What's this lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Established Member
Reaction score
Just moved into a new house where I have access to a big workshop that my wife's grandfather used for many years. Various people have used the tools over the years, but there is a lathe which still runs in the corner along with his chisels etc.

I've never done any turning at all and have no idea where to start, but would love to start! Does anyone know anything about this lathe, or if it's any good. I would love to find a manual or even understand what model it is!

tempImageebUU7S.jpg

tempImageyNS9fR.jpg

tempImagebc4gel.jpg

What do we think of the chuck which is currently on the lathe? It doesn't look complete to me. Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent chuck?

What do we think of the chuck which is currently on the lathe? It doesn't look complete to me. Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent chuck?
From what I’ve read those chucks are quite serviceable if you have all the bits. They aren’t particularly user friendly though which is probably why they died out and were replaced with scroll chucks. Have a look at the Nova or Record Power chucks, there are often good deals about and the jaws are interchangeable between them and also the Sorby Patriot. If you’re on a tight budget then the Charnwood Nexus also uses the same jaws.

From what I’ve read those chucks are quite serviceable if you have all the bits. They aren’t particularly user friendly though which is probably why they died out and were replaced with scroll chucks. Have a look at the Nova or Record Power chucks, there are often good deals about and the jaws are interchangeable between them and also the Sorby Patriot. If you’re on a tight budget then the Charnwood Nexus also uses the same jaws.
If you can find the other bits to go with the existing chuck, and very unlikely that it would have been bought without them, I would have a play and see if you like it. A very good chuck, but certainly more complicated than a scroll type. If you have only got what is shown in the picture then probably cheaper to get a scroll type than to find extra bits for yours.
And please get rid of the plug with cable still attached :)

Latest posts

Back