How many active turners remain in UKWorkshop ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot water crust pastry is totally unforgiving! You only get one chance to get it right before filling. Any small imperfection will be magnified and become a crack :(

Hold on. We have an issue.

850383.png

'You turn if you want to. The lady's not for turning!'

I'm in shock.

Hi
I’m a bit of a lurker so not massively active - I turn though.
Waiting on my bandsaw to arrive before I start on a blues-bowl guitar.

I inherited a lathe from my father. He was a Windsor chair maker for many years following his retirement from the RAF. It is a Turnstyler with a 55 inch bed. It has sat in my workshop along with all his turning tools for several years untouched save my regular maintenance to keep rust at bay. This Christmas I decided to have a go so turned a trial piece from a block of pine. Roughing gouge was straightforward to use as were other narrower gouges. Tried his skew chisels which was a whole different ballgame! Need to practice with that weapon as it was very ‘catchy’. I want to turn more, particularly slender legs for tables, etc so can see skew needs practice. Wish I had been interested as a youngster when he was still with us.

This was my trial piece

Attachments

• A08BE6E9-34FB-4479-835C-29C791766252.jpeg
    A08BE6E9-34FB-4479-835C-29C791766252.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 15
Hi jaw11...
Welcome ....I’m in yate....started last year...I know what you mean about the skew....deadly weapon...I’ve had the experience myself...but I think I’m sorted now

Steve

Yes me too, bought a Graduate from a local school, renovation, electrics upgrade, started Turing just as lockdown started,. Learning every time I switch on.

I inherited a lathe from my father. He was a Windsor chair maker for many years following his retirement from the RAF. It is a Turnstyler with a 55 inch bed. It has sat in my workshop along with all his turning tools for several years untouched save my regular maintenance to keep rust at bay. This Christmas I decided to have a go so turned a trial piece from a block of pine. Roughing gouge was straightforward to use as were other narrower gouges. Tried his skew chisels which was a whole different ballgame! Need to practice with that weapon as it was very ‘catchy’. I want to turn more, particularly slender legs for tables, etc so can see skew needs practice. Wish I had been interested as a youngster when he was still with us.

I'm sure your father would have loved to demonstrate his skew skills to you. We always had something better to do in our youth.
I am about three years in and am still intimidated by the skew. I intend to take some classes on just that when the times are right.
The only one I have came in a set and seems too large for me. I have been eyeing up the new slimline ones from axy.
https://www.axminstertools.com/crown-cryo-colwin-way-signature-skew-chisel-12mm-104716

Thanks for the comments guys. Nicer than an engineer friend who told me it had ‘firewood written all over it’! So I obliged him!

I turn quite a lot. So much so that Santa bought me a new lathe, a Record Power Herald. Just got it asembled and running but not used yet.

Impressed with its smoothness and quiteness

The only one I have came in a set and seems too large for me. I have been eyeing up the new slimline ones from axy.
https://www.axminstertools.com/crown-cryo-colwin-way-signature-skew-chisel-12mm-104716

If you struggle with a larger one you'll probably struggle as much or more with a narrow one. Get yourself some of this - (hunt around for the best price)
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/10mmx200...rds=10mm+round+hss+bar&qid=1609679489&sr=8-26and make yourself a round skew - easier to use than flat ones. If you must have a flat one, make sure the side is rounded.

If you struggle with a larger one you'll probably struggle as much or more with a narrow one. Get yourself some of this - (hunt around for the best price)
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/10mmx200mm-Speed-Steel-Carbide-Lathe/dp/B00MJSS64I/ref=sr_1_26?dchild=1&keywords=10mm+round+hss+bar&qid=1609679489&sr=8-26 and make yourself a round skew - easier to use than flat ones. If you must have a flat one, make sure the side is rounded.
That type of description - which I see far too often on Amazon - makes my blood boil!!!

It's NOT CARBIDE at all, it may well be some variant of HSS but HSS is not carbide and that term is there simply to imply that it is a superior product.
Why Amazon allow such mal-description is beyond me, they ought to remove any product with an incorrect description!

That type of description - which I see far too often on Amazon - makes my blood boil!!!

It's NOT CARBIDE at all, it may well be some variant of HSS but HSS is not carbide and that term is there simply to imply that it is a superior product.
Why Amazon allow such mal-description is beyond me, they ought to remove any product with an incorrect description!
Certainly. I picked that one pretty much at random, and just presume HSS. (I didn't actually notice the carbide bit).

I use the skew a fair bit.
Raise the rest a little more than you would with a gouge and go in easy.
I often use it for shaping the exterior and rims of bowls, always avoiding contact on the tip of the blade.
Only time I use the tip is on tenons as it makes a stunning dovetail for the chuck to grip to.

Back