Is it any wonder why.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is that how you vote is not private. The number of the voting slip you are issued is put against your name on the voting record so how you vote can be checked. I have tried to stop it being done but was told I could not vote without it.
It's purpose...to avoid voter fraud...apparently...

The problem is that how you vote is not private. The number of the voting slip you are issued is put against your name on the voting record so how you vote can be checked. I have tried to stop it being done but was told I could not vote without it.
Exactly.
Checks are already in place.
You have to be on the electoral roll.
You have to know your name and address.
You have to be ticked off the list.
In theory your vote can be traced back to the number on the slip, if there's an issue over fraud.
It's private to all except the election officials who are sworn to confidentiality etc

Last edited:
Why wouldn't I? You don't know me.

I publically said on this forum that I was willing to give up a ventilator during Covid if my death served to save the life of a younger person or parent, feel free to check; of all the people to try to have this argument with - trust me - I'm not the guy.

My life is inconsequential to the world but if my death serves as a warning to save another persons who's family - wife, children would be devasted because thier father would otherwise have been murdered for roadrage or a bar fight or "just because" - yeah I'll pay that, gladly.

I was a Guardian Angel for 2.5 years - I've already put my life in harms way for strangers, I've also stopped multiple street fights - because I can - it's how I'm built, can YOU say the same?

All the above I've said in different ways in the 14 years I've been a member of this forum, as a matter of record.
Laudable in many ways, however I dont think most people standing on the scaffold with a rope around their neck, about to be hanged for a crime they hadnt committed, would be thinking " bummer for me but hey ho, if it serves the greater good then so be it" . Not sure I can see how it would benefit anyone else in any way whatsoever.

True, however since the records are sealed, and your ballot paper is secured in a box, to which the person with the list of numbers has no access prior to their list also being sealed, practically speaking it is secret. To open both sets of papers to compare them can only be authorised by the high court or parliament. This would only be permitted if there was clear evidence of fraud. Not sure how often this has been done, but I suspect vary rarely.

Not peculiar at all. You promoted the 'apparent' attempt to restrict the younger voter without saying that there were alternative measures already in place - which totally iradicates any such attempt.

The rest of your statement is just a silly non sequitur.
Well it won't encourage MORE young people and disadvantaged people to vote, even with the (expensive) sticking plaster of the voter ID form. Interesting that a senior Railcard is OK but a young person's rail card isn't. Why might that be, I wonder?

True, however since the records are sealed, and your ballot paper is secured in a box, to which the person with the list of numbers has no access prior to their list also being sealed, practically speaking it is secret. To open both sets of papers to compare them can only be authorised by the high court or parliament. This would only be permitted if there was clear evidence of fraud. Not sure how often this has been done, but I suspect vary rarely.
Depends on who is in power....the mechanisms exist to check on your vote. It a potentially powerful law to deal with a virtually non existent issue....or does it just keep lid on the problem?

Voter ID is already used in a part of the UK for decades. Nobody seems to mind.

Voter ID is just old fashioned Jerrymandering but you're drawing the new boundary not around a physical area but around a socio-economic group (the poor & the young).

As many have said... the electoral system is not broken. There is no case, let alone an overwhelming case to introduce voter-id to prevent fraud.

The argument that we should present ID at a voting booth is the same argument that we should carry photo ID at all times because "If you're not guilty, what have you to fear".

Fork that.

Can’t resist…..I’ve got my tin helmet on and I’m running for the fallout bunker🤣🤣🤣

Here goes…..so, those who would have preferred to remain in a particular union also seem to have an adversity towards photo ID cards. However, virtually every country that is a member of that club which we left require their citizens to carry photo ID at all times. I’d have thought they would have been all in favour of ID as part of the harmonisation of unification. Instead they seem to feel the young are too feeble and their safe space upset to organise themselves to carry photo ID……..Or it could be that every far left or right state has arisen by rigging the ballot box, stuffing the vote and photo ID will put this tactic in jeopardy?? 🤪

Can’t resist…..I’ve got my tin helmet on and I’m running for the fallout bunker🤣🤣🤣

Here goes…..so, those who would have preferred to remain in a particular union also seem to have an adversity towards photo ID cards. However, virtually every country that is a member of that club which we left require their citizens to carry photo ID at all times. I’d have thought they would have been all in favour of ID as part of the harmonisation of unification. Instead they seem to feel the young are too feeble and their safe space upset to organise themselves to carry photo ID……..Or it could be that every far left or right state has arisen by rigging the ballot box, stuffing the vote and photo ID will put this tactic in jeopardy?? 🤪
It's hard to know what it's about, bearing in mind that voter fraud hasn't been flagged as an issue.
Maybe they are worried about the opposite scenario whereby young or uninterested voters are encouraged to get out there and vote? Sets a few little obstacles in their way?

All well and good, but nobody has yet answered my question about what the motivation behind this legislation is.

@John Brown I took a stroll through the electoral commission web site that details cases of reported voter fraud and it’s extremely rare at around c500 cases a year. So, like you I don’t see the reason for changing the system.

Voter fraud on an individual scale is going to make no difference. If I vote 10 times its extremely unlikely to affect the outcome and I would have to somehow be able to visit my registered polling station 10 times without anyone noticing my varying fake moustaches/beards. If it came down to within 10 votes I'm pretty sure they would do a re-count and find my 10 votes that I somehow managed to sneak by. It also assumes no one else is doing the same but for the other party(ies).

The only real voter fraud we need to worry about is some mass changing of the numbers by someone on the inside. But that would rely on numerous people being involved at all levels and I don't really see that as possible.

Voter fraud is only really come up as an issue due to some orange moron convincing other morons that it happened, through a calculated and continual spouting of lies and conspiracies before and after the event.

Back