Lost for words...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chataigner":3l6mo6a1 said:
...and another thing, what happened to the subjunctive? Because it is used extensively in french, I find myself trying to explain it to english people here who are trying to master french. None of them seem to know what it is.

One has to be careful here - grammar is merely created by academics trying to describe what the language already does. Hence grammar rules must follow language, not the other way round. More people can use the pluperfect than can define it (or have heard of it!)

By the way, adjectives describing nationality should start with a capital. :D

It also used to be rule (for those that wish to follow old rules) that one shouldn't start a sentence with a conjunction, such as "and". :D

BugBear

Chataigner":26f1org1 said:
a lot of wit (that's another word we hear infrequently).

I hear 'Halfwit' quite often when I'm around (just as well really, if I heard it when I wasn't around it would be worrying).

I hail originally from Yorkshire where a few Nordic (Viking) words were/are? in use - "Laiking" which means messing about/playing.
Usually said as "stop laiking about".
We used a "buffet" instead of "stool" - the seat variety.
My mother used to say "slart" for fruit juice but I am sure she made that up?

When I moved down south and actually worked in a Castle I soon learned to say Caarrsel and butterrr for butter. :)

Rod

Harbo":2rgtwvtu said:
I hail originally from Yorkshire where a few Nordic (Viking) words were/are? in use - "Laiking" which means messing about/playing.
Surely just a version of "larking about" ?

When I was young, so long ago now, sigh..... , I was sure there was a thing called a 'Wossisname' as I heard it being referred to so many times. I also thought what I now know as a Linen Basket was called a Lid n Basket.

RogerM":1hbzsus1 said:
Harbo":1hbzsus1 said:
Surely just a version of "larking about" ?

Some quick etymological research reveals that "laiking" is the father of "larking".

So I suppose "larking" is a version of "laiking", rather than the other way round.

BugBear

gus3049":1b2xxgzv said:
Have we started on split infinitives yet?

My pet hate. It is the one grammatical error up with which I will not put!

e haven't started on them yet, but I think we soonly will... :mrgreen:

John :D

Benchwayze":35gn0wzg said:
gus3049":35gn0wzg said:

Considered to be correct in US english I believe, though a friend said only one adverb, so the oft quoted "to boldly go" is OK, but "to quickly boldly go" is not. Any Americans out there who can comment?

Chataigner":3ua6uv7w said:
Benchwayze":3ua6uv7w said:
gus3049":3ua6uv7w said:

Considered to be correct in US english I believe, though a friend said only one adverb, so the oft quoted "to boldly go" is OK, but "to quickly boldly go" is not. Any Americans out there who can comment?

US English isn't English. Period!

Webster changed spellings because he wanted to be different to Britain and he had a 'big' thing over phonetics. So centre became center and so on.

I think split infinitives sound clumsy, whether modern usage recognises them or not.

But that's just me.

John :)

This has developed into a really good read. Well on the way to making a good bedside book - seriously. Do we all own the publishing rights?

One thing that has always fascinated me is the origin of some every day words. Take for example the humble spanner, a tool we are all familiar with, what's its origin?
It turns out, like quite a few words, to have originated with fire arms, to be precise, with the wheel lock.
The wheel was like the wheel in the modern lighter, and performed the same function, it produced a stream of sparks to ignite the powderin the pan.
The wheel was operated by a clock type spring that had to be wound up, which act was performed with a key type device.
The instructions for winding the spring were, span your weapon! hence, spanner.

Roy.

Digit":2oos5wk7 said:
One thing that has always fascinated me is the origin of some every day words. Take for example the humble spanner, a tool we are all familiar with, what's its origin?
It turns out, like quite a few words, to have originated with fire arms, to be precise, with the wheel lock.
The wheel was like the wheel in the modern lighter, and performed the same function, it produced a stream of sparks to ignite the powderin the pan.
The wheel was operated by a clock type spring that had to be wound up, which act was performed with a key type device.
The instructions for winding the spring were, span your weapon! hence, spanner.

Roy.
Thanks Roy.I didn't know that. Another daily bit of learning.

It doesn't have quite the same ring as 'Monkey-Wrench' though does it! 'Right men! You heard the Captain. By Numbers... Wrench your weapons...! '

'I think we're stepping into the realms of fantasy here Corporal Jones!'

:lol: :lol: :lol:

John

Back