Mechanical pencil alternative

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I like using a mechanical pencil for marking on planed surfaces, but the lead always breaks off. Do you use any alternative, like a pen with a very slim point? Can you recommend something?

Thank you.

Pentel graphgear with good quality lead works well. 0.5mm if you’re careful, 0.7 if you’re not.

Alternative is a clutch pencil, or just a regular pencil in something like a 2H

Pentel graphgear with good quality lead works well. 0.5mm if you’re careful, 0.7 if you’re not.

Alternative is a clutch pencil, or just a regular pencil in something like a 2H
I use a clutch pencil as well,if I am fed up with mechanical pencil.

Hello,

I like using a mechanical pencil for marking on planed surfaces, but the lead always breaks off. Do you use any alternative, like a pen with a very slim point? Can you recommend something?

Thank you.
Don't press so hard and just rub the lead on a piece of fine sandpaper (or similar) at an angle of 45deg (or there abouts) - you will get an edge of 0.1mm or finer

Hello,

Thank you.
You've already mentioned clutch pencils which are the obvious alternative. I have a couple of preferred styles, there is a cheap Koh-i-Noor without a clip at about £3 a throw and the Steadtlers with the knurled metal grip and a clip for perhaps £7-10.

I also like propelling pencils in 0.9mm diameter, the additional width makes them both a lot more robust and long lasting. For general use on paper I found a click was needed once a sentence or even more with 0.5mm lead, it's every couple of paragraphs with 0.9mm.

I'd also recommend playing with brands and grades of lead, different brands have a different feel (waxy, scratchy etc) and grades are not comparable between brands - for example I find Steadtler lead is a couple of grades harder than I expect.

I have used all sorts over the years but went back to old fashioned wood. They survive workshop conditions better and are cheaper.
Ordinary pencil sharpeners are good or the bench type with a handle.
Once you revert you realise that there is absolutely no advantage in clutch or mechanical pencils at all. Just more gadgets.
I use 2H, HB, 2B a lot - different brand for each grade so you can identify by colour, and a crayon for marking sawn surfaces.
There's a little trick with ordinary pencils to stop them wearing unevenly - you twist them slightly as you draw a line and the point stays central. Becomes second nature.

Last edited:
Pica dry pencil, its like an old fashioned clutch pencil. It has a fat lead but a built in sharpener in the holster to keep it sharp. I like it because I dont lose it, the holster just always sits in the corner of my pocket. I have previously managed to lose all other kinds of pencils.
Also you can get coloured leads for different needs and different hardness of graphite as well.

Ollie

My pencil journey:
1. Pencil
2. Pencil plus sharpener
3. Multiple pencils and multiple sharpeners, dotted around everywhere
4. A box of 200 pencils + a desk mounted helix head sharpener, sharpen 100 pencils in one sitting every month, keep about 30 pencils in each location and just pick up a sharp one when needed and stash the blunt one in the sharpening queue / zone.

So option 4 was working really well for me, the 200 pencils were under £10 from Amazon, as was the sharpener which is amazingly efficient. And I never ever need to look for a pencil because they are basically everywhere. Sharpening is done in bulk and takes no time.

Then I discovered option 5..... Tried it just for fun, not through need...

5. Tracer pencil. Game changer. Never going back, and I still have option 4 running in parallel as a backup.

Martin

It seems to come up all the time but I really don't know what you guys do with your pencils :dunno:

A pack of 12 Staedtler 2H 110 Tradition lasts me a year.

My clever system is I keep the pencil in my pocket, take it out to when I need to use it then put it back in my pocket again, it really is that simple 🤯

I also carry a Pica dry with a softer lead for when it's needed.

An old school Helix sharpener is a must have for the Staedtlers, very theraputic.

It seems to come up all the time but I really don't know what you guys do with your pencils :dunno:

A pack of 12 Staedtler 2H 110 Tradition lasts me a year.

My clever system is I keep the pencil in my pocket, take it out to when I need to use it then put it back in my pocket again, it really is that simple 🤯

I also carry a Pica dry with a softer lead for when it's needed.

An old school Helix sharpener is a must have for the Staedtlers, very theraputic.
You have never lost any time through looking for a pencil? That really is amazing! 😀
For me, even 3 seconds is too long to spend looking for a pencil.

I have almost always used wood pencils. Buy a new box when I am down to the last couple. I also keep a few of the wide flat joiners pencils around for less accurate tasks. I did try a propelling pencil for a few days but kept loosing it. I know lost pencils turn up again but I could not work with just one.
Regards
John

I use a Staedtler carpenters pencil, I think it's the medium one about HB. The leads are bonded to the wood, so they don't break when dropped on a concrete floor. The only downside is that they are made in China, which is a shame, but I've never been able to find ones that are made in Europe so far.

As for the mechanical side of things, Staedtler Mars Technico, that one is made in Germany so are the HB leads.

Last edited:
I use a Staedtler carpenters pencil, I think it's the medium one about HB. The leads are bonded to the wood, so they don't break when dropped on a concrete floor. The only downside is that they are made in China, which is a shame, but I've never been able to find ones that are made in Europe so far.

As for the mechanical side of things, Staedtler Mars Technico, that one is made in Germany so are the HB leads.
I bought some carpenters pencils from the Keswick Museum years ago but never really got used to them. Maybe I just missed the point. :unsure:

https://www.derwentart.com/en-gb/c/about/company/derwent-pencil-museum

I like them because they can draw a longer line before they need sharpening, the width of the lead makes the point more durable and they don't roll around if I'm working on a slope.

As they are larger and bright red, they show up well in a pile of shavings.

I like to use a Staedtler clutch pencil with a 2mm lead. Sharpen with a bit of 120 grit abrasive paper.

I also have a 6mm clutch pencil for rough marking out. I made that one myself from a kit from Turner's Retreat - you will need a pen turning outfit.

I use a Pentel Graphgear as well.

In the house I have a huge box of pencils, and a small electric office sharpener (£30?). Very easy to use, and the children love using it. All pencils are now sharp!

In the house I have a huge box of pencils, and a small electric office sharpener (£30?). Very easy to use, and the children love using it. All pencils are now sharp!
:ROFLMAO:
I've got a hand-turned bench pencil sharpener. The grandchildren enjoy sharpening pencils down to the last inch! Very helpful, short pencils fit your pocket better.

My pencil journey:
1. Pencil
2. Pencil plus sharpener
3. Multiple pencils and multiple sharpeners, dotted around everywhere
4. A box of 200 pencils + a desk mounted helix head sharpener, sharpen 100 pencils in one sitting every month, keep about 30 pencils in each location and just pick up a sharp one when needed and stash the blunt one in the sharpening queue / zone.

So option 4 was working really well for me, the 200 pencils were under £10 from Amazon, as was the sharpener which is amazingly efficient. And I never ever need to look for a pencil because they are basically everywhere. Sharpening is done in bulk and takes no time.

Then I discovered option 5..... Tried it just for fun, not through need...

5. Tracer pencil. Game changer. Never going back, and I still have option 4 running in parallel as a backup.

Martin
And yoou thought that lesson at school as pencil monitor would be of no use in later life along with algebra 😂😂

Back