looking for a chisel set, what should i get

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is quite interesting as I have been using the Narex Cabinet Makers chisels for quite a while now and have been very happy with them compared to some of my older more vintage ones they are not that bad.

The edge retention is fine and so is the profile. I do find them a bit lacking when chopping larger dovetails in hardwood. I recently took the plunge and ordered a Lie Nielsen Bevel Edged Chisel from classic hand tools. Just the one, a 1/2" as its the one size I reach for when tackling most tasks. That and my Hooped Unnamed Sheffield 1 1/2" Guage line deepener.

tobytools":1u7uad2y said:
...im by no means a rich man but those LN are winking at me
C'mon guys, Toby wants to splash out on some new ones (we all like a bit of bling in the shed), and it's our job to help grease the slope 8) :tool:

Ashley Iles chisels - some e-retailer in the States was even selling them with London pattern handles - but I think you'll have to fit your own.
:idea: I think you can even buy AI chisels without the handles if you buy them direct from the manufacturer (could be wrong)

Lie-Nielsen's socket chisels just wouldn't look right with London pattern handles :p

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":razababk said:
tobytools":razababk said:
...im by no means a rich man but those LN are winking at me
C'mon guys, Toby wants to splash out on some new ones (we all like a bit of bling in the shed), and it's our job to help grease the slope 8) :tool:

Ashley Iles chisels - some e-retailer in the States was even selling them with London pattern handles - but I think you'll have to fit your own.
:idea: I think you can even buy AI chisels without the handles if you buy them direct from the manufacturer (could be wrong)

Lie-Nielsen's socket chisels just wouldn't look right with London pattern handles :p

Cheers, Vann.

I agree socket chisels wouldn't look good or work with London pattern chisels lol, as has been recommended I'll probably just buy a coupe new ones .LN, but not a fan of the socket handles but i could live with them. I like blue spruce but cost way to much :(
, ive posted im looking for a LA Block plane as well, dout i could affort block and chisel set, so just gona have to use my money smartly untill i sell some more stuff on flebay, its amazing what people will but ,(i would know :))

Ps. That thread on new no4 hand plane gave me chuckles

If the fellow has already said he has vintage chisels but wants to try new chisels, who is anyone here to argue that? It is his money to spend and he has asked opinions on NEW chisels! Holy this place has a hate on anything not cheap and used...

How much budget are you looking at? What sizes are best for you will always depend on your specific area of work. The Veritas chisels are very nice and come in either O1 or the new PMV11 steel. I do not own them but have had the chance to handle them a bit and they are second to none. I do own Blue Spruce chisels and they are not only beautiful, but perform flawlessly! Now as every know, a premium chisel does not make a premium woodworker, but they are a real pleasure to handle no matter the skill level, so long as you are not suffering from the price tag...

Buy what you want sir, and don't let the pooh pooh'ers bother you!

bobbybirds":1nqjam0q said:
If the fellow has already said he has vintage chisels but wants to try new chisels, who is anyone here to argue that? It is his money to spend and he has asked opinions on NEW chisels! Holy this place has a hate on anything not cheap and used...

How much budget are you looking at? What sizes are best for you will always depend on your specific area of work. The Veritas chisels are very nice and come in either O1 or the new PMV11 steel. I do not own them but have had the chance to handle them a bit and they are second to none. I do own Blue Spruce chisels and they are not only beautiful, but perform flawlessly! Now as every know, a premium chisel does not make a premium woodworker, but they are a real pleasure to handle no matter the skill level, so long as you are not suffering from the price tag...

=D> =D>

bobbybirds":1ez4klhq said:

:) well said, every one like diffrent chisels. I've been told by a friend that the Barnsley workshop use 3mm, 6mm 19mm and 25mm chisels so I will only get these as I have plenty of diffrent sizes from as small as they get to 2" plus but want to refine to just a select few great workers. My partner have said she will donate to me £80 to go towards some new stuff, I've looked at the Ashley iles chisels. But im gona speek to a friend and c what he thinks and I regard his opinion above all others. but my budget is say about £200 but will go a but more for a set, hopefully 4 chisels don't cost that much. there are so many to choose from don't know what to do. Is this how woman feel when shopping for cloths lol

I think we've all been through the phase with each and every hobby where we assume we need to spend money, personally, if you already have a large amount of chisels, I was wondering why you really needed any more and why you necessarily needed to spend a lot of money on some? I'm certainly no expert but I'm genuinely curious :)

Reggie":2b1h4p8h said:
I think we've all been through the phase with each and every hobby where we assume we need to spend money, personally, if you already have a large amount of chisels, I was wondering why you really needed any more and why you necessarily needed to spend a lot of money on some? I'm certainly no expert but I'm genuinely curious :)

Good question, I'll explain. I used to buy old tools and use them or try to as im a learner, im starting courses and then next year going to do joinery, and want a few very good chisels to be proud of, and not a mash of miscellaneous chisels, its me being silly because if they work who gives a damm, I've made up my mind tho on this subject and just going to but 4 nice once for good work and have a few for ruff work (as they say) gona have to flattern and sharpen them all :( owell give me a chance to try out my many stones and Veritas mk2 should be a fun (long) day :)

Going with Ashley iles chisels just to clarify :p

Ashley Iles chisels will serve you well I'm sure. I have some of their pole lathe turning tools, and they are fine.

Just in a last ditch attempt to muddy the waters, I see that Toolpost have a great price (~£35+VAT) on Hamlet Craft tools
set of 4 bevel edged chisels. Hamlet are owned by Henry Taylor, made in Sheffield ( :D ) and quite respectable.

That's a very respectable price for a set of Chisels made in Sheffield - £10 a pop. Anyone seen one of these Hamlets?
BTW I have a set of 4 Ashley Iles Mk II's and you certainly can't complain about their finish/accuracy. What exactly would a LN chisel do that an AI's can't? Just asking.

Correction, actually £39.28+VAT, just checked. I have one, 1/8". Quite a chunky handle in a dark stained beech. Seems good steel.

Thanks TT, so it's aesthetic more than anything else, it's not unreasonable :) I'm buying a real mallet this week for the same reason because the lump of soft white wood I've been using looks like a lump of wood and not a hammer.

Reggie":167i04ok said:
Thanks TT, so it's aesthetic more than anything else, it's not unreasonable :) I'm buying a real mallet this week for the same reason because the lump of soft white wood I've been using looks like a lump of wood and not a hammer.

That's the one, I've emailed who I think is the wife because if I order from factory they are cheaper or so I read in a post on this forum from 2004/07 so were c what happens if not then I'll order then next week :)
Mallet, mine looks a bit beaten up 2 :/

tobytools":1p8vdv3r said:
Reggie":1p8vdv3r said:

Good question, I'll explain. I used to buy old tools and use them or try to as im a learner, im starting courses and then next year going to do joinery, and want a few very good chisels to be proud of, and not a mash of miscellaneous chisels, its me being silly because if they work who gives a damm, I've made up my mind tho on this subject and just going to but 4 nice once for good work and have a few for ruff work (as they say) gona have to flattern and sharpen them all :( owell give me a chance to try out my many stones and Veritas mk2 should be a fun (long) day :)

Going with Ashley iles chisels just to clarify :p
You don't need to flatten chisels, it's just a weird fad on the amateur woodwork scene - some . somewhere has said it has to be done and everybody follows suit with their brains off! If you do flatten them this actually makes them harder to sharpen in the future as they tend to be ground slightly hollow on the faces which makes sharpening easier, a bit like Jap chisels but less obvious.
If you can't sharpen them ready for use in just a few minutes they are faulty and should be sent back. What's the point of paying all that money for chisels which aren't finished?

Jacob":35mohy7d said:
You don't need to flatten chisels, it's just a weird fad on the amateur woodwork scene - some . somewhere has said it has to be done and everybody follows suit with their brains off!

Prats like Paul Sellers:

"The reverse, (large flat surface) of my edge tools such as chisels, planes, spokeshaves and so on are lapped flat and then polished through refining stages to a mirror finish."

BugBear

Cue link to manuscript from 1437 showing pictures of english craftsmen flattening the backs of their plane blades.....

It's like déjà vu all over again!

Shall we just stop now while we are all still friends?

Latest posts

Back