Kity 613 bandsaw help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a Kity 613 bandsaw and replaced the blade. It seemed to be ok and I cut a piece of a small cherry log I had stored for ages and some resin seemed to come out and cover the blade. When I checked the wheels they are extremely sticky and I can’t get it off and it’s been about a month. The top wheel doesn’t have a rubber tyre - not a rubber one anyway - on it and the bottom tyre is worn in places. How can I remove the rubber tyre as it seems to be stuck to the wheel and not sure if the top wheel is right. It has a grey thick surface on the wheel. Not sure what material is and if it then should have a rubber tyre on it. It ran ok for a while but the blade now wobbles and jumps off. I have watched loads of videos and spend ages tensioning and thought I had it ok and it worked fine for a short while but jumps off again

Well I finally thought that a member had asked a question that I could help with. I have a Kity 613 but I dont fully understand your question.

Perhaps I wasn’t clear. There is no black rubber tyre on the top wheel. Should it have one? On the bottom wheel there appears to be something of a rubber tyre but worn but it is stuck to the wheel and won’t come off. How would I remove it, please?

Theres another possibility..... the tyre may have disintegrated and turned to mush ( i bought one like that )
I bought replacement tyres from a company near exmouth? Bandsawparts.co.uk

You want the 4.8mm ones.

But white spirit or acetone should clean up most types of gunk.

Thanks should there be tyres on both wheels?

The only bandsaws which run without tires are huge resaws that take blades a few inches wide
i.e 2 or 3" wide bands at the least.

Seeing as you are likely new to bandsaws ...well small ones anyways
just worth noting that the set of the blade is likely compressed, (won't cut straight)
especially so if you clicked the first video you may have seen on the subject.

The Kity is a flat tired machine, and I suppose its very possible it ran with blade teeth off the wheels
and your blade set be fine, provided the previous user setup the machine as intended
i.e no crown or what one could say the antisnodgrass method
The guides will tell you the answer to that, whether the thrust guide let the teeth come in contact with the wheels or not.
That's not to say that you can't ruin a blade in a multitude of other ways,
and is normal practice to suspect the blade, suspect the next one, and the next one after that!

Plenty of folks here with your machine, should you find an antisnodgrasser using one (without good reason to want for crowned tires, which isn't unreasonable if one uses theirs for curves mainly.)
It's a differing setup using flat tires to 90% of all videos you might see,
i.e tension makes a difference where the blade will track,
compared to crowned tires/wheels where you see folks tracking the blade whilst partially tensioned, as the blade will stay put on the crown.

Flat tires IMO makes better use of the beam tension and more suited to ripping or resawing,
but at the expense of a more observant setup needed,
i.e keeping an eye on tire wear, should one be cutting curves
keeping tires and blade clean, and better initial setup in the first place, as tracking blades off the edge will make any misalignment a lot more apparent compared to the crowned flavour.

Good luck
Tom

Theres another possibility..... the tyre may have disintegrated and turned to mush ( i bought one like that )
I bought replacement tyres from a company near exmouth? Bandsawparts.co.uk

You want the 4.8mm ones.

But white spirit or acetone should clean up most types of gunk.
is the tyre a straight length or is it circular please

Circular is better on smaller saws at least.
If you use a strip of rubber and wrap it, there's more risk of the tyre starting to peel from the join.
Serious industrial bandsaws may have to be done that way (anyone ?).

Fitting a tyre is a fiddly job in my limited experience.
The tyre needs to be stretched onto the wheel.
You don't really want the tension to be much different around the wheel (think how elastic bands are tight one place and not the other when you stretch them around things).
But typical glues for tyres are contact adhesives or the clever loctite stuff with a spray activator all of which grab very quickly. I found it helps to have a second pair of hands on the day.

If someone here is good at this, maybe they'll offer some advice.

This is by far the easiest way, forget everything else. I did mine in minutes.

The tyres are circles, got mine from bandsawparts.co .uk i think. They were in sidmouth ( posted )

This is a 613 original tyre with little wear.
You can see it was actually glued to the wheel before it was painted in the factory.
50730-image.jpeg

Back