What's the safest shape for a small part on a toy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent_zed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm making a slide whistle for my nephew and will be putting something on the end of the shaft, both for safety if you fall on it and also to be able to hold it to activate the slide. This would normally be a ball but I'm slightly cautious that if it got broken or chewed off there is a choking hazard. It'll be glued on so chances are minimal of it coming detached but just to be safe. My nephew is 4.5yrs but has a younger sister that is <3 which is more of a concern.

Chas Jones linked this doc Chas Jones, Hobby Turner in another thread about toy safety, which shows some things to follow. I don't really want to put a golf ball sized ball on there as thats a bit big but I did see a line about a conical shape not having the same issues as a ball.

Does anyone have any further info on this? Am I safer to put a cone shape on the shaft end?

thanks

this is a helpful website:
https://www.cemarking-handmadetoys.co.uk/0-3-warnings/
the key is that a part should not be able to completely fit into this test cylinder - if it can then any toy (being sold commercially) must be labelled as not for 0-3:

1703003769754.jpeg

Back