Jigsaw (suggest a)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on your new Festool Pete. You must live on a building site or have a transformer sat in the shed:)

Pete, I think I'm slowly getting used to Metabo (not the Hitachi bought out version), especially since they're still made in Germany (so no sign of abused Uigher labour there) and it appears they've got alot of though lt in their products (as have the others like Festool etc) without being crazy silly prices...

I looked at the jigsaw I already have (lovely bit of kit, or did I already say that). One of the ones made in Japan it seems. 135mm cutting into wood and always seemed to give me (and my dad) straight cuts. 720w 4340ct Makita.

Now I don't think I've 3ver used it for anything bigger than 40mm but then I've probably never bought blades much bigger than 78mm either so...

Bearing in mind it'll (also, maybe) be my pallet cutting saw (just kidding... how could you lol) and general do it all bit of kit. I've got my shed to make - well, the joists and timber frame inside for cladding around as I've decided it's gonna be reclaimed brick - and currently working in the loft strengthening up some joists with reclaimed timber (builder was a bit useless but ok-ish).

Here's my choices as I'm definitely gonna slowly make the switch to German made Metabo.

Metabo STA18LTX 140 STA18 LTX 140 Body Grip Jigsaw Kit 2 x 4.0Ah Body Grip maybe a bit overkill but I'm only spending another £50 for the extra 40mm plunge depth/power. Also, doesn't say it comes with a DynaCase whatever that is. Bearing in mind that one of the other reasons for not ever wanting a circular saw is that big ugly box you'd have to carry it in. ;-)

Or this beauty and again it's a massive leap away from trigger switch saws but seems it's popular advice to make the switch. Seems to come with a dynacase but only a plunge depth of about 100mm. Advantage being it might bw slightly smaller and lighter. Saving myself £40 or whatnot.

Actually.. delete all that as the 100 doesn't seem to come with the metabox. This does though:

https://ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Metab...b6izr&exp_slugs=7sb6izr&tmcv=102&tmcs=jg7y2ng
Alternately (hoping this works) this is my roundup but I do need a full set including batteries. Hopefully the link works. Will be bought on 4 months interwst free to make things a bit lighter and hoping to sell some other kit later to make room..

https://ffx.co.uk/Search/Refine/_K=jigsaw_STCKO=0_B=Metabo_S=7
Ta very much again..

Shafiq

Thanks Phil. Not bought yet but will be moving across to Metabo for most of my DIY needs. I'd thought about a transformer from ebay before but recall how heavy and inconvenient my last one was (home DIYer with kit above my skills-grade 😆).

So yeah, I think Metabo still and might even do that coin test with it mentioned earlier with the Mafell 🤓🤔

Thanks Fixit45. I was set on Bosch aswell but it appears that they're (blue) made in China. I'm trying my best (with some success) to stay away from China manufacturing until they can get a grip on tgeir human rights record and close the Uigher concentration camps etc etc

Hence why I'd finally settled on Metabo and hoping they'll walk the talk..

Thanks Fixit45. I was set on Bosch aswell but it appears that they're (blue) made in China. I'm trying my best (with some success) to stay away from China manufacturing until they can get a grip on tgeir human rights record and close the Uigher concentration camps etc etc

Hence why I'd finally settled on Metabo and hoping they'll walk the talk..
Ok but I am still using older ones that I have had since 2000. In total I have 4 altogether. Believe me when they are used to cut old window frames out they are the only ones to stand up to the abuse and come back for more.

I'd thought about a transformer from ebay before but recall how heavy and inconvenient my last one was (home DIYer with kit above my skills-grade
Don't overlook the safety aspect, 55 volts will not kill you, it might if you were naked and standing in a puddle but there are not many woodworkers who use zero PPE.

When you look at Jigsaws they are all basically the same, being either D handle or body grip but all using the same type of blades with that roller support behind the blade and an adjustable pendulum action. This Mafell is different, no roller guide and a blade that is twice the thickness of a standard jigsaw blade but it is just an expensive tool for cutting curves, even if they are square. We have other tools for straight cuts and because I have not managed a decent square cut with my jig saw I now cut clear of the line and finish with a template and router which gives a perfect finish and square cut. I do remember @JobandKnock having or using one, maybe if he is listening he could shed some extra info.

I always thought tha jigsaws were for rough cutting stuff that you’d finish properly with another tool. Then for one job a few years ago, I thought i’d buy a festool one, and went all in and bought the package with all the gadgets. So I learned the expensive way that they are just for rough cutting! I rarely use it.

Briefly today I looked at circular and sliding mitre saws. Then I got scared of the price, ripping my limbs off (circular) and/or portability (Bosch sliding mitre). Earlier before that I realised that maybe the current blade in my Makita looked a but off centre so got the square to it. It was (slightly).

Then my mind came back to the Mafell. After all, since I'm only gonna try and have one tool for mutiple jobs and already have a lack of space. I think I might be hooked, as is 'Skill Builder' on his youtubw channel - one can only assume he likes Mafell if he's got a YT vid title showing him licking the jigsaw body!

Will sleep on it, but cutting through oak sounds fantastic. Not that I'd try, honest... Maybe a 4 month payment plan might be on the cards! Obviously wouldn't tell the missus.

What exactly will you be using your jigsaw for as they aren't really a do everything tool and not many people can justify the Mafell. About the only time my jigsaw comes out is for cutting scribes, they are not accurate enough for much else.

This is around the same price as the Mafell and much more useful for cutting joists and cladding etc, also good for sheet materials and can work as a sort of mitre saw, obviously won't cut curves though!

https://www.alanwadkinstoolstore.co...lkGMb97cvgm7qsLNHdDJ_ZCviQ7cPgxhoCynsQAvD_BwE

The Mafell is so accurate you will I’m sure be using it for a lot more than the normal jigsaw jobs. I used to have a ‘cheapy’ before I got the Mafell.

It must come down to the basic function of a tool, you would not use a jigsaw, even a very accurate one to cut sheet goods because a tracksaw, sliding table saw or even a handsaw must be better but then you would not use a tracksaw for cutting curves. There is no such thing as one tool that can do everything well, not even festool can make that claim.

Last edited:
Well... for the past 10 or 15 years me and my dad have used the Makita (in no particular order) for cutting doors; bevel cuts in lengths of timber; flooring; shelving; conti board/shelving... erm.. Joists and whereever else the handsaw was gonna become a bit too tedious and cumbersome.

You're all right that there's not one tool that does many jobs. For making mitres of the floor beading I've just used the fine handsaw (and hoping to invest in a Japanese pullsaw for next time I need to make mitres). I suppose it's had a generally easy life and arguably shouldn't have been used for some of them jobs (along the grain in hardwood - sorry) but I lack space/money to get a saw for each specific job.

My workshop is based around building bikes which I suppose I never really made much money of due to the attention to detail (or slogging off rubbish brands/workmanship) so tools-money is better spent elsewhere. Seems the Mafell with the higher grade blade will do the few cuts that I need to make every so often and do it with precision and hopefully it'll be the last saw I'll ever need to buy.

Chainsaws and circular saws just scare me and the jigsqw will also come in use to make grooves for the wood in the upcoming brick-shed build (for the roof) and a sliding mitre saw would be ace but last time I used I was happy when the job was over. Due to the lack of portability. Also, last time I used/owned a circular saw I was also happy when I finally got rid of the thing (nurse by trade and worked on a few broken/cut to pieces patients when I started).

Thw Mafell I think it's gonna be. Just won't tell th3 dad... or wife 🤗

When you compare the Mafell to all the others, the difference is in the thicker blade which gives rigidity and this delivers the precision, so if you could modify a jigsaw to accomodate one of those blades then it would be as good as the Mafell. Having trimed a door with my Makita tracksaw I was more than happy with the result, I don't think the outcome would have been the same using my Bosch GST but with a straight edge and that Mafel then I bet it would have been ok.

For 20 years I have used a Makita, one built like a battleship. It had this blade change requiring a lockdown screw which I hated. Solid, but oh so noisy!

A couple of months ago I purchased a Festool Trion PS300 EQ-Plus. Very nice. I am not a big jigsaw user, but this seems an excellent price for a high quality jigsaw if you do not wish to run to a Carvex or Mafell.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I used a jigsaw a lot. Had a superb Bosch pro with screw down bade change, then bought a Milwaukee, which is OK but the plate kept moving and finally, with a lot of really deep curves to cut in green oak I bought the Mafell PICC, wincing at the price.

The Mafell is in a completely different league to everything else I have tried (including Makita). With the double thickness extra long blades it will do dead on accurate 90 degree curves in 4" thick seasoned oak, leaving a good finish, no wander, and minimal vibration. Superb tool and worth the money if you actually plan to use a jigsaw a lot. Totally different blade guide and stabilisation system to everything else and it really works.

I had a DeWalt cordless which I ruined in a couple of years, prior to that I had a blue Bosch which I thrashed for 20+ years. I bought another blue Bosch which I couldn't resist replacing with a Festool Trion PS300 EQ-Plus. (110v, £129 from FFX). I'll sell the Bosch on.

Back