Hi new to the group my first post of some accoya windows I've made. Any advice on best paint for spraying would be good.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Stephenson

Reaction score
10d19989-b00f-4da5-a5f4-5358987b44b8.jpg

Not tried the Mighton stuff yet but I have a can of the undercoat to try.
Morrells Omnia is fine, Sikkens or Teknos do an Accoya specific system I forget which one off the top of my head.
For most you will need an airless or air assisted airless sprayer like a kremlin.

Thanks for that I'll look into it 👍
Ive done a few jobs with it, it seems pretty good, dries nice and flat

Ive plenty of experience with joinery paints having used Teknos, Sigma and Remmers over the last 20 or so years

bear in mind these joinery paints are water based and they take time to cross link -you should be fine at this time of year but spraying in winter is a major problem for lots of small joinery businesses that dont have properly heated paint shops

Paint will last longest externally if the detailing of the joinery is done correctly: joints have a V which is sealed with filler, the design avoids water traps and all external edges have a 2 to 3mm radius. Less of an issue in accoya, but it still moves a bit.

Ive done a few jobs with it, it seems pretty good, dries nice and flat

Ive plenty of experience with joinery paints having used Teknos, Sigma and Remmers over the last 20 or so years

bear in mind these joinery paints are water based and they take time to cross link -you should be fine at this time of year but spraying in winter is a major problem for lots of small joinery businesses that dont have properly heated paint shops

Paint will last longest externally if the detailing of the joinery is done correctly: joints have a V which is sealed with filler, the design avoids water traps and all external edges have a 2 to 3mm radius. Less of an issue in accoya, but it still moves a bit.
That's good advice thanks . Is the mighton paint thinner than teknos? I've been told my sprayer won't cope with teknos. It's a Wagner 250m airless.
Thanks again

That's good advice thanks . Is the mighton paint thinner than teknos? I've been told my sprayer won't cope with teknos. It's a Wagner 250m airless.
Thanks again
I would say they are similar, like emulsion paint for walls

I’m surprised the Wagner wouldn’t cope with Teknos, it’s supposed to be ok for emulsion

A friend has sprayed the paint ok with a graco ultra max cordless sprayer with decent results
If it struggles you can thin it a bit.

I always did 1 prime coat, de nib with 320g pads, then 2 top coats, allowing drying in between.

Air movement helps with drying so a fan is a good idea

Thanks again
I found the Teknos I used ( supplied by client ) was like jelly, it sprayed out ok but was virtually impossible to spray without orange peel.
Can you change the tip size in your machine?
The morrells Omnia goes on much nicer, it is much more liquid and flows out well for less orange peel issues.
I have had good results with Tikurilla paints as well, the Otex primer is great.

Thanks I've used teknos before where they had a industrial sprayer and like you say it's like jelly. Very good paint if you can get it on.ill look into the ones you suggested 👍

Since I live on the other side of the world I don't know anything about your paints but I do know some beautifully built window frames when I see them. Truly lovely work.👍

Latest posts

Back