Record Coronet Herald bench feet.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chickpea

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking about buying a Herald. I know a couple of people who have them and like them. They use their lathes on the optional legs that you can purchase. I want to bench mount mine and noticed that they sell a pair of optional bench mount feet.
My question is are these absolutely essential to mount the lathe on a bench,and if so, could you make a pair that would work. I notice that they are around £70 for the pair, so it would save a fair bit.

Many thanks,

Richard.

They bolt directly to the bottom of the bed, so it would be fairly easy to bolt through your bench and bolt directly to bench.
I have the feet, bought with the lathe instead of the legs. The extra height the give under the lathe make cleaning easy, and somewhere to place tools when working.
I wouldn't personally bolt it direct to worktop, as the extra space given by the feet is very usable for tools.
Making your own feet wouldn't be hard, but for the money they are very strong and sturdy and make it easier to bolt to bench or a diy stand.
Worth buying IMHO.

They bolt directly to the bottom of the bed, so it would be fairly easy to bolt through your bench and bolt directly to bench.
I have the feet, bought with the lathe instead of the legs. The extra height the give under the lathe make cleaning easy, and somewhere to place tools when working.
I wouldn't personally bolt it direct to worktop, as the extra space given by the feet is very usable for tools.
Making your own feet wouldn't be hard, but for the money they are very strong and sturdy and make it easier to bolt to bench or a diy stand.
Worth buying IMHO.
That's very useful. Many thanks.
How do you personally find the lathe?
Does the headstock swivel 360 degrees right the way around?
The swivel headstock is one of the features that I like at this price point.
I did dpe.d some time looking at the KS range of lathes, but cannot really justify the price and they have the same length of warrantee.
Many thanks again. 😂👍

Yes, and no.

First up, they do add a lot of weight and doubtless help with vibration. The accessories do look expensive but you are buying a heavy lump of iron with some machining. Like a lot of equipment I'm sure the headline price is set to be attractive with higher margins on the accessories. but you would be hard pressde to find a better lathe at the proce even if you add £70 for the feet.

If you have the legs, I don't, you can use legs without bench feet or with, to give a bit more height.

Unlike the DML lathe I had before, there are no through holes in the lathe bed or its surrounds, it is threaded from underneath. Also teh base is flush all the way along so if you simply put it on a bech there would be no easy way to clean out shavings or recover things you dropped.

If you go without the feet I think you will need a wooden block at each end, maybe 60 thick or a couple of thinner ones stacked and about 200x200. You would need to bolt them to the lathe bed from underneath, counter boring so the bolt heads are flush. That would raise the bed enough for clearance and give you sufficient surround to bolt or screw it down to a bench from the top. You might get away with bolting through from underneath, dependong on your bench design, but you would still need spacers to lift the cast iron bed a little.

I fitted mine to a home made bench - think large trestle - and still used wooden blocks to get a bit more height because the bench was built for a slightly taller lathe. The photo which will follow might help.

Answering your second question, I find the swivel really useful because you can turn it 45 degrees towards you for hollowing bowls or deep vases. At my age, leaning over the bed and waving a gouge about was straining my back. Much easier to see what you are doing as well. And you can slide it along. I'm a bit tight for space on my left as I work, so unless it's a long spindle job I just move the headstock along a bit. Had it about 15 months, really pleased with it and doubt I will ever need to move on.

Attachments

• IMG_20240215_180848.jpg
    IMG_20240215_180848.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Re warrantee , Be careful , I think you may find the long guarantee covers the cast iron, The electronics 12 months , May be worth asking.

Yandles have the lathe with bench feet as an option for £929.99 and free UK mainland delivery

Re warrantee , Be careful , I think you may find the long guarantee covers the cast iron, The electronics 12 months , May be worth asking.
Not just casting, whole package
From record power site
5 Year Guarantee
At Record Power customer service and satisfaction are extremely important to us and we are so confident in the quality or our machines that the vast majority of Record Power products come with a free industry-leading 5 year guarantee. This covers manufacturing and construction defects for a period of 5 years from the purchase date.

No-one else offers such an impressive guarantee - a true indication of the quality that is synonymous with the Record Power brand.

Full details can be seen here
https://www.recordpower.co.uk/pages/warranty-details

Yes, and no.

First up, they do add a lot of weight and doubtless help with vibration. The accessories do look expensive but you are buying a heavy lump of iron with some machining. Like a lot of equipment I'm sure the headline price is set to be attractive with higher margins on the accessories. but you would be hard pressde to find a better lathe at the proce even if you add £70 for the feet.

If you have the legs, I don't, you can use legs without bench feet or with, to give a bit more height.

Unlike the DML lathe I had before, there are no through holes in the lathe bed or its surrounds, it is threaded from underneath. Also teh base is flush all the way along so if you simply put it on a bech there would be no easy way to clean out shavings or recover things you dropped.

If you go without the feet I think you will need a wooden block at each end, maybe 60 thick or a couple of thinner ones stacked and about 200x200. You would need to bolt them to the lathe bed from underneath, counter boring so the bolt heads are flush. That would raise the bed enough for clearance and give you sufficient surround to bolt or screw it down to a bench from the top. You might get away with bolting through from underneath, dependong on your bench design, but you would still need spacers to lift the cast iron bed a little.

I fitted mine to a home made bench - think large trestle - and still used wooden blocks to get a bit more height because the bench was built for a slightly taller lathe. The photo which will follow might help.

Answering your second question, I find the swivel really useful because you can turn it 45 degrees towards you for hollowing bowls or deep vases. At my age, leaning over the bed and waving a gouge about was straining my back. Much easier to see what you are doing as well. And you can slide it along. I'm a bit tight for space on my left as I work, so unless it's a long spindle job I just move the headstock along a bit. Had it about 15 months, really pleased with it and doubt I will ever need to move on.
That is extremely detailed and helpful.
I have a dml 305 at the moment which I find excellent. I also have an older record cl1 (one of the blue ones) which is bombproof and I will find it hard to part with. I'm not a fan.if electric variable speed, but that's just me finding it hard to move on. I'm grateful for your advice and know I will y upgrade sooner or later 👍😊

I have a dml 305 at the moment
I moved on from the 305 as well, although I had almost 3 happy years with the 305, no regrets. The ability to adjust speed in an instant means you never think 'oh, won't bother' and use a sub optimal speed for what you are doing. With out of balance blanks, I use a lot of self cut wood, its good to be able to increase the speed gradually as you work and the piece comes into better balance. Chucks, centres etc all fit, same thread and morse taper, plus its altogether a nice lathe to use.

I've got the same lathe you are contemplating. I love it. It's well made, runs well, good value for money. Like others I'd highly recommend the feet, they will add more weight than timber blocks. If you need to call Record power for advice and guidance, there is always someone knowledgeable at the end of a phone.
Get it, you won't be disappointed.

I've got the same lathe you are contemplating. I love it. It's well made, runs well, good value for money. Like others I'd highly recommend the feet, they will add more weight than timber blocks. If you need to call Record power for advice and guidance, there is always someone knowledgeable at the end of a phone.
Get it, you won't be disappointed.
Hi,
That's extremely helpful indeed. I do like record equipment and gave had a couple of lathes from them over the years, including the one I use at the moment.
Thanks again 👍😊

I moved on from the 305 as well, although I had almost 3 happy years with the 305, no regrets. The ability to adjust speed in an instant means you never think 'oh, won't bother' and use a sub optimal speed for what you are doing. With out of balance blanks, I use a lot of self cut wood, its good to be able to increase the speed gradually as you work and the piece comes into better balance. Chucks, centres etc all fit, same thread and morse taper, plus its altogether a nice lathe to use.
This is the same for me, I really like my RP DML24 lathe but I would like more and easier speed control, minimum speed (first gear) of 400 sometimes isn't slow enough to stop some finishes being flung off or for internal sanding items with big voids and there's a huge difference between the mid speed of 1000 and top speed of 2000, I've had pieces explode on start up going from gear 2 to 3, the only other issue I have is the max start diameter of 9.5 inches, I have a few pieces of wood I won't use until I have a bigger lathe, have considered the coronet or the herald but then I see some of the big American brands coming over like the Rikon with huge capacities but maybe I'm just getting greedy, after all I will have to get it through the garage and into my little 3x2.5m space and then power it, I only have 4 plug sockets and would have to get the schools permission to add more outlets and pay for it myself 🥴

As above I would strongly recommend the feet… I have mine bolted to a sealey unit - we drilled holes, inserted threaded metal things (no idea what they are called but photo below) and then bolted the feet into those and the lathe to the feet - phenomenally solid now…

Had to position it so that we avoided bolts from cabinet into worktop and so that when swinging the head the workpiece is in front of the cabinet - allowing large items…

Sorby pro edge behind and tools / chucks etc in the cabinet - works well…

IMG_8613.jpeg

IMG_8614.jpeg

IMG_8615.jpeg

with huge capacities but maybe I'm just getting greedy, after all I will have to get it through the garage and into my little 3x2.5m
The Herald will in theory turn a chuck mounted 21 inch blank with the headstock turned 90 degrees. Not sure I would ever spend on a blank that big, or trust myself not to mess up, or know where to put a 20 inch bowl if I had one. So big enough for me.

The Herald will in theory turn a chuck mounted 21 inch blank with the headstock turned 90 degrees. Not sure I would ever spend on a blank that big, or trust myself not to mess up, or know where to put a 20 inch bowl if I had one. So big enough for me.
I think there is more likely to be a power limit hit than a capacity limit...
The Herald is 1kw in / 0.75kw out in power (c. 1hp out)
The Regent is double that at 2 in and 1.5 out (c. 2hp out)

If you want to e.g. use a bowl saver - then you need a minimum of 1.5hp (presume that is power out) - so the Regent will handle it - the Herald won't...

I think there is more likely to be a power limit hit than a capacity limit...
The Herald is 1kw in / 0.75kw out in power (c. 1hp out)
The Regent is double that at 2 in and 1.5 out (c. 2hp out)

If you want to e.g. use a bowl saver - then you need a minimum of 1.5hp (presume that is power out) - so the Regent will handle it - the Herald won't...
That's definitely something I'll need to consider, not really looking to make massive 21inch+ platters and bowls but it would be nice to have that ability should the need arise. Its a lot of money to spend and I'm a long way off affording it but it will be a great excuse to make the 2.5hr trip to yandles 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Back