Serious help needed from any guitarist

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came late to music and got talked into starting on ukulele about 11 years ago. Only 4 strings to worry about and with a shorter neck there is less finger span required so making chords is easier.
This is great advice. The string tension is much easier on the fingers too. The tuning is the same as the top 4 strings of a guitar (although the first string is an octave higher), so you can transfer what you learn onto guitar if you want to go further. You can pick up a starter ukulele for twenty pounds or so off Amazon or ebay or even less second hand on Gumtree.

I've been playing for two years (started at 53).
I practice at least 30-60 mins every day, and I can honestly say, with that amount of time invested, I'm surprised at how awful I still am.
My fingers wont stretch, my memory is shockingly bad and co-ordination between my hands is best described as 'bloody useless'.
When ever anyone asks me how it's going, my answer is "well.......I'm not as bad as when I first started'.

I love trying, but it isn't easy - I think I read somewhere that more than 90% of people who try to learn give up within 3 months.
My way of saying, it can to be a mission no matter what condition you're in when you start - don't expect too much, but enjoy the journey :)

Thanks, your thread just encouraged me to grab a guitar from the cupboard and practice..... i haven't picked one up for nearly 2 years!
🤔 i could do that rather than trawling the internet in my spare time

I've been playing for two years (started at 53).
I practice at least 30-60 mins every day, and I can honestly say, with that amount of time invested, I'm surprised at how awful I still am.
My fingers wont stretch, my memory is shockingly bad and co-ordination between my hands is best described as 'bloody useless'.
When ever anyone asks me how it's going, my answer is "well.......I'm not as bad as when I first started'.

I love trying, but it isn't easy - I think I read somewhere that more than 90% of people who try to learn give up within 3 months.
My way of saying, it can to be a mission no matter what condition you're in when you start - don't expect too much, but enjoy the journey :)
I've been playing since you were one year old, and I am likewise surprised at how bad I am. I still get some pleasure from it, but I'm not sure why.

After reading and rereading all of your replies I decided to go with the advice given by "profchris and likeakite "
As someone with limited talents when dealing with a guitar I found it easy (thankyou both)
However as the guitar was originally set for Left hand and I changed it to Righthand so that I could use the Chordbuddy (Which failed)
if I now change it back to Left handed (because it feels better holding it) I assume if I use the same tuning method as describe by profchris and likeakite I will get the same results but I need someone to say YES it will.

Alan

Yes, works left or right handed.

The tunings I gave read from lowest note to highest. You normally string with the lowest string closest to your nose, holding the guitar in playing position.

Note: the slots in your nut might match the thickness of the strings for right handed tuning, in which case it will play better if they are filed to fit. Don't make them deeper, just wider where needed. Sandpaper wrapped round a thin knife blade might do it, or needle files if you have them. But if it was originally set up left handed, you should be fine.

Profchris, Thanks for that assurance. I purchased new nuts and strings when I changed over to right hand. I have the original nuts that were on the guitar when I had it.
I will now get some new strings, change back to the original nuts and restring it.
I've been looking at songs that can be played and found one that is appropriate using G C D.
and that is ITS A WORKING MAN I AM as all my working life was in the mines.:):):)

Than you Alan.

Profchris, Thanks for that assurance. I purchased new nuts and strings when I changed over to right hand. I have the original nuts that were on the guitar when I had it.
I will now get some new strings, change back to the original nuts and restring it.
I've been looking at songs that can be played and found one that is appropriate using G C D.
and that is ITS A WORKING MAN I AM as all my working life was in the mines.:):):)

Than you Alan.
Have a lot of fun!

Off the top of my head, Roll in My Sweet Baby's Arms is in G, same three chords. There are better versions than mine, but I enjoyed playing it.

If you are left handed like me you will most likely struggle to play a guitar righthanded, I have severe arthritis in my left elbow & it meant that i simply cannot twist my arm to play right handed, though the fingers usually work ok! Yet still people tried to tell me "you must learn to play right handed"
I came at the guitar from a different direction, aged 48, Cigar box guitar, three strings so half the number to balls up on. A lot of songs can be played with bar chords on one of these. Lots of good teachers on you tube, Uncle Marks Cigar box guitar is one of the best.
There are those who will say "A cigar box guitar isnt a real instrument", Plenty of fine guitarists out there who know otherwise.

If you're looking for inspiration, and you've a bit of time on your hands, search for YouTube jobs featuring Eric Gales.
He's actually right-handed, but he was taught to play by his left-handed brother, so he too plays guitar as a leftie.
His guitar is actually strung upside down - i.e the lightest string is at the top of the fretboard. People have likened his skill to Hendrix, but although Jimi's guitar bodies were upside down, his strings were "normal".....

Back