutes looking everywhere for it and eventually found another one lying around, but I was baffled as to where it had gone.

It wasn't until later in the day that I found it behind my left ear - never even thought to look there as I never put it there! 😊

I now have a pencil in every room! So when I lose one, I can find another out of the losing zone. I like the flat ones, sharpen them with a Stanley knife. I like mechanical pencils for drawing. Tried marking with one once, never again. Maybe I'm too clumsy. I like conventional pencils for artistic drawing - not that I do any anymore. Well actually I used to prefer charcoal for that. Whole 'nother subject.

Feeling quite chuffed today as I picked up a pica pencil from Howdens Joinery for £3 🙂

It's rare I leave Howdens feeling like I got a good deal but they have some vouchers available at the moment which are worth using, for example I also got some O'Keeffe's hand cream for £1 👍

I'm right handed so always stick my pencil behind my right ear - then its always at hand and I never need to go looking for it.

The other day I went to fetch it from behind my ear and it wasn't there! - I spent ten minutes looking everywhere for it and eventually found another one lying around, but I was baffled as to where it had gone.

It wasn't until later in the day that I found it behind my left ear - never even thought to look there as I never put it there! 😊
Reminds me of the time my Dad lost three pairs of glasses. They were all pushed up on his head.

Latest posts

Back