How far gone is too far gone for old wood lathes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCMckenna

Reaction score
Alright ladies/gents, hear me out:

I've been trying to replace my mini lathe for a little while now, I've long outgrown its very limited turning capacities (can't turn a chair leg, OR a bowl wider than 7ish inches lol). I've chased second hand models here and there, but the more I look, the more intoxicated I am with those old vintage cast iron headstock/tailstocks you see on old belt driven models. I've missed a good deal once or twice too, through the various second hand sites. I'm also a welder, and I'm basically looking for an excuse to fabricate my own bed ways.

So what I'm really looking for, are just the toolrest, head and tailstock of an old lathe that I can fix up. One with morse taper fittings, as well as the threaded drive for faceplates/chucks.

And thus, we arrive at this horrorshow (pictured). Its been sat in the rain for eons, probably pushing 30+ years. Its exactly what I have been looking for in regards to large cast iron hardware that would fulfill my bowl swing needs. But good god, imagine trying to free up that quill from the tailstock. I'm in talks with the owner, thinking of going to pick it up next week. I meant to grab it a week ago, but a family emergency happened and I had to call it off.

So I could soak it in rust remover/treacle, and see how things go. I can also see that the toolrest fastening screw AND the quill fastening screw are both snapped off. And lets not forget how buggered those bronze bushings could be. But given that I want a project lathe, how much of a stupid idea do you all think this is? Thank you all for your time.

Also I'm sorry if i posted this in the wrong board, ect.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-03 111429.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-03 111429.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
What could possibly go wrong!

Invest in some penetrating fluid.

Plus gas or similar.

Don't waste your time, unless you see it as a creative challenge!
Old lathes in good nick are cheap. I got an Arundel J4 Senior complete, good condition, 6ft bed, various extras, £100. Bargains are available!

Nothing is beyond rescuing if you have enough time, money,, equipment and skills. And, unless you have a burning desire to take on such a project, it might be best avoided.

I have an old Drummond lathe in need of new bushing, also the shaft either needs areas of damage welded and re skimmed, or it needs replaced in its entirety. Unless I am able to do this myself it is going to cost me quite a bit,

So there it remains in the corner of my workshop until I build up my skills, or set aside enough funds to cover the cost of the work.:unsure:

I'm in talks with the owner

Are these talks at the £20 level or the £200 level?

You already have a lathe, which will help with removing snapped screws.

Fix up the headstock, make the bed and use the headstock to bore out the old tailstock barrel if it is still stuck despite soaking for the entire time you are doing the other work.

It will in no way be economic to do it, but only you can put a value on the things you learn from doing so.

First step would be to sandblast everything and then soak any moving parts, or parts that are supposed to move in diesel for a few days and then examine everything. As @ChaiLatte has said, it may not be economical but it would be a challenge and something you could be proud of as nothing is really beyond repair, maybe just your wallet.

To me that looks too far gone. I am all for getting old things working but it helps if you start with a reasonable prospect of success. That looks a very outside chance. Keep looking there are better contenders out there. Those pulleys look like it ran with a flat belt so its very old. Just 2 speed by the looks of it. Not even sure that has morse tapers. If it was from an industrial setting it may be for a specialized job so a one trick pony. You would need serious metalworking skills to do anything with that. Still if its a challenge you are after it should tick that box.
Regards
John

Nothing is beyond rescuing if you have enough time, money,, equipment and skills. And, unless you have a burning desire to take on such a project, it might be best avoided.

I have an old Drummond lathe in need of new bushing, also the shaft either needs areas of damage welded and re skimmed, or it needs replaced in its entirety. Unless I am able to do this myself it is going to cost me quite a bit,

So there it remains in the corner of my workshop until I build up my skills, or set aside enough funds to cover the cost of the work.:unsure:
Approach the local model engineering club they will turn them for beers!!

I would leave it alone, you can buy better parts elsewhere on an auction site.
I recently watched youtube showing someone who put their headstock and tail on wooden blocks fitted nicely so the fitted both the bed and under the head/tail stocks that gives you greater swing - if you are a welder no doubt you could fabricate them.
Worth finding the video
If you are happy with the height then you could fabricate a new bed?
Just a few thought hope they help

Hello all,

Thank you so much for your comments! I can't believe I waited this long to actually register on this site. This is terrific, you've all really helped me make up my mind.

To answer some of the questions, they were asking for 100 quid (though I was not going to let that slide as its effectively scrap), its a few hours from me (which further makes it less worth it) and when I spoke to the guy on the phone he tried to say it would loosen up easily! How can you bulls*** a person like that? It used to be in the guy's grandpa's workshop in the early 1900's, he was a furniture maker, so I don't necessarily think it was a one trick pony. Excellent point though. And for context, I don't think I have serious metalworking skills they way this thing would need. I do really love its form and such, but I really ought not to commit to something so challenging I rekon. I appreciate that most of you believed I could pull it off though. The child in me does want that.

I think I'll hold fire and see if something in much more workable condition comes up, this is VERY low hanging fruit compared to most lathes. I originally learned on an old 7ft wadkin, thing was bomb-proof. I doubt I could ever fit something like that in my shop, but I think its probably a good shout to look out for a union jubilee or something that already has a solid foundation. Thanks to all of you, ever so much.

I would leave it alone, you can buy better parts elsewhere on an auction site.
I recently watched youtube showing someone who put their headstock and tail on wooden blocks fitted nicely so the fitted both the bed and under the head/tail stocks that gives you greater swing - if you are a welder no doubt you could fabricate them.
Worth finding the video
If you are happy with the height then you could fabricate a new bed?
Just a few thought hope they help
Thats a fantastic point, I may consider that for my current lathe if nothing good comes up in the coming months. Cheers Okey

I’m a bit late to the party. Only things I can add are that electrolysis works wonders freeing up seized brake calipers etc so could work on this if a suitably barge trough could be made. A mate dug a trench and lined it with visqueen to derust a steel bumper.
£100 looks expensive for that by the time you get it home to make a start
I’ve had lots of lathes wood and metal mostly old some with treadles etc but always try and buy things without too much wear on the spindles 9 here at the moment
Union jubilees are great machines often overshadowed by the Graduates well worth a look as they are plentiful in supply and many around that have not been thrashed. There’s a useful facebook group of dedicated enthusiasts too.

You could try Philpots hard chrome in Luton. Famous in the motorcycle world for refurbishing fork tubes. They did my old Myford 4 spindle. Hard chromed, not to be confused with the purely decorative variety, then precision ground and the bushes etc lined bored to suit. Cost me £200, but quite a lot more involved than I'm guessing your Drummond might be.

If you have plenty of time on your hands and the machinery to resurface any rusted/pitted parts, re-sleeve any rusted holes, recut bearings, rethread etc. etc. it could be seen as a challenge. To me it just looks like a waste of time as at the end of the day you would still have a lathe way below modern standards...

Alright ladies/gents, hear me out:

I've been trying to replace my mini lathe for a little while now, I've long outgrown its very limited turning capacities (can't turn a chair leg, OR a bowl wider than 7ish inches lol). I've chased second hand models here and there, but the more I look, the more intoxicated I am with those old vintage cast iron headstock/tailstocks you see on old belt driven models. I've missed a good deal once or twice too, through the various second hand sites. I'm also a welder, and I'm basically looking for an excuse to fabricate my own bed ways.

So what I'm really looking for, are just the toolrest, head and tailstock of an old lathe that I can fix up. One with morse taper fittings, as well as the threaded drive for faceplates/chucks.

And thus, we arrive at this horrorshow (pictured). Its been sat in the rain for eons, probably pushing 30+ years. Its exactly what I have been looking for in regards to large cast iron hardware that would fulfill my bowl swing needs. But good god, imagine trying to free up that quill from the tailstock. I'm in talks with the owner, thinking of going to pick it up next week. I meant to grab it a week ago, but a family emergency happened and I had to call it off.

So I could soak it in rust remover/treacle, and see how things go. I can also see that the toolrest fastening screw AND the quill fastening screw are both snapped off. And lets not forget how buggered those bronze bushings could be. But given that I want a project lathe, how much of a stupid idea do you all think this is? Thank you all for your time.

Also I'm sorry if i posted this in the wrong board, ect.
Hi, we got a wood lathe small to medium size in need of tlc. Its just basic sits on aliminium bed motor and belt drive. Can get pictures if you're interested, ?

Latest posts

Back