Makita 18v batteries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a cheap supplier of genuine makita 18v batteries. At least 4ah or above, single or twin packs.
Many thanks
Mark

I know that you have said "genuine" but be wary of any that are too cheap and are fakes/counterfeit. it certainly used rot be a problem and I doubt that times have changed. the compatible ones, whether good, bad or indifferent are at least not pretending to be Makita.

Yes I'm aware of them being too cheap, I'm looking for a reputable dealer not some random on ebay that comes from China.
I've had bad experience with fakes (not pretending to be Makita) overheating and won't buy them again, hence the request for genuine. I know I'm not going to save loads but any dealer with a deal on will help

Cheers

mark

Last edited:
I would just be keeping an eye on all the standard sites (screwfix, toolstation, ITS etc), it is the sort of thing that will change reguarly in price, but will never come down that much. the batteries aren't normally promoted, however, I often see drill deals with two batteries and a case which work out at around the same price as just the batteries, so you could go for these then offset the cost by selling on the drill, charger and case. Of course this takes time and effort

ITS often have deals on them and are a good company to deal with I’ve found.

I use powertoolworld quite often - like TheUnicorn said, you can quite often get a really good deal with a drill and charger included.

I also just look out for deals. A few of the big sheds have had some specials on recently. In my experience no one sells them uber cheap all the time.

Pretty much most of mine are now 5ah.

I replaced 2 2ah Makita batteries in the summer with two 4ah generic bayteries from amazon. Not a named brand, but they seem to work very well for about £35 for the pair. Admittedly I'm not using them all day every day, but they are much better than the old ones, and a new drill would be quite a bit more money.

Often the best deals are the complete tool packages, new tool and several batteries. I did have several cordless tools that went to recycling, two AEG's and a dewalt as I brought new tools.

I did try china batteries a few years ago and tbh I would never do it again. They did not last nearly as long and they failed in the end, never again for me.

( That said, they are just cells at the end of the day and there is no reason why a copy could not be as good using quality gear. Just there is less incentive / quality control over many of these copies)

Anyone know of a cheap supplier of genuine makita 18v batteries. At least 4ah or above, single or twin packs.
Many thanks
Mark
I bought a 5ah Makita battery from Powertool World last month. Can't remember the exact price - about £100. No problems with it so far and it's had a lot of use - 3 or 4 charges and noticeably a lot longer between charges than the 3ah ones

You can find some good deals on Amazon as it sometimes says available from different supplier at cheaper price, you can then often buy them directly from that supplier if you want.

A couple of months ago I got some cheap (although 3ah) ones from www.powertool-supplies.co.uk which I saw listed on Amazon but actually bought from Nuts & Bolts/Powertool supplies own site.

I bought a 5ah Makita battery from Powertool World last month. Can't remember the exact price - about £100. No problems with it so far and it's had a lot of use - 3 or 4 charges and noticeably a lot longer between charges than the 3ah ones
Don't scare him! £75 on there!... Noticed theres a few places doing them in the sixties if you keep looking..

Don't scare him! £75 on there!... Noticed theres a few places doing them in the sixties if you keep looking..
Hope I didn't scare him stimpy! I suppose £100 or so isn't the same for a hobbyist as it is for someone running a business. The hobbyist will probably only use tools occasionally, but someone relying on tools to earn a living needs something dependable which will soon repay the investment. That's not to suggest that professional woodworkers are superior to hobbyists. I was one myself at one time and I've seen levels of quality achieved by amateurs way beyond anything I've ever managed

Hope I didn't scare him stimpy! I suppose £100 or so isn't the same for a hobbyist as it is for someone running a business. The hobbyist will probably only use tools occasionally, but someone relying on tools to earn a living needs something dependable which will soon repay the investment. That's not to suggest that professional woodworkers are superior to hobbyists. I was one myself at one time and I've seen levels of quality achieved by amateurs way beyond anything I've ever managed
If I needed a battery now, £100 might not be unreasonable, If I could wait a week and shop around I'd be annoyed if I couldn't get it for significantly less than that.

I bought a 5ah from Amazon for £55 in April, genuine battery. It's back at £73 now but the price does fluctuate, keep an eye out and they do come down occasionally.

I bought a couple of copy batteries for my 18v Hitachi...lith Iron.....
1 never worked and the other gave up after 4 charges.....cant send em back from here.....
I'll buy originals only next time....
but saying that might just chop in the Hitachi for another Milwaukee Fuel tool...
the cost difference and between the age/use of the Hitachi and a new un......no contest really...

Both of my cheapie 5Ah batteries died after a few months, probably overheating, through use on the chainsaw. Now I only buy genuine Makita batteries.

Set up an alert on "HotUKDeals" and you'll be notified when they are on offer somewhere.

Back