How many active turners remain in UKWorkshop ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still turn when the moment calls for it. Only a hobby and very basic though. Last turning was about 4 weeks ago and I made something for a neighbours boat from a piece of oak he supplied.

Still doing some.

BBsm.jpg

BVsm.jpg

Hi - I turn but my shed’s a right mess at the moment and I can’t get to my lathe until my 5 year old son and I complete ‘Project Trailer’.
Yes, similar place, got everything there, but can hardly get into the shed. A clean out today I think!

Hi,

I'm generally bogged down with jobs that need doing not jobs I want to do.

A couple of days ago I turned a new middle wooden roller for the Suffolk Colt mower I've just sold. Time permitting I like working on both my metal and woodturning lathes. One new skill I've learned is metal spinning; I spin aluminium on my modified Graduate lathe; my Graduate has been totally rebuilt and modified now with a 1.5hp inverter rated 3 phase motor and a VFD. Both lathes have identical motors so I can run them through one VFD.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colt mower_0001.JPG

New and old mower rollers.

More spinning_003_01.JPG

Metal spinning former for coach lamp aluminium reflectors.

More spinning_005.JPG

Another former for the same reflectors.

More spinning_006.JPG

Metal spinning is very interesting indeed but can prove highly dangerous. A great deal of leverage is applied to the long tool handle; so much leverage that I fractured a rib but I'm not on my own because many metal spinners suffer a fractured rib.

Reflectors_001.JPG

I restored two vintage coach lamps; each lamp had three reflectors so here are the six completed reflectors.

I too suffered problems when first attempting metal spinning but with patience and determination I won in the end. 1050 grade aluminium is the grade needed.

Hi,

Thanks for asking Blister. (y) A VFD is a Variable Frequency Drive; this is the one I have; it's 3hp but can run smaller motors once the parameters are set.

Wiring in and setting up one of these VFD's can prove dangerous due to mains electricity involved where a mistake could be the last mistake ever made.

I've had my VFD for years and found initial setting up to be highly frustrating on the Jubilee lathe I had at the time but I sure had fun setting it up to run both my current lathes; I connected remote controls and had lots of problems due to "cross talk" between the signal wiring and motor wiring; in the end I used Cat 6 cable for the signal wiring to the remote controls and added switches allowing only one lathe at a time to run; I've not seen this done before so I was on my own but both lathes are now happy. Sorry I've not got wiring diagrams and I don't want to encourage anyone to have an accident.

Kind regards, Colin.

Here is one of my slimline pens. I don’t really mind anyone making comments because I believe that’s how I may be able to improve. Or I could wish to ignore. I’m not that sensitive, but I think it’s a likeable effort.

Attachments

• 46FA9B31-C02E-40EB-A849-1AF008B61719.jpeg
    46FA9B31-C02E-40EB-A849-1AF008B61719.jpeg
    937.3 KB · Views: 11
Hi,

Thanks for asking Blister. (y) A VFD is a Variable Frequency Drive; this is the one I have; it's 3hp but can run smaller motors once the parameters are set.

Wiring in and setting up one of these VFD's can prove dangerous due to mains electricity involved where a mistake could be the last mistake ever made.

I've had my VFD for years and found initial setting up to be highly frustrating on the Jubilee lathe I had at the time but I sure had fun setting it up to run both my current lathes; I connected remote controls and had lots of problems due to "cross talk" between the signal wiring and motor wiring; in the end I used Cat 6 cable for the signal wiring to the remote controls and added switches allowing only one lathe at a time to run; I've not seen this done before so I was on my own but both lathes are now happy. Sorry I've not got wiring diagrams and I don't want to encourage anyone to have an accident.

Kind regards, Colin.

My head hurts just viewing the video , I would be useless at setting that up and probably RIP

Still doing some.

BBsm.jpg

BVsm.jpg

Very nice Kim glad to see you still turning.

Here is one of my slimline pens. I don’t really mind anyone making comments because I believe that’s how I may be able to improve. Or I could wish to ignore. I’m not that sensitive, but I think it’s a likeable effort.

A good looking pen the turning is good and sized correctly for the pen parts

My Dad was a good turner & taught me, I ended up with his tools & had a union graduate lathe out of a school, I enjoyed turning occasionally but usually used it just for making components for other things, musical instruments, boats, tools etc. Sold the graduate last year as i needed the space & dont really miss it. I figured for £20 a year i can use the one in the mens shed just up the road if i need to turn something!
I have a Harrison 140 metal lathe & it sees far more use.

Latest posts

Back