looking for a chisel set, what should i get

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for new gear, I have a huge amount of old chisels from various makers, but am looking to get a quality few, I've been told that a few good quality ones is my best bet. Such as, 3mm, 6mm, 19mm and 25mm.
Any opinions or help would be great,
Toby

longinthetooth":14504e07 said:
Old is often by far the best with chisels. Don't let shopping hunger overtake that fact.
I do totally agree. They are superior in most ways many I should just clean them up and change there broken ugly handles and put them to work, im by no means a rich man but those LN are winking at me

Are you the same Toby who buys up mixed lots of old tools? You must have had dozens of good chisels by now!

Most of mine are old and made in Sheffield. The ones I bought new have plastic handles; the old ones have wooden handles. There is no need to re-handle any of them.

IMG_5401.jpg

IMG_5402.jpg

IMG_5403.jpg

If you only have matched sets it's harder to find the chisel you want.

I will 2nd (or 3rd) getting old chisels, as long as they're not curved then they should be just fine. I've also read that it's not entirely that important to spend money on quality brands if buying new either, paul sellers is happy using a £7.95 set from aldi.

I get the feeling that with a chisel, it's not so much about who made it and more about who's using it and how well they can keep it sharpened.

I enjoy a spot of fishing when work/wife/workshop allows. There's a name for fishermen who obsessively buy new gear in the hope of catching that elusive whopper.... 'Tackle tart' .
I think we all have some tackle tart in us, especially when it comes to a shiny new set of something or other. I bet if any one of the members of this forum won the lottery Lie Nielsen would be the first stop for a brand new everything that they sell! I'm sure I would!

Set of old Blue Handled Stanley 5002 or better still Black Handled 5001 from ebay or a boot sale. They were made of good steel and are cheap and plentiful. I keep saying I'll get something better I actually am very happy with my lot. Like Andy I also have quite a few older trays for various makes.

I'll bet if you buy a set whatever else you purchase later you'll hang on to them. Great for re-grinding to different profiles etc.

AndyT":2hd8iifx said:
Are you the same Toby who buys up mixed lots of old tools? You must have had dozens of good chisels by now!

Most of mine are old and made in Sheffield. The ones I bought new have plastic handles; the old ones have wooden handles. There is no need to re-handle any of them.

If you only have matched sets it's harder to find the chisel you want.

Hi, Andy.
I'm the same Toby that used to buy job lots of old tools, but sort of lost way and collected more than any thing. Some one told be it better Otto have a few top quality tools than shed loads of dung. So im selling all my rubbish and keeping the best and investing in top tools. I have some great chisels with loads of life that are flat and ready. Some handles are shot tho, but im a tackle tart I like the London pattern handles. But uts nit important I guess. I now have a coupe LN both spoke shaves and a Veritas shoulder plane and a super tunes no6.
On a topic change I start a restoration of fine wood work course in Sep. Next year im going my joinery course so want to be ready :)

IT'S ONLY A CHISEL

What will a shiny new expensive one do that an old one won't ?

Never used a new chisel so can't really comment but unless they sharpen themselves and keep an edge for an eternity think I'll find better things to spend my meagre budget on.

I have a set to Nerex Premium chisels from ClassicHandtools.co.uk, and I think they are fantastic. There was a bit of a faze on here about a year ago which is when I bought them along with 5 metric mortice chisels (which I now regret as I tend to work in old money despite being only 24). They hold their edge well and were easy to prep, the only thing I have done out of the ordinary is wax the handles. I would recommend Narex to anyone. Why do you need a set? I only really use 6mm, 12mm and 25mm the other just stay in their box. If I were doing it again I would buy them individually as I needed them.

Matt

undergroundhunter":nk8dkbdx said:
I have a set to Nerex Premium chisels from ClassicHandtools.co.uk, and I think they are fantastic. There was a bit of a faze on here about a year ago which is when I bought them along with 5 metric mortice chisels (which I now regret as I tend to work in old money despite being only 24). They hold their edge well and were easy to prep, the only thing I have done out of the ordinary is wax the handles. I would recommend Narex to anyone. Why do you need a set? I only really use 6mm, 12mm and 25mm the other just stay in their box. If I were doing it again I would buy them individually as I needed them.

Matt
I've seen them never used ot heard anyone talk about their performance, alot of people say a set is unnecessary and that to buy as needed, as I've said earlier I will just go through my load of chisels and select a few keeper and sell the rest. I have to say even tho a few in the set are used ut nice to have the set :)
I'm gona check those that mentioned out, thanks for the advice

I bought some MHG chisels from Dick in Germany recently, very pleased with them, consistent quality. I have a set of old splitproof Marples and a set of recently acquired Footprint mortice chisels that are old but hold there edge and sharpen up well.

Reggie":mumpv9lz said:
I get the feeling that with a chisel, it's not so much about who made it and more about who's using it and how well they can keep it sharpened.

You're wrong there, steel itself varies as do its forging and tempering. It won't keep an edge if it's poor stuff.

fluffflinger":mumpv9lz said:
Set of old Blue Handled Stanley 5002 or better still Black Handled 5001 from ebay or a boot sale. They were made of good steel and are cheap and plentiful.

Seconded.

wow, he quickly you lot mock :D I've seen the blog, I've seen the videos, he doesn't seem to care much what the tool is as long as it's sharp, I'm sure he'd throw away anything that was complete garbage as would we all, he advocates grabbing 2nd hand chisels as much as anything else, I'm pretty sure that if it can hold an edge then it's very usable, whether it comes from aldi, stanley or sorby.

Back