UK Sand Blasting compressor advice...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickds1

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
So, I've just acquired a small desk-top sand/shot blasting cabinet - it's a pretty generic one sold under various names, one being the Sealy SB951, though I only paid a fraction of that s/h, complete with 25kg of grit, a very solid work table on castors, loads of spare nozzles and kit etc. Only thing I'm renewing are the gloves, which are really cheap to replace anyway.

Target is to clean small stuff from my LandRover rebuilds - seat rails, door hinges - nothing major as the cabinet is not that big, so no axels etc.!

I'm now looking to upgrade my pretty pathetic compressor to something decent and switching to Euro connectors all round at the same time.

I've been looking at the Hyundai HY27550 which looks reasonable... HOWEVER, I'm told that the important metric is NOT displacement CFM, but rather airflow FAD (which is rarely quoted as it's typically half the airflow CFM).

So, is that a perfectly good compressor at FAD 5 CFM for airtools, spraying & shotblasting in a small cabinet, or should I be looking for a higher FAD CFM? I want a decent make, reasonably quiet(!!) and small as possible footprint. A 50 litre tank also seemed reasonable but really just looking for advice. Budget could stretch to an HY3100P, but only if really necessary! (plus it's TWICE as heavy as the HY27550)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08F7YTKY7
Just for completeness, I've included a table of the specs of all the small-ish Hyundai compressors...

f997c959-f852-4697-a9cf-a478412ccdfe.__CR1,0,970,300_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Last edited:
Depends what you are cleaning ....little parts and not many...if you only want to run for a couple of minutes...then any quiet compressor will do
but if you are wanting to run continuosly for long periods then you do need a big one.( oh err) look at hydrovanes they can be expensive but you will get your money back if you sell it later on
Ian

sandblasting requires high volume flow, the compressor needs to hold the pressure at around 95 PSI but all this depends upon the gun and nozzle fitted. Yes the idea of a hydrovane is one idea as they can be picked up second hand but maybe a little big for small components.

excuse the mess but said junk will give u an idea on size....
this is a 400v x 5hp V twin direct drive Atlas CopCo....
extensive use of my sandblaster cabinet will make the comp run full time........
IMG_1245.JPG

excuse the mess but said junk will give u an idea on size....
this is a 400v x 5hp V twin direct drive Atlas CopCo....
extensive use of my sandblaster cabinet will make the comp run full time........
View attachment 171537
Me too, I have a little cabinet identical to the OP, and a big floor standing one. To run continuously you want at least 14cfm fad. You can run it on less, but you will have to keep stopping. Also make sure you have adequate water filtration in the lines, otherwise you will quickly contaminate your media with water.

50 litre tank will be too small, you want at least a 100 litre if not more, Sand blasters are VERY air hungry. What electrics do you have in your workshop? the one you want needs at least a 16 amp supply. 32 amp better. I sell them every day.

50 litre tank will be too small, you want at least a 100 litre if not more, Sand blasters are VERY air hungry. What electrics do you have in your workshop? the one you want needs at least a 16 amp supply. 32 amp better. I sell them every day.
That's a shame - I don't really have space for 100lts - it's only a very small (90ltr) blasting cabinet and I can't really justify a 100ltr compressor.

I do have a 16A supply that's used mainly for the Kity table saw and the PT, so that's definitely available if needed.

What I'm really after is a feel for the FAD CFM needed for a small cabinet that size...

Nick
the size of the cabinet is irrelevant really
a shoebox sized one will use as much air as a garage sized one
what you need to tell us is how long you will be using it for?
if you want to only use it for short bursts < 1 min then any compressor will be fine
if you want continuous for hours on end you need a very big one

Ian

You can pick up 100 litre receivers for not a lot of money so if you have a compressor already you can use that to provide a buffer between the compressor and the blasting cabinet. Some can be mounted vertically and they are around 350mm diameter by 900mm tall so fairly easy to find a home for. Just remember to drain them, or put a water separator on the compressor outlet.

Back