How many active turners remain in UKWorkshop ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started after a chance conversation in January, the "turner" was SO enthusiastic. Seven months later, I probably turn something each week. This was timber found in the pile of logs intended for the fire next winter.
549C8143-93B8-4EAB-A9B1-B832CD00A161.JPG

I used to be obsessed and turning bowls almost every day but when all the people I knew had more bowls than they could handle I slowed down a bit. Now its just practical bits like handles and parts for other projects. I still do the odd bowl when I find an interesting bit of wood.
Regards
John

Not just at the moment but will be again soon after moving to Spain, just need to finish the workshop first. Well that’s my plan, the wife thinks I should finish the house first.

Barry

Last edited:
Tell her you need the workshop in order to make the things to finish the house :)

Started after a chance conversation in January, the "turner" was SO enthusiastic. Seven months later, I probably turn something each week. This was timber found in the pile of logs intended for the fire next winter.View attachment 90692
That is BEAUTIFUL! I couldn't make they after years of on and off turning. Well done, sir.

I do occasionally turn things.

More when I get a request or I need something round.

Last thing I turned for myself was a fishing rod handle in Yew.

Also turned a small float for a friend's duck feeder out of the same piece of wood.

I bought a Union Jubilee and a 1936 Bursgreen 3ph 16" Bandsaw (MZF or similar) last year to allow me to start with lumps of tree and end up with something that looks a bit like a bowl. I'm only turning in my spare time as the day job gets in the way (for a few more years at least) and am still learning. Just about to replace the bearings - I'm immensely grateful to all those who have contributed here previously as there seems no way to get any detailed manuals for the Jubilee. So I thought I would join to see if I can give anything back...

Hi - I turn but my shed’s a right mess at the moment and I can’t get to my lathe until my 5 year old son and I complete ‘Project Trailer’.

not yet, I started watching Nick Zametti on YouTube and became fascinated with the possibilities of the lathe, last year I bought a lathe from gumtree for £30, now its sitting in my garage awaiting a workshop and gouges, ive mostly watched Al Furtado on YT but the main thing to take my interest is inside out turning and the possibilities that presents

I still turn but only occasionally visit UKW. I must confess to using the forum as a source of information rather than actively contributing. This must be the first time I have actually logged in for ages.

When I have the wood to turn bowls, I turn bowls. If I don't have suitable blanks, I turn tool handles that I don't need or, if push comes to shove, I turn kindling into decorative kindling. When I go for a walk, I constantly keep an eye open for 'lathe fodder'. In the winter, when we have log fires, visitors may be inclined to think that we.ve resorted to burning the furniture as most of our firewood ends up looking like a chair leg before we burn it (never burn anything that isn't symmetrical).
I got my first lathe in July 2019 so I'm still gripped by the obsession.

Still at it fervently, building up skills and techniques, working towards segmented turning.
20200815_201822.jpg

Latest posts

Back