I'm not having a good day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OPJ":mdxe9yc9 said:
I sometimes wish my saw had a laser line, as I reckon it would make life a bit easier when trying to set the saw for an angled cut that isn't given by one of the preset stops. Otherwise, you've got to try and 'roll' the blade along the wood until it's parallel to the line and keeping making test cuts, which always takes time.

I just use the wixey angle finder box thingy for that - as far as lasers generally go my experience is that they are worth having on the higher end kit but on cheap kit (like the rexon we had at work until i upgraded it) they are so inaccurate as to be neither use nor ornament

big soft moose":xk33tlfo said:
OPJ":xk33tlfo said:
I sometimes wish my saw had a laser line, as I reckon it would make life a bit easier when trying to set the saw for an angled cut that isn't given by one of the preset stops. Otherwise, you've got to try and 'roll' the blade along the wood until it's parallel to the line and keeping making test cuts, which always takes time.

I just use the wixey angle finder box thingy for that - as far as lasers generally go my experience is that they are worth having on the higher end kit but on cheap kit (like the rexon we had at work until i upgraded it) they are so inaccurate as to be neither use nor ornament

Pete you have probably hit the nail on the head :wink:

Cheers

Mike

Someone asked what the saw was like.

Well, the replacement saw actually turned up today and so I opened it up. Yes, it was upside down and rattling around. But this time, it's not the fault of PTP but Makita. There is simply no way that a heavy item like this should be sent through the carrier system with only a few pieces of flimsy cardboard (not) supporting the saw or preventing it from falling around all over the place.

OK - took it out. Nothing obviously broken. Undid all the latches and slid the saw in and out on the bottom slider. It felt pretty rough, to be honest. Next I undid the securing bolt that locks the top slider and tried that. Even worse. It feels as if there is a corrugation milled all the way down but I can't see anything. It looks like a normal sleeved bearing but it graunches away like a good 'un.

So, as the first saw wasn't collected, I re-opened it to have a look to see what it was like. Not as bad but still very graunchy. Horrible to use.

So what's next? I do have a third saw coming from Screwfix (thanks for that, Moose). Hasn't got a laser but maybe I can live without that. It's supposed to be here by now. Just have to wait. Third time lucky?

RogerS":3ss62mih said:
So, as the first saw wasn't collected, I re-opened it to have a look to see what it was like. Not as bad but still very graunchy. Horrible to use.

So what's next? I do have a third saw coming from Screwfix (thanks for that, Moose). Hasn't got a laser but maybe I can live without that. It's supposed to be here by now. Just have to wait. Third time lucky?

Hmm! Makita getting sloppy with their quality control?

I bought a Sliding mitre saw off Ebay new for £70,it is identical in every way shape and form to that of a Makita even the colour,its called a Bosun...had to tweak the limiters and angle guides for perfect cutting and the slide rails are fantastic for gliding the saw mount,its unbelievable for the price I paid.

No, third time not lucky.

Having waited in for my pre-noon delivery from ScrewUp, they tell me that they have not even sent the order :twisted: . Clearly telephones don't exist at ScrewUp. Forum etiquette stops me from using more appropriate words but I have a job for ScrewUp that involves Sex and Travel.

RogerS":1ju41oge said:
No, third time not lucky.

Having waited in for my pre-noon delivery from ScrewUp, they tell me that they have not even sent the order :twisted: . Clearly telephones don't exist in Forum etiquette stops me from using more appropriate words but I have a job for ScrewUp that involves Sex and Travel.

you just dont have the luck roger - were you genghis khan in a previous life or something ? to have collected all this bad karma :lol:

Ive ordered loads of stuff from screwfix and never had a problem, but then ive never had a problem with aminster either (mind ypu i'm using a corporate (local govt) account so maybe we get better service because of volume of buisnes)

both D&M and Toolstation are showing the non laser variant in stock if you want to try elsewhere

or maybe you should buy that EB that senior/doctor is selling over the otherside - bit of a trek to essex to collect it tho, unless you can talk him into sendind it via pallets2go or similar

A lot of them show the saw - all variants - but when you ring and ask then they all said 'We can get it in for you, Sir'. I think that maybe someone is trying to tell me to use my tenon saw.

I will post up the ScrewUp debacle here as it might help someone in a similar situation.

Placed the order on the web. Paid extra for pre-noon delivery. Card went through OK.

About an hour later, I noticed that I'd still not received a confirmation email although the order was there in my Order History. So I rang customer service to check. I was assured that everything was OK, that 'No' he couldn't give me a tracking number but it was waiting for collection, that I would have it today. The alarm bells really started to ring now but I took what he said at face value.

What actually happened. ScrewUp have a team who manually check all orders above a certain value. This team is called CheckMe and based at head office. Unless they give the say so, your order will not proceed. And I suspect that you only get an email when the order has been fully processed and, as in this case, authorised by Checkme.

So the moral is...if you don't get a confirmation email then something is wrong. Don't believe what the muppet on the phone says, either, when you call to check.

OK...back to the story. Some even bigger muppet at ScrewUp decided to move the CheckMe team. So yesterday afternoon at the time I placed my order, they were packing their desks. No contingency plans. Nothing. So all us eager-beavers who were busily placing our orders in the faith that something was actually happening, were delusional.

They still weren't up and running by lunchtime this morning and so there must have been a pretty big backlog of orders that needed checking...including mine. It's still there probably. I can't be pineappled to go and find out as I've lost the will to live.

also nother thought if you arent wedded to the makita (if their quality control /packing) has gone **** up - that outfit selling hitachis that dibs (or was it tom, hmm i forget) used might be an option - I think they were on ebay but gave very quick good service - I'll see if i can find the link

edit: well i found it - but hes only got 110v left so scratch that idea

What are you cutting roger ? if its for a particular project that you need quickly ive got an old performance power non sliding cms that you can have for free if thats any good to you (I havent touched it since getting the tablesaw)

That's kind of you, Moose. I do have an SCMS but it doesn't trench and I need to make a load of tenons..and yes, I know that I can make them in other ways...etc etc....and to be honest, given all the time I've wasted in trying to get this sorted, I could have gnawed my way though them.

But sometimes a boy needs a new toy.

I'm OK with 110v, by the way. But equally critical is that I have an existing infeed/outfeed arrangement and so I have to check the saws dimensions to see that I don't have to rebuild the workshop.

RogerS":329awdpx said:
That's kind of you, Moose. I do have an SCMS but it doesn't trench and I need to make a load of tenons..and yes, I know that I can make them in other ways...etc etc....and to be honest, given all the time I've wasted in trying to get this sorted, I could have gnawed my way though them.

But sometimes a boy needs a new toy.

I'm OK with 110v, by the way. But equally critical is that I have an existing infeed/outfeed arrangement and so I have to check the saws dimensions to see that I don't have to rebuild the workshop.

if you want to trench wouldnt you be better off with a RAS ? (loads of them on ebay) this'n isnt a million miles from you http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEWALT-RADIAL-ARM ... 4150ca913c

I also have the DW 718 with the factory fitted laser and am very happy with it. I don't think it is a gimmick but once set up accurately is a very good aid in cutting. It is powerful, has a clear line and runs off the mains power too. I have often used it outside under a pop up gazebo and I can still see the line clear enough too. :wink:

RogerS":2vkpwjob said:
I'd not really considered a RAS as I still need the mitreing capability of the SCMS. And they scare me. :shock:

I meant as well as the scms that you've already got - just for trenching

but yes if i wasnt absolutely fearless they'd scare me as well ( I dont have one personally, when i need to trench i do it on the table saw with the guard removed (yeah yeah i know :whistle: ) )

RogerS":2q3lpndy said:
You've seen my place. A swung cat would have a very bruised head!

true, but you've got more room than me - I'm in a single car garage, and my method is to have everything on wheels (except the lathe) and move it out from the wall to use it one machine at a time.

really big cuts get done at work where there is more space

Back