Jigsaw (suggest a)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redefined_cycles

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
After nearly 10 or more years with my corded Makita which has always been spot on, I think I might be buying another. My dad borrows it often enough that I'm thinking of just gifting it him (or getting him a new one but he'd just say I was being excessive).

Now, I don't want something uber expensive and I notice the Makita jigsaws similar to what I currentlu have are around £60 if shopping around. I'm gonna guess that they're not as well made though and also I noticed they don't now come with much attachments - mine originally came with the allen key, dust hose connecter thingy and straight edge guide plus plastic sleeve.

Part of me doesn't want to buy another Makita as I'm probably a bit bored of it (if allowed to say such a thing of an excellent tool). Equally though I don't want to spend loads but a Milwaukee bare unit might work (price pending) if my other (drill) batteries can work with it.

Budget is around £120 for new or around £60 for a used item. Just being careful not to buy a used and abused saw and then have lots of wonky cuts!

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
It might just be me but getting a decent straight cut from a jigsaw I find really hard going, equally getting the cut square to the surface. I was told that the answer is in the name, a jigsaw which infers a lot of curves.

The Mafell is out of budget, it is also out of my budget for a jigsaw but it does get some good reviews,

" It's quite simply the best jigsaw in the world. It's built like a battleship using precision German engineering, and it's the ONLY jigsaw out there which will deliver cuts which are consistently, totally 100% square to the surface. I've seen one of these machines cut a perfect square-edged circle round a £2 coin in 50mm oak !!! The design and thought which has gone into the machine are outstanding, they have literally thrown away the rule book and started again from scratch. Expensive? Yes. But worth it? Every penny. If you can afford it - you'll never have to buy another jigsaw. Very highly recommended. "

but at that price it should be, it should also make the tea!

I never knew about the body grip giving far better control. I'd actually wondered that.

Thanks for the Mafell suggestions. I'm hanging fire on the Bosch just yet as the origin is China and I'm trying my best not to give them my money at present due to the atrocities on the 3million or so Uighers in concentration camps (reports from the Uigher community itself).

Mafell... hmmm... lemme go look it up. Regards jigsaw as opposed to a circular saw. To be totally honest I'm scared of the circulars!

Last edited:
Phil, yes I think probably my fear of circular saws may be an irrational fear...

The Farnell is (obviously) out of my price range or requirements, but I've found this Metabo which seems it would be a significant upgrade from the Makita. Especially with 140mm plunge depth (I know... I wouldn't generally go that deep) and it seems an accurate cut along it's stroke.

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/metabo-steb-140-quick-140mm-orbital-jigsaw-in-carry-case
Anyone happen to know whats the difference between the 'quick' and the 'plus' versions.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Definitely body grip style for me, you feel to have more control plus you can cut from underneath which is often the best way to do it.

I was using my body grip Festool PS300 for a few hours today cutting up loads of pallets and it's the first time that I thought a D handle might be a good idea. The body of the jigsaw was getting quite hot so I kept moving my hand further along it, have owned the jigsaw for 18 years and it's the first time I've noticed this but it was running practically non stop for a few hours!

Just checked the current price of Festool PS300 and they are an absolute bargain at FFX........ if you want 110v :rolleyes:

https://ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Festo...gGcMcQfZbQ17NikVdISxcmnxPDS9mK-8aAgJ9EALw_wcB

Definitely body grip style for me, you feel to have more control plus you can cut from underneath which is often the best way to do it.

I was using my body grip Festool PS300 for a few hours today cutting up loads of pallets and it's the first time that I thought a D handle might be a good idea. The body of the jigsaw was getting quite hot so I kept moving my hand further along it, have owned the jigsaw for 18 years and it's the first time I've noticed this but it was running practically non stop for a few hours!

Just checked the current price of Festool PS300 and they are an absolute bargain at FFX........ if you want 110v :rolleyes:

https://ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Festo...gGcMcQfZbQ17NikVdISxcmnxPDS9mK-8aAgJ9EALw_wcB
You used a Festool on pallets?? I've used my erbrauer reciprocating saw on pallets but wouldn't even use my makita jigsaw on them.

You used a Festool on pallets?? I've used my erbrauer reciprocating saw on pallets but wouldn't even use my makita jigsaw on them.

Maybe this photo should carry a warning for some people 🤣🤣🤣

jigsaw pallets.jpg

one great advantage of the mafell visa vi the cuts is actually the blade, they have created a variation that to my memory is much more substantial, like many cutting tools the tool itself can only do so much the blade and the way its used make just as much difference.
aside but on the same note I got to use a hilti jgsaw blade for cutting curves with teeth on both sides of the blade, very affective just a tad pricey Jig saw blades for wood (curves) - Wood Jig Saw Blades - Hilti United Kingdom

I have a Makita 4351FCT barrel grip. I only use it occasionally (once every year or two) but like it each time I do. I know it will work every time I plug it in, just like my 40+ year old Makita routers.

I doubt I would use it to cut up pallets though, too slow. That job would likely go to the Milwaukee Sawzall or one of the circular saws, 8 1/4" or 7 1/4". If need be the Husqvarna 16" electric chainsaw could be pressed into service.

Once you are into the better quality named tools then the choice goes to brand loyalty and features.

Pete

Back