Kity 613 bandsaw retiring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainpk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought the above bandsaw from ebay, in great nick except the bottom wheel rubber has worn in one area.

I have seen old threads on this, what is the general consensus these days on the best way to fix problem locally in the UK?

I found these on the web, http://www.allbandsawblades.com/urethane_tires.htm any good and would they work on my saw?

Hate replying to my own thread, but.....

My friend suggested using a product called sugru, (https://sugru.com) since I only have a small patch to fill it may work!

Can any one see any flaws in this idea?

Thank you Steve, I made a first attempt, will see how it sets (24 hours) and will then sand it down lightly.

Attachments

• 20130722_142541.jpg
    20130722_142541.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 2,134
OK. but I'm not sure how well it will sand. I'll be interested to see how you go on with this, becasue if it does work out well it would be a good fix for many people.

Just looking at that photo, is that white ring on the tyre just dirt or is it a groove worn by a narrow blade? If the former, clean it all off, if the latter, get a new tyre.
S

Steve, I think it looks worse in the picture than actually is.

I am interested to see how it sets, the end result still may be a new tyre!

UPDATED, I ran the saw for a few cuts and the fix, fell off! Gutted.

Back to the drawing board!

Some other information NMA and Axminster, do not offer any services that can help.

I am half tempted, to cut my loses and sell on the saw to be honest. It could turn out to be out of my budget, of what I wanted to spend under £200!

Don't panic, Mr. Mainwaring!
OK so the cheap fix didn't work. It's a pity but it's happened.

Whilst I've set up a fair few bandsaws in my time I've never had to change the tyres, so I don't claim to be a tyre expert, but this has to be fixable.

What make is the bandsaw? That may give us a better idea of how much attention this deserves.
S

It's a Kity, model 613.

A nice machine by all accounts - well made.

Attachments

• Kity613.JPG
    Kity613.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 2,070
That looks very like my Elu which is the same as the Dewalt that someone in another thread got new tyres from Axminster for £3 each.

What is the diametre of the wheels? Compare them with a model that Axminster do sell and see if you can get some that fit.

Don't sell it as it's a nice saw, it was what I was looking for before I got the Elu.

Mick

I looked at my neighbours Axminster bandsaw and the tire (band) was not fixed to the wheel.

On my bandsaw the tire seems to be a lot thicker and stuck down, if that makes sense.

That is worth fixing.
Even if you have to buy a new pair of wheels, it's worht fixing. My guess is that you just need new tyres, a new blade form Tuffsaws and a good setup :)
Do it.
S

The previous seller always used tuffsaw blades (got two new ones in the sale and one in good nick), and in fact Ian from Tuffsaws has been trying to help me out with the retiring. Top bloke.

So, safe to say all my blades will be coming from Tuffsaw : )

Will ask around at my woodcarving group tomorrow night and I have a few other contacts I will try and ask. Will report back when I have something.

The main point now, is I would prefer to have some where local in Devon. So, I avoid the postage costs. Hopefully would be able to strike a deal and get both wheels done at once.

The specs for the bandsaw: http://www.dbkeighley.co.uk/masters/kitty613.htm

It appears to have a 10.5 inch wheels.

i think my two options are:

1, Pay some one to revulcanise the wheels, hopefully they crown the wheels ready for use, so the wheels do not need to be reset. My worry is getting the wheels off and then making sure they are safely posted. I wondering also if it is better to do both at once to make sure they are the same size. I will contact a couple of companies tomorrow to try and find out the procedures and the costs.
2, Cork or use something similar to patch repair the wheel.

Another suggestion I have been given by a school workshop technician:

"He says silicon should do it. But he says you get a silicon primer/glue which helps it stick even better than normal, and obviously clean it off as well as you can. Once the silicon is on, cling film over the top may help to shape it correctly."

I am surprised the Sugru didn't work, are you sure the surface was clean when you tried it? Also put unopened packets in the fridge to ensure a long shelf life.

I think the contact was not great. At the high revolution of the saw; it probably just vibrated off.

Some prices:

dbkeighley - £70 + VAT + roughly £10 postage each way per wheel.
http://www.recoverrollers.co.uk/ £120 per wheel + VAt.

Phoned a couple of the local saw mills, they have said they all use a company called EPS.

http://www.eps-services.co.uk/

The company picks the wheel up (SW only I think!), inspects and quotes a price for re tiring, would be in the same ball park as the dbkeighley company but no postage.

Has any one used EPS before?

Just need to work out how to get the silly wheel off now!

Have removed the clip, but it's not budging.

Hello,

The Kity 613 doesn't use crowned tyres, they are flat and the teeth of the blade should run off the front of the wheel. In this case, could there be a rubber strip available to do a DIY repair.

Incidentally, I think the specs from Keighley are incorrect, 315mm is 12 .5 inch diameter wheels.

Mike.

Back