Christmas gift for beginner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satellitestep

Reaction score
Hi all!

First time poster, I've come across this site while looking for presents for my other half. I know nothing about woodworking and have tied myself in knots reading about all the different tools so would appreciate any advice!

My partner used to do some woodworking when he was younger and is eager to start again in the NY. He really likes the fine furniture side of things and we're looking at getting him into some courses to learn properly.

I originally wanted to buy him a bunch of stuff to get started with at home but have quickly realised that's not the best idea on my (very small) budget!

So ultimately I think i'd like to buy him something that will be good quality whenever he does get round to using it and will last as a reminder of when he started this journey - but also something nice to look at when he opens it at Christmas!

At the moment one of these sets is looking like the best option so I wondered if they are all fairly similar or if one is known for being better than the others?

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/spectre-sp-17176-carpentry-set-in-wooden-box-4-piece
https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/spear-and-jackson-ct4ps-4-piece-carpenter-s-tool-set
https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/faithfull-faiplanekit-plane-woodworking-set-4-piece
Or if I'm completely down the wrong path and there is one "must have" a beginner needs that I should get instead? Or if it's absurd to think I can get anything decent without spending big money!

Budget is ideally £50-60

Thanks so much in advance!

Go for something top notch and something that will outlast him by a mile, the stuff you've linked to is mediocre (no disrespect meant).
A suggestion - Marples Trial 1 Rosewood Screw Slide Mortice Gauge, Brass Faced T14
Id recommend the same thing. I've one of those,same make, though much older with brass strips rather than full brass plate.

I 'kind of' swopped it for a bigger mortice marker I made for my college. Mine was about 5 times the size. eg the block part was 2 1/2" thick rosewood, had an overall length of about 16". simple brass sliding 'mortice part rather than a thumbscrew.

Hi all!

First time poster, I've come across this site while looking for presents for my other half. I know nothing about woodworking and have tied myself in knots reading about all the different tools so would appreciate any advice!

My partner used to do some woodworking when he was younger and is eager to start again in the NY. He really likes the fine furniture side of things and we're looking at getting him into some courses to learn properly.

I originally wanted to buy him a bunch of stuff to get started with at home but have quickly realised that's not the best idea on my (very small) budget!

So ultimately I think i'd like to buy him something that will be good quality whenever he does get round to using it and will last as a reminder of when he started this journey - but also something nice to look at when he opens it at Christmas!

At the moment one of these sets is looking like the best option so I wondered if they are all fairly similar or if one is known for being better than the others?

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/spectre-sp-17176-carpentry-set-in-wooden-box-4-piece
https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/spear-and-jackson-ct4ps-4-piece-carpenter-s-tool-set
https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/faithfull-faiplanekit-plane-woodworking-set-4-piece
Or if I'm completely down the wrong path and there is one "must have" a beginner needs that I should get instead? Or if it's absurd to think I can get anything decent without spending big money!

Budget is ideally £50-60

Thanks so much in advance!
Do you know much about how we enjoyed working or how he expects to set up when he gets back into it?

Some people favour hand tools, whereas some people prefer power tools.

Also what is your budget?

I would agree with other posters that the gift that will get the most enjoyment will be one used for marking out as he will need to do this on every project, so it’s nice to start that process with something fancy that he knows was bought for him this other half. A nice marking knife or square perhaps. If you’re in USA then woodpeckers seem to be the must-have brand over there for squares. (Edit: just realised you said in the new year, not New York! 🤦🏻‍♂️ time for bed…)

With all due respect to those that suggested it I wouldn’t go with the mortise gauge as a lot of people prefer the wheel style marking gauge, so I would say that would require you to know his preference. You could be buying him a very beautiful version of a tool he doesn’t like.

Given your budget and the likely cost of good quality kit might it be better to get some good woodworking books? That can fire his enthusiasm and once he's been on a course or two you'll get a better idea of what he'll need

I was also going to suggest something to do with marking out, mortice gauge, combination square. As other above have discussed.

I know far less than others but the distinction between wanting to use power tools or hand tools is very important.
If you know he wants to go traditional hand tools (harder than power tools, but arguably more ‘pure and satisfying’) then the mortar gauge linked to would be great.
If it’s power tools (quicker easier, less elegant) or you’re simply not sure, that would be far less useful and something like a combination square would be far better as it works for either power or hand tools and is one of those things that everyone needs more than one of, you use it all the time and you get what you pay for.

If your budget has some flex, I would be tempted to go up to £70 for this, but only if you are near Taunton as they don’t guarantee postage for Christmas, but I imagine you could collect in person Stainless Steel Square - SS150
Or closer to your budget Starrett is a very respected brand Starrett 10MH-150 Cast Iron Square Head Student Combination Square, 150 mm Size https://amzn.eu/d/0BzoauY
(Do note this if metric rather than imperial which I prefer, but which he decides to work in may depend on his age or what he ‘thinks’ in)

Whichever you go for you could get engraved (timpsons are surprisingly good for this) but not on the flat edges of the ‘handle’ only on the rule itself (as long as they don’t bend it by clamping) or on the black areas on the handle.

I know far less than others but the distinction between wanting to use power tools or hand tools is very important.
If you know he wants to go traditional hand tools (harder than power tools, but arguably more ‘pure and satisfying’) then the mortar gauge linked to would be great.
If it’s power tools (quicker easier, less elegant) or you’re simply not sure, that would be far less useful and something like a combination square would be far better as it works for either power or hand tools and is one of those things that everyone needs more than one of, you use it all the time and you get what you pay for.

If your budget has some flex, I would be tempted to go up to £70 for this, but only if you are near Taunton as they don’t guarantee postage for Christmas, but I imagine you could collect in person Stainless Steel Square - SS150
Or closer to your budget Starrett is a very respected brand Starrett 10MH-150 Cast Iron Square Head Student Combination Square, 150 mm Size https://amzn.eu/d/0BzoauY
(Do note this if metric rather than imperial which I prefer, but which he decides to work in may depend on his age or what he ‘thinks’ in)

Whichever you go for you could get engraved (timpsons are surprisingly good for this) but not on the flat edges of the ‘handle’ only on the rule itself (as long as they don’t bend it by clamping) or on the black areas on the handle.
Benchdogs do laser engraving themselves on some of their other products, so I’m sure if that was the present that was chosen then a quick email should suffice.

I would definitely +1 on their square. I think their stuff is lovely. I would have suggested the exact square you linked only it’s a little over budget

This is really helpful thanks everybody!!

No disrespect taken on the mediocre links I posted, as I said I have absolutely no idea about this stuff!

He definitely prefers hand tools, as you said filament he finds it much more "pure and satisfying".

I love the idea of something he will use in every project, so for marking etc. The Marples mortice gauge definitely has the wow factor I want for when he opens it. The only thing that's thrown me now is the comment that some people prefer rolling ones? Is that quite common like a 50/50 split or will most people use the slide ones?

Can't push the budget much further unfortunately - it's my own fault, this is the first year I've put a spending cap on Christmas so can't really go back on it now 😂

i'm a diyer and used a cheapish Slide guage, , as a kid on the 60's i used to help my dad , who was a carpenter and a lot of his tools had brass inserts , when he passed away , in 97 my brother and i went through his tools and found the guage which he had used pretty much all his working life and with a little clean-up worked perfectly
That would certainly make a nice present -
cant see on the images , he had a single pin on 1 side and double pins on other - same as my cheap one

My son, when he finished his carpentry/joinery course at college was given, along with the other students., the Faithfull planes, gauge and square. along with a set of Irwin /Marples chisels and a Spear and Jackson hardpoint saw. He found no fault with the quality of the tools and it was a useful starter set for when he first left college.

Edit Just checked out the Faithfull set that is linked - the set my son was given was the next one along with the additional block-plane.

Last edited:
This is really helpful thanks everybody!!

No disrespect taken on the mediocre links I posted, as I said I have absolutely no idea about this stuff!

He definitely prefers hand tools, as you said filament he finds it much more "pure and satisfying".

I love the idea of something he will use in every project, so for marking etc. The Marples mortice gauge definitely has the wow factor I want for when he opens it. The only thing that's thrown me now is the comment that some people prefer rolling ones? Is that quite common like a 50/50 split or will most people use the slide ones?

Can't push the budget much further unfortunately - it's my own fault, this is the first year I've put a spending cap on Christmas so can't really go back on it now 😂
I had a quick google to see if there were any videos to show you what this tool does and how it works, and it turns out every day is a school day! I was using it wrong 😂 I used a marking gauge when I should have used a cutting gage (I have only just found out they are different and things), which is why I prefer the wheel style (cutting gauge). I guess this is the difference between being a hobbyist and being a trained professional.

Anyway hopefully this is of use to you 😊

I had a quick google to see if there were any videos to show you what this tool does and how it works, and it turns out every day is a school day! I was using it wrong 😂 I used a marking gauge when I should have used a cutting gage (I have only just found out they are different and things), which is why I prefer the wheel style (cutting gauge). I guess this is the difference between being a hobbyist and being a trained professional.

Anyway hopefully this is of use to you 😊

That's actually really helpful thank you!! I feel like I know way more about woodworking tools than I ever planned to at this point 🤣 Glad I'm not the only one learning though 😂

Do most people have a cutting and marking gauge in their kit? Would people generally agree that if you can only have one you should go with the cutting gauge as the guy in the video suggests?

That's actually really helpful thank you!! I feel like I know way more about woodworking tools than I ever planned to at this point 🤣 Glad I'm not the only one learning though 😂

Do most people have a cutting and marking gauge in their kit? Would people generally agree that if you can only have one you should go with the cutting gauge as the guy in the video suggests?
I think all people who do hand woodwork will have one of these tools in their kit, I feel like I’ve learned enough watching that video to know that I don’t know what I’m talking about enough to speak any authority on the matter 😂

Back