looking for a chisel set, what should i get

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ordered the Ashley iles mk2 bevel chisels sizes 3,6,19mm :):) just now also I've been banging on about a block plane so i got the quangsheng LA. Should be here is the next week. Wanted all LN just so i could name drop but i couldn't afford owell kept it British with the chisels. Why isn't there a good British block out there?
TT

tobytools":2tseaii0 said:
Why isn't there a good British block out there?
There is :!:
cliftonblock.jpg

Unfortunately there's only the one - that's the prototype. It's never gone into production :(

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• cliftonblock.jpg
    cliftonblock.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 635
Hi Vann,
. will I go onto production and when? I was looking at Clifton tools last night an as I browsed there planes I did think ok, bullnose, shoulder, ect ect where's the block plane, strange they don't sell one as its a very Handy tool. O well QS will have to do.
seeing your post last night Vann, I brought two lots of tools, one is a box full of bits and bobs with a few Jens init :) and a box of wooden profile planes and bow saw, I couldn't halo my self I still love old job lots and the price was throw away. I'll keep you posted van only because I think there is a 711/2 on there like your lot
TT

tobytools":2pkntyr1 said:
will I go onto production and when?
I don't know when, or even if.... I was sent that photo several years ago by someone on here (I don't know if I should say who - don't want to get anyone into trouble).

I've tried a Veritas LABP and their DX60. I find them both too heavy, and the LABP too bulky. I still use an English Stanley 110 - horrible though it is to adjust, I like it's weight. If the Clifton blockplane isn't too heavy I could well be in the market for one.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":d7jdslsi said:
tobytools":d7jdslsi said:
will I go onto production and when?
I don't know when, or even if.... I was sent that photo several years ago by someone on here (I don't know if I should say who - don't want to get anyone into trouble).

I've tried a Veritas LABP and their DX60. I find them both too heavy, and the LABP too bulky. I still use an English Stanley 110 - horrible though it is to adjust, I like it's weight. If the Clifton blockplane isn't too heavy I could well be in the market for one.

Cheers, Vann.
hi Vann, I might email Clifton and see what's going on and if they will bring one out,
I'm the opposite I like the Veritas's weight feels good in my hand and that's what its about.
I've been looming and the "new" Stanley sweetheart tools what can you tell me about them? Any good? And why have they continued to use the SW logo ect?
Thanks
TT

Hi TT

I have both Veritas and QS Planes, Oh and a few Cliftons, and to be honest I like them all. All the weight is similar bar a few ounces here and there. Once set up and sharp they will do anything you ask them to do (within reason of course). Treat them right you wil get many, many years loyal service from them. I was goining to go LN, for the simple reason is that I could, but the tight pineappled side of me said no.

So have fun with them, but don' drop them :)

tobytools":1msq9t12 said:
I've been looming and the "new" Stanley sweetheart tools what can you tell me about them? Any good? And why have they continued to use the SW logo ect?
Stanley have revived the SW logo as a marketting ploy for their "premium" range of handtools. From the little I've read their SW chisels are fine.

I post comments on the planes your "blockplane" thread.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":2puauqky said:
tobytools":2puauqky said:
Stanley have revived the SW logo as a marketting ploy for their "premium" range of handtools. From the little I've read their SW chisels are fine.

I post comments on the planes your "blockplane" thread.

Cheers, Vann.

A good marketing exercise at that. Revive a brand name that was valued for quality and apply it to the new premium range. Too bad that they dont live up to the name, or at least dont consistently live up to it. The good ones appear to be very good- IIRC Jacob was singing the praises of one, a no 4 I think.

Back