Looking for a decent apron

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whittler1507

Established Member
Reaction score
Really looking for a decent apron, my requirements are really quite simple. (Well I think so but pipper red if I can find one)

Something not made as stiff as an ironing board, straps that go over the shoulders and not around the neck.
a couple of covered pockets and one for a pencil and small Veritas square.

Lots of old injuries from when I was in the forces are coming back to haunt my so really suffer with straps round my neck, really cannot believe that it's so hard to find a decent shop apron.

What do you guys wear? I was really thinking of the Veritas one apart from being made from rigid canvas (aka ironing board )it looked the business. Unfortunately everywhere and I mean everywhere seems to be out of stock (including the eBay shops that show em as in)

Stu.

Could you modify a normal ' round the neck' version - two straps of leather or fabric . I use a normal leather apron but was a bit fed up of tying the back strap (and getting it knotted) so I use a bungee cord with a knot in the middle to make it the right size. The hooks just go through holes in the apron, actually one hook is bent so as to stay permanently in place and I just unhook the other end. So if you did a similar thing, could you then have over shoulder straps which hook onto the bungee cord?

K

I have the veritas one, which I haven't found to be particularly stiff. not cheap, but good quality.

I would think that if it is too stiff for you, putting it through the washing machine will soften it up a bit.

Thanks I'll get the Veritas one and give it a go. Like the idea of the bungee cord, I struggle with tying, clipping behind my back.

Keeps dirt off you cloths, enables you to take it off and go into the kitchen without contaminating every thing on the way, handy to keep a tape, remote for the extractor and pencils, there are so many reasons!

Mike

I too like an apron. I know buy of eBay leather aprons that meet your specification, very inexpensive and the old one is great for all sorts of things whenever you need a new one. Leather also stops absolutely everything getting through, and is a lot more wear resistant than cotton.

whittler1507":sd5p030t said:
Really looking for a decent apron, my requirements are really quite simple. (Well I think so but pipper red if I can find one)
Dust coat for the wood work shed and a leather apron for the metal work shed, definitely useful when grinding / cutting with angle grinder. A bit of elastic round the sleeve of the dust coat so they don't catch on things!!!
Timber
Something not made as stiff as an ironing board, straps that go over the shoulders and not around the neck.
a couple of covered pockets and one for a pencil and small Veritas square.

Lots of old injuries from when I was in the forces are coming back to haunt my so really suffer with straps round my neck, really cannot believe that it's so hard to find a decent shop apron.

What do you guys wear? I was really thinking of the Veritas one apart from being made from rigid canvas (aka ironing board )it looked the business. Unfortunately everywhere and I mean everywhere seems to be out of stock (including the eBay shops that show em as in)

Stu.

+1 for leather aprons, mine is now so old I have no idea where it came from.
Definitely no pockets, head loop and around the waist only, sometimes I fold the 'bib' part down and tuck it behind the skirt and wear it that way.
I also have a couple of light canvas ones that were free issue when I worked on aircraft parts.

whatever canvas you use, it will always be stiff straight from the mill as it were. As has been mentioned before, put it in the washing machine a few times, then put it on a cool cycle in the dryer with some of those balls you can buy,

I forgot to add, I've never understood why someone would want to keep pointy metal objects in a pocket right in front of their "tackle". Seems daft to me.

woodpig":1fint7pq said:
I forgot to add, I've never understood why someone would want to keep pointy metal objects in a pocket right in front of their "tackle". Seems daft to me.

It stops people grabbing at your lunch box.

There's nothing else in a workshop that has the same generational divide as an apron.

Woodworkers over the age of forty all have an apron, at least for glue ups and finishing but often for everyday wear as well. Woodworkers under forty wouldn't be seen dead in an apron and regard glue spattered jumpers as a badge of office.

I use my leather apron to keep sparks off my clothes when angle grinding or welding. Sparks burn holes in cotton etc.

K

I love the smell of leather first thing in the morning. :wink:

Make of that what you like.

Mike

custard":1oc30jhq said:
There's nothing else in a workshop that has the same generational divide as an apron.
Woodworkers over the age of forty all have an apron, at least for glue ups and finishing but often for everyday wear as well. Woodworkers under forty wouldn't be seen dead in an apron and regard glue spattered jumpers as a badge of office.
So is it just some weird memory of a movie or two stuck in my head that kept telling me these things were the norm for woodworking shops?

creep-by-hiroshi-awai-cotton-shop-coat-ss2011-1.jpg

Honestly, I'd rather one of those. Easy to throw it on when I go to the shed after work, keeps the worst of the shellac and glue off clothes, has pockets to keep marking knives for that handy quick bloodletting action, all that jazz. I just use one of these at the moment because -1C in an 8x6 shed is pretty miserable:

8720m_black_ft.jpg

But it picks up glue like the fur on ugg boots picks up pigshit on a farm. Which isn't great. So I'd rather swap it for something lighter in summer and I was thinking of a shop coat (not the one above obviously, because who the hell pays €350 for a shop coat, but ebay have loads and so do aliexpress).

Back