Kity 613 bandsaw - changing tyres and about to give up!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a secondhand Kity 613 bandsaw a few months ago. After I'd used it for a few weeks I could see the tyres had perished and I removed and cleaned the wheels to remove the residue. I ordered two new Kity 613 tyres from Bedford Saws but no matter how long I leave them in hot water, used spring clamps to hold them in place etc, I cannot get the tyres to stretch to fit onto the wheel. I checked and they are 24mm tyres and are for the Kity 613. I'm tempted to give up and sell the bandsaw and buy a bigger one, but I wanted one last go at getting the tyres on. Any ideas or suggestions before I give up and list it for sale?

Thanks

I have done this on a bigger saw and yes its not easy. The method I used is hard to explain. I had a piece of bar to fit the bearing exactly. Clamp that bar in a vice. The wheel should be able to rotate at 90 degrees to the vice jaws. Once set up warm the tyre and using a plastic clamp put part of the tyre on the wheel and clamp in place, then lock the wheel from rotating and stretch the tyre as much as you can and put a second clamp on. Then rotate wheel, lock and stretch again and put third clamp on, should be able to release second clamp. Now stretch again and clamp again. You should now have enough slack to slide last bit of tyre over. Rigid vice and bench and fair amount of effort required.

Should have said you will need to remove wheels which if I remember on a kity will be needle bearings and probably gummed up in the lower one anyway so a chance to clean them out as well

Wheel off and a bolt or steel bar crosswise under the tyre to give you something to heave on.
A punch of quick grip clamps to pinch down on the wheel rim sideways every 6 or 8 inches to stop the tyre sliding off as you work your way round.
If it's that tight, at least you may not need to glue the tyre on. Imagine having to fit it in 2 minutes flat, no mistakes, no second chances after you've applied glue to the rim and sprayed on the activator

Thanks all - going to work out how to tale the wheel off next! Still tempted to put it in the for sale section and go for something bigger. Sold my Record Power BS500 about 18 months ago and now massively regret it!

I have used a similar technique but just using a short bar in a handle, actually a home made tool for fitting car brake springs. It's about 8mm diameter and maybe 80 long with a wooden file handle. Just slip a penny washer over it to keep the tyre in place. The hole in the washer wants to be big enough so it is able to sit at a bit of an angle to the shaft. Tie the tyre on like he shows then insert the bar and pull it round the wheel with the bar laying flat on the wheel and at right angles to it. Very important you don't lever the tool at all, do that and you can bruise the wheel rim or even bend it out of true. Depending on how tight it is you might find it useful to have someone hold the wheel while you pull the tool. The tyre will be guided into the bar by the washer, then follow it onto the rim. No need to take the wheel off. Using a drill is an interesting idea, shall have to try that next time I change one. Can't remember who showed me this trick, but it does work.

Very innovative, but why did the bits of string have to be 16-3/8" long. 🥳

Rob_H,
Stick with it! I have had my Kitty 613 from new (more than 20 years ago) and it has been a great bandsaw. Hope I am not tempting fate!

Perhaps I could use that same technique for car tyres ;)

Seriously, I love those sorts of videos - done by somebody who has so many years of experience in life - and not just some idea lifted from a text book - and a little bit of character added in for good measure.

I also have a 613 - inherited from my dad. I'm guessing that it must be the best part of 40 years old and has immaculate tyres.

Sold the Kity inn the end. Bought an Axminster table saw and going to upgrade to a bigger Axminster bandsaw similar to the Record Power BS500 I sold last year (wish I hadn't!!)

I've read that boiling water might not suit every kind of tire before, though I've not seen
clarification on what synthetic rubber compound that might be, or infact if I could get the answer from the manufacturer,
Or even if I'd be able to distinguish one synthetic rubber band from another, same goes for the urethane ones, should those flavours be of differing quality...

and it's very possible you won't get instructions either, I didn't get any info for the 600mm tire I
bought, and I'm speculative whether it's made for a 500mm wheel TBH, as it's not that flexible looking.

Tom

Back