looking for a chisel set, what should i get

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oddly 1/2 of the Irwin pull saws bear some remarkable resemblance to Japanese saws.

Thanks G, I'll keep that jack in mind when I get around to needing one :)

riclepp":240odv6n said:
....... I have just bought the Mk2 BE set of 11 cabinet Makers chisels. I am still polishing the backs, ....
What for? It doesn't do anything useful it's just a fad. Seems a pity to buzz about unnecessarily with nice new expensive chisels.

Jacob":3ofq3mfy said:
riclepp":3ofq3mfy said:
....... I have just bought the Mk2 BE set of 11 cabinet Makers chisels. I am still polishing the backs, ....
What for? It doesn't do anything useful it's just a fad. Seems a pity to buzz about unnecessarily with nice new expensive chisels.

Because that is how I have been taught and also my father taught me. Jacob, get yer head out of the clouds. Lets not go around in circles again, everyone has their own way and with this is mind, please respect it. I havent yet critisied how you prep or not your tools. Please, for once in you sad little life, add something useful to the forum, if not sod off. This may be the reason why you was kicked from one of the other forums as you just keep antagonising other forum members

riclepp":2p6g07zq said:
Jacob":2p6g07zq said:
riclepp":2p6g07zq said:

Because that is how I have been taught and also my father taught me. Jacob, get yer head out of the clouds. Lets not go around in circles again, everyone has their own way and with this is mind, please respect it. I havent yet critisied how you prep or not your tools. Please, for once in you sad little life, add something useful to the forum, if not sod off. This may be the reason why you was kicked from one of the other forums as you just keep antagonising other forum members
OK so you don't really know why you do it? :lol: :lol:

OK so you don't really know why you do it? :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Errr, yes I do thank you vey much. It helps with visulisation of a knife mark or pencil mark. Gets rid of the fine grinding marks that are left after the factoy has finished with it and allows a closer attachment between the wood and chisel. But then again, you know everything and that us mere mortals should bow to your superior knowledge should'nt we.

riclepp":34d8194n said:
OK so you don't really know why you do it? :lol: :lol:

Errr, yes I do thank you vey much. It helps with visulisation of a knife mark or pencil mark. Gets rid of the fine grinding marks that are left after the factoy has finished with it and allows a closer attachment between the wood and chisel. But then again, you know everything and that us mere mortals should bow to your superior knowledge should'nt we.
It's just that I'm interested in these ritualistic belief systems and how they intrude into even the simple world of woodwork. I didn't realise they were there until I started enquiring into how things should be done, and why, for my own information.

So then who taught you, who taught the person who taught him/her. This can and has gone around in circles on this and other forums. My Father was taught this method in his 7 year apprentiship back in the 40s after WW2., and he showed me and then I was retaught this again last year with Peter Sefton,. As I am used to this method and is easy for me to do I am happy to use it and will do for a long time. But the important point here is that it works for me, but it might not work for others and it is their choice as to what method they use. As you have yours and you stand by it. The same would go for sharpening saws a other issues we could get bogged down in. Another important point is to advise new starters to this wonderful world of cabinet Making or joinery or whatever they want to do with wood on what way that they can sharpen thier tools by and the pro's and con's, but hopefully not ramming a particular method down their throats and say this is the only way to do it. For them to reach a balanced and well informed decision they need facts and not speculation or opinon is what is important. Each and every method will have pros and cons, but thats life. As man's knowledge increases (some may say decreases) ways of doing things change some for good and some for the worse. Some old methods will stand the test of time and some won't. I have used oil stones and proberly will in the future I suspect, but that is my choice and not some dictate by someone else.

I am sure Jacob, you have a valuable wealth of knowledge and wisdom, but please just stop telling people that method x is the only way of doing it and all the rest are pants and should'nt be touched with a bargepole. Let people make their own mind up, give knowldge yes, dictate no.

Riclepp. I bought 4 AI MkII chisels not long after they were first produced. I don't understand your comment 'I'm still polishing the backs'. All I had to do was sharpen them. The Backs just needed a quick few swipes on the finest stone, more to remove the burr than actually polishing them. That was the whole point of the MKII's - so accurately made (with the backs slightly hollow) that all you really need to do is a quick few swipes. It's only the last 0.5 mm's (or less) that matters anyway. In time the mirror finish has crept further up the back of the chisels but that's just with repeated sharpening.

MIGNAL":2b0hcoeu said:
Riclepp. I bought 4 AI MkII chisels not long after they were first produced. I don't understand your comment 'I'm still polishing the backs'. All I had to do was sharpen them. The Backs just needed a quick few swipes on the finest stone, more to remove the burr than actually polishing them. That was the whole point of the MKII's - so accurately made (with the backs slightly hollow) that all you really need to do is a quick few swipes. It's only the last 0.5 mm's (or less) that matters anyway. In time the mirror finish has crept further up the back of the chisels but that's just with repeated sharpening.

I got 11 to do, not still polishing one back of one chisel. And yes I agree it dose'nt take long, but work and what the wife wants me to do, it is taking a long time.

riclepp":3eoxp4ze said:
I am sure Jacob, you have a valuable wealth of knowledge and wisdom, but please just stop telling people that method x is the only way of doing it and all the rest are pants and should'nt be touched with a bargepole. Let people make their own mind up, give knowldge yes, dictate no.
Not telling, just asking and discussing.
I agree with Mignal. 12 new good quality chisels = 12 minutes enough for the first honing, if that. Only an opinion - I could be wrong!

You missed the part where he said that be hasnt had the time yet to finish what he started as he had other things to do.

I'm the same sometimes I can only get in a few minutes here and there with everything else that goes on.

Riclep, your a lucky man, I have a severe case of chisel envy! And of course prep as you wish, they are your chisels after all. Mignal has made the point I was going to, that these ones are made with a slight hollow I think too avoid the need to lap. But of course prepare as you wish.

Jacob":ezi61qgo said:
riclepp":ezi61qgo said:
Not telling, just asking and discussing.
I agree with Mignal. 12 new good quality chisels = 12 minutes enough for the first honing, if that. Only an opinion - I could be wrong!

Not too sure where you got the twelve from Jacob, there is only eleven in the set. Unloess you know something that I dont :wink:

http://www.ashleyilestoolstore.co.uk/in ... Path=50_51

I think that, in all the discussion in this thread so far, that something else has been missed. And I also think it boils down to what 'kind' of woodworker you are, and your reasons for putting a sharp edge to a piece of wood.
If you are someone who earns their living from producing as many joints/holes etc as quickly and efficiently as they can, then perhaps the cheaper end of the market is ideal, as quickly sharpening an edge is unlikely to add too much time to your work (unless it is truly dreadful steel that blunts when it looks at wood), and a tool that 'just does the job' is all you may require.
However, if, like me, you are purely a hobbyist with no aspiration of efficiency of time (and with the good fortune to be able to finance said hobby), then there is pleasure itself in the use of fine tools, and the preparation thereof. I am supremely fortunate to have a range of Blue Spruce chisels, both DT and bench, and a couple of Wenzloffs. I know I am at the lower end of the skill slope, and may invite ridicule from certain corners for my collection of tools, but I get pleasure from using these tools, which were my version of a diamond ring when my wife and I got engaged. (I think I got the better deal, by the way). I get pleasure from knowing that they are approaching the pinnacle of toolmakers craft and that I am using them. I will be 40 in a couple of years, and am hankering after a Conrad Sauer plane to celebrate this milestone :). These tools inspire the user to do finer and finer work, in the way that Aldi tools, however perfectly usable they may be, do not.
I think a good analogy is the drinking of wine. A nice crystal glass changes not one iota the flavour of the wine contained within, but it feels so much nicer to drink a fine Bordeaux from such a glass than a pottery mug. If there is no other container available, then so be it. But why settle for 'good enough'? Why not aim for 'as good as can be'?

Apologies for the rambling nonsense above,
Adam
Criticising people

=D> =D> I enjoy working with beautiful tools, just as I enjoy cooking using beautiful knives, and riding beautiful motorcycles. It encourages me to do better. I do not need to justify this to anyone. :D :D
Find what floats your boat and sod everyone else!

Kalimna":1sssgsvp said:
I think that, in all the discussion in this thread so far, that something else has been missed. And I also think it boils down to what 'kind' of woodworker you are, and your reasons for putting a sharp edge to a piece of wood.
If you are someone who earns their living from producing as many joints/holes etc as quickly and efficiently as they can, then perhaps the cheaper end of the market is ideal, as quickly sharpening an edge is unlikely to add too much time to your work (unless it is truly dreadful steel that blunts when it looks at wood), and a tool that 'just does the job' is all you may require.
However, if, like me, you are purely a hobbyist with no aspiration of efficiency of time (and with the good fortune to be able to finance said hobby), then there is pleasure itself in the use of fine tools, and the preparation thereof. I am supremely fortunate to have a range of Blue Spruce chisels, both DT and bench, and a couple of Wenzloffs. I know I am at the lower end of the skill slope, and may invite ridicule from certain corners for my collection of tools, but I get pleasure from using these tools, which were my version of a diamond ring when my wife and I got engaged. (I think I got the better deal, by the way). I get pleasure from knowing that they are approaching the pinnacle of toolmakers craft and that I am using them. I will be 40 in a couple of years, and am hankering after a Conrad Sauer plane to celebrate this milestone :). These tools inspire the user to do finer and finer work, in the way that Aldi tools, however perfectly usable they may be, do not.
I think a good analogy is the drinking of wine. A nice crystal glass changes not one iota the flavour of the wine contained within, but it feels so much nicer to drink a fine Bordeaux from such a glass than a pottery mug. If there is no other container available, then so be it. But why settle for 'good enough'? Why not aim for 'as good as can be'?

Apologies for the rambling nonsense above,
Adam
Criticising people

Well said Adam,

Kalimna":1sxu0p8x said:
...but I get pleasure from using these tools, which were my version of a diamond ring when my wife and I got engaged. (I think I got the better deal, by the way).
What? The wife or the tools... (you mean she got the lesser deal in marrying you?) :mrgreen:

I'll get me coat...

Cheers, Vann.

Latest posts

Back