Kity 613 bandsaw retiring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,

Thank you for your reply.

After looking at this for a few days, I think the tire is probably better being replaced. I think if I go for the retiring option, hopefully it should be good and a solid solution for a good many years to come.

I am worried if I go for a band option, I am not sure if it will set well with the top wheel.

I think the best option in the long run is to take the hit on the retiring. I am still getting a very good bandsaw, for just over roughly £200.

The easiest way would be to undo the bolts holding on the shaft and take the whole lot out. You'd probably need a bearing puller after that.
However, undoing those bolts can lead to disaster. If they do not go back to exactly the same position, you run the risk of upsetting the East-West balance of the wheel, after which the blade won't stay on. They are factory set and do not normally need to be changed.
Personally I'd retyre the wheels in situ.
Steve

Steve, I am looking to get a third party to do the re tyre, so in situ is not an option.

I have now taken the wheel off! Thank you for your advice.

Essentially at the back are six screws, I undo these and the green housing around the motor comes off (picture 1).

Then there is a central bolt, take this and you have four bolts that balance the wheel. Unscrew a few and the whole wheel comes out the front. No need to remove and clips (like I had).

Attachments

• 20130725_172329.jpg
    20130725_172329.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 3,025
  • 20130725_173317.jpg
    20130725_173317.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 3,026
  • 20130725_172345.jpg
    20130725_172345.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 3,026
  • 20130725_172412.jpg
    20130725_172412.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 3,025
  • 20130725_173339.jpg
    20130725_173339.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 3,024
I really am getting bored of this now!!

Every company that I contact except for the one in Wales (and very expensive) are providing the band solution which they stick down.

None, actually create a new rubber wheel!

If any one live in East Devon and interested in a bandsaw to repair give me a shout.

The guys who frequent this forum seem to retyre and crown their own band saws all the time. I would ask them. Most of them live in the USA or Canada but I think they at least know what the solution looks like:

http://www.owwm.org/viewforum.php?f=1&s ... 951a960697

The world is full of damned salesmen who try to sell new machines to people who are looking for spare parts. Search search search and I am sure you will find a solution to it. I have repaired many tools and machines that were "damaged beyond repair" and found many "obsolete" spare parts on the shelves of another dealer. It is equally frustrating every time when salesman after salesman tell me the same lies and then tell me scrap it and to take a loan and buy something that I cannot afford.
Just keep searching and I am sure you will find what you are looking for!

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply, I am keeping my options open still.

I have been told by one company, that I can buy the following : 4 off 1.4mtr strips x 25mm wide x 5mmthk BA80 Nitrile. Which is the same size as the existing tyre, which I think should work better than a band tyre.

Just need to figure out how to glue it on. I shall check out the link you've sent, it sounds like it should help.

If it helps any one, the company I have been in touch with is http://www.martins-rubber.co.uk.

I have been told that martin rubber can offer two types of tyres - hard neoprene or nitrile, any idea which one would match my existing tyre?

I had exactly the same issues as you when trying to get my bandsaw wheels re-tyred.

In the end I popped up to Axminster, found a bandsaw with the same size wheel (a Jet machine) and bingo the tyres were a perfect fit. They didn't have a pair in stock but delivered them next day to my door. £12ish I seem to recall all in.

They run very well indeed. I cut the old ones off (they were practically falling off anyway) and stretched the new ones over. Didnt use any adhesive or any fancy stuff, just put them on as is.

They dont slip, run perfectly and I couldnt be happier. I was ready to ebay the thing and buy a new one, but this worked a treat.

got to be worth a try before jetting them off and paying £70 to have them re-tyred?

HTH

I tried Axminster, none of their bandsaw work out to be the same size. They were very helpful though.

I would pay the £70 to get the saw re tired, but you need to look at the fact that you need to pay for the wheel to get to them both ways, plus the VAT. So a lot more than £70!

I was never that sure about them, good find though. I have contacted the seller to see if the dimensions are correct. Also, contacted a whole bunch of people who have bought the product to see they have any advice.

Another avenue I saw was a seller on Amazon selling

"neoprene rubber self adhesive strip 25mm wide x 5mm thick x 10m long"

Which may also be worth a punt.

By the time I have finished my investigation, I will hopefully be able to help other on this.

A bit of an update - I purchased a rubber kit from delta rubber.

http://www.rubber-strip.co.uk/index.php ... uct_id=543

The kit comes with 5 meters of rubber at the correct thickness and width. Comes with contact glue, a spreader and a grit block. So the price seemed right and seemed like every thing I needed!

It took me two attempts, but I have a fairly good firm rubber tyre now on my wheel. Not perfect, but should hopefully work.

I turned down the other options:

1. American tyres, as using these would mean I had to take off the other tyre and I have heard mixed reports from ebay users on the lasting solution. Also, I would need to glue the band down any way!
2. Paying a company to re tyre the wheel, it was hard to know the exact process of the re tyring, the cost was huge and it would have meant sending the complete wheel away.

My next struggle is getting the wheel back on the bandsaw and centred correctly!

I have loosened the four bolts around the motor to loosen the band, the next stage is to get the wheel re centred and spinning again freely!

Did you make up a tyre using the kit, then fit the tyre to the wheel, or did you glue the strip directly to the wheel and then trim it when you got to the join again?

I attached the rubber directly to the wheel using the contact adhesive, no trimming needed. I had taken off the old rubber

Tracking is rubbish, I think I have came to the conclusion that the wheels are not aligned. So need to work out that one.

I think the biggest lesson is to be careful what you buy on ebay, buying from members directly seems to work better!

I found this post from the seller of the band saw - kity-613-bandsaw-help-please-t60737.html

I wish I had seen this before I had bought! It now makes sense that the lower wheels trye was damaged because the wheels were not aligned!

********* EDIT ************

I have spoken to the seller again, and should point out he is a lovely bloke. He confirmed he was following the set up procedures detailed in Steve Maskery's Bandsaw DVD and just went through all the steps he outlined.

I do not want to speak bad of the seller, so added this update.

********* EIDT ***********

Seems to me you need to start from first principles:
Wheel alignment WRT frame and twist
Right blade for the job
Tension
Guide adjustment
Tracking

Steve

True Steve, and thank you.

Currently there is a large difference between the upper and lower wheel. I am going to try and take the top wheel off and either adjust the position or add shims behind to adjust the position. Just not sure yet what is possible.

Back